Canned tuna ideas

Add your favorite recipes.

Canned tuna ideas

Postby sidrah » July 3rd, 2006, 10:25 pm

I have literally 50+ cans of tuna in the cabinet. Aside from the obvious tuna salad, I sometimes make it hot in an omelette with cheese. My mom always gagged at the thought of ot tune like in a casserole.

Anyway, any ideas you guys can share about how you eat it now. I was thinking it can be mixed with salad dressing in place of mayo..just add in the onion and celery. Any other ideas you have been cooking? Hot or cold.
sidrah
Preferred member

Postby Serendipity » July 4th, 2006, 5:13 am

Sidrah, I love tuna and have it at least once a week. I make tuna salad with tuna, diced onions, celery, tomato, dill pickle....whatever I have on hand. To this I add 2 tbl. of low fat ranch dressing or no fat walden farms dressing. I pile the tuna salad onto my salad greens. To me, this tastes just like the old way with mayo.

I used to put tuna salad on toast with cheese and bake it in a toaster oven. To do that now, I would need to find a base.....maybe roasted zucchini or turnips?? I would skip the cheese of course, but the tuna tastes great heated. I think I'll try it!
jo
276/135 since December 1, 2006
"Grandma, how did you make yourself so little?", My grandson, Jake
Serendipity
Preferred Member - #140 Club
Preferred Member - #140 Club

Postby Ketann » July 4th, 2006, 5:25 am

I've been mixing it with zesty Italian salad dressing for years. That's my favorite. Sometimes I use a spicy mustard instead. I like the omelet idea. I put salmon in omelettes. Yum. You could also try making tuna patties. I mix 1/4 - 1/3 cup of egg beaters to 6 oz tuna, then spices (garlic powder, onion, pepper, whatever sounds good). Instead of 1 patty, I make 4 or 5 small patties. They ar easy to flip that way. Hope that helps.
Ketann
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby sidrah » July 4th, 2006, 6:56 pm

Good ideas, especially considering there were like 40 typos in that original post.

When I make salmon omelettes, I add cream cheese (not now, but I did).

Tuna melts are great....maybe using the cheese soy crisps as crackers would work for that taste.
sidrah
Preferred member

Postby SharonR » July 7th, 2006, 3:14 pm

I can't tell you how happy I am to run across this thread. I am going to have Tuna tomorrow :mrgreen: I have been looking at my cans wondering what in the world to do with them.

Thanks guys!
Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

Start Weight 326.7 ~ My short term goal will put me at 250!

Started June 19th 2008. First Mini Goal 76.7 pounds.
SharonR
Preferred member

Postby SharonR » July 13th, 2006, 3:15 pm

Ketann wrote: You could also try making tuna patties. I mix 1/4 - 1/3 cup of egg beaters to 6 oz tuna, then spices (garlic powder, onion, pepper, whatever sounds good). Instead of 1 patty, I make 4 or 5 small patties. They ar easy to flip that way. Hope that helps.

Okay, YUM YUM YUM is all I have to say. I made this last night...wow, so so good. Kinda funny, I havn't stopped thinking about it all day. They got nice and crisp and so tasty. I put a sliced up scallion from my garden it it also...so good.

Can you tell I love food!? :|
Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

Start Weight 326.7 ~ My short term goal will put me at 250!

Started June 19th 2008. First Mini Goal 76.7 pounds.
SharonR
Preferred member

Return to Lean Cuisine