Canned tuna----Delmonte Petite Diced Tomatoes

Add your favorite recipes.

Canned tuna----Delmonte Petite Diced Tomatoes

Postby Ct. Yankee » April 1st, 2006, 8:46 pm

I use two 3oz cans of tuna, drained. If I want, then I will add a couple of tablespoons of low fat cottage cheese on the side, to make up the oz difference.

I bought the Delmonte diced tomatoes, and added it to the chili and also to some soups. Yum! The tomatoes are fresh, and seasoned with garlic, basil and oregano. I had noticed that the sugar content was 4 gm per 1/2 cup. In a tablespoon or so, the sugar gram would only be about 1gm, less than the salad dressings we use on MF. I just want to be sure that it is alright to use these tomatoes. They sure add a nice little extra something in the food. If anyone knows if these tomatoes are 'legal', please let us know. Thanks. Joan
Ct. Yankee
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby DogMa » April 1st, 2006, 9:19 pm

The sugar is IN the tomatoes (rather than added to them), and tomatoes are an allowed veggie so they're OK in moderation. I wouldn't eat 'em as my whole veggie allotment, though, because they're so high in carbs.
Robin

203/130/130
Reached goal in August 2006
Added BodyBugg in May 2009
New ticker: 136.6/123.2/130
DogMa
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby Nancy » April 2nd, 2006, 9:22 am

Hi, Joan and welcome to you.

Yes, it is fine to use a combination of tuna and low fat cottage cheese together for the lean portion of the Lean and Green as long as the measurements of the two equals the full portion. 3.5 ounces of tuna and .5 cups of low fat cottage cheese.

re: DelMonte Tomatoes

We are permitted to use one to two TEAspoons of ketchup, mustard or barbecue sauce.

The Quick Start booklet no longer includes salsa in its listing of acceptable condiments (and I really don't :huh: know why...) however, I will just say this, many of us have used salsa for a very very long time as an addition to the HomeStyle Chili or Minestrone Soup and we lost weight with no problems.

Tomatoes do contain natural sugars and that's part of their charm, isn't it?

They taste good!

A teaspoon or two of the seasoned DelMonte canned tomatoes sounds like it is very similar to salsa or ketchup at first glance so I looked at the nutritional analysis.

Here's what I found:

Amount Per 1/2 CUP Serving

Calories 50

Sodium 650 mg

Total Carbohydrates 11 g

Sugars 8 g

Protein 2 g

Here’s the skinny on ketchup:

1 Tablespoon = 15 calories
Sodium 190 mg
Carbs 4 g
Sugars 4 g
Protein 0 g

***There are 7 Tablespoons in ½ Cup – you’ll have to do your own kitchen math, Folks.

:tomato: Please know that I really don’t have the time to always run to the kitchen and measure things for you – I measured water by the tablespoon and dumped it into my measuring cup. You may get a different measurement than I did…

So….when I divide the nutritional values for the canned tomatoes by 7 to get the per Tablespoon values, I get less than the values for the ketchup. My unofficial kitchen math tells me that the canned tomatoes are ‘cheaper’ calorically and carb-wise than ketchup.

:secret: If it were me and I found that I could enjoy the Chili or the Minestrone soup more, if I were not a diabetic person, and it helped me to stick to the program and not eat off the plan, I’d probably eat the tomatoes.

:oops: People, I am not a nutritionist; I am not a mathematician…

If you have a burning desire to know the real answers to these types of questions, please write to the Medifast/TSFL Nutritionist. She is trained in this are, she works at it full time and she gets paid to do it. I am just a grown up girl who lost a load of lardage by sticking to the book! ;)
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club

Delmonte tomatoes

Postby Ct. Yankee » April 2nd, 2006, 9:25 am

What a nice added flavor these tomatoes add to soups, chili, as mentioned. Pretty nifty sprinkled on fish and meat and salads as well.

Just had a strawberry shake with banana extract. Wow! I know, I know, I am just starting out and guess not too inventive or creative yet.

7lbs gone in my first week and certainly not all water, as I would have floated away into the Gulf of Mexico by now!! Good luck to all! I am probably not posting interesting things, but I want to be part of this wonderful group as I get onboard! Thanks! Joan
Ct. Yankee
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby Nancy » April 2nd, 2006, 9:39 am

Joan just informed me her favored tomatoes are FRESH, not canned...better yet as there would be less sodium, eh?

Continue to enjoy those fresh tomatoes!
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy

Return to Lean Cuisine