Bike Shopping

Give us the skinny in the losers lounge.
(Anything off topic)

Bike Shopping

Postby Lasi » August 5th, 2007, 10:51 am

Got off track some yesterday, but still lost. I got right back on plan. I have been trying to buy a bike. Bought one from Walmart, took it back. The fender was rubbing. I have also looked at a bike shop, but they were expensive for me.

Took the bike back to Walmart and we tried about four bikes and something was wrong with all of them. My dh pumped the tires on each one and I tried to ride them. I can't stay in big box stores long, I think it is the lighting. I get sweaty and feel the need to escape. I had knee surgery a year and 1/2 ago. My knee still hurts a little when trying to ride a bike. I did ok with the one at the bike shop. Anyway, I was possibly having a panic attack or a nerves attack or something. I was sweating, breathing hard. Someone working there went and got a drink for me. It was an awful experience.

I am going to cough up the extra money and buy a good one. They will adjust everything for me. I can try it out in the parking lot at the bike store.

I came home and had a shake, now for a nap.
Lasi
Begin 7/16/07
301/274.8
Lasi
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby queenielou » August 5th, 2007, 4:52 pm

Hey Lasi,

Not sure if you meant to start this thread here, but I'll be interested to hear what type of bike you buy. I, too, have put off buying one from a bike shop due to the expense and the imminent cold weather. I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars only to be able to ride for a couple of months.

Take care.
Start: 4/21/2007
queenielou
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Postby Mike » August 5th, 2007, 5:40 pm

I moved this thread here as it seems most appropriate and you have a regular journal started.

;)
Pre WLS 460
Low after WLS 300
Start of MF 350
Previous MF low 280
Restart MF 330

I have to be careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business.
Mike
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby Jan » August 5th, 2007, 6:16 pm

Hi Lasi,
My 28 and 31 year old "kids" both love to ride their bikes . They got theirs at the bike shop . I'm quite certain they didn't purchase the most expensive .. theirs were most likely in the $400 - $500 range. My daughter had her knee reconstructed when she was 24 and has had to be careful ever since. Her Dr. recommended she have the bike "fitted" to her so as not to put stress on the knee. She rides a lot with no problem. Our son is 6'5" tall so he has to have a special bike. Plus he does a lot of mountain biking so breaks the "bottom brakets" hmmmm not quite certain exactly what that is .. but he says it doesn't pay to buy an inexpensive bike.
Goooood for you .. you're going to be getting lots of exercise and living the E in BeSlim!!
jan
Jan
Preferred member

Postby Mike » August 5th, 2007, 8:02 pm

I forgot to respond to the thread.

I bought really good trail/road bikes for Diana and I about 2 years ago. One was a current year model and one was on sale as last years model (I had never realized that they had models like cars now :roll: )

Anyhow, I totally feel that the extra is worth it. I think I paid $300 for one and $350 for the other. I believe Raleigh is the brand name. Our local bike shop has nice deals. Check around and see which will offer the best deal.

:mrgreen:
Pre WLS 460
Low after WLS 300
Start of MF 350
Previous MF low 280
Restart MF 330

I have to be careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business.
Mike
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Post your bike questions, I work for Specialized Bicycles :)

Postby Mike L. » August 21st, 2007, 11:19 am

Ask away fellow Medifasters, I work in the MarCom group for Specialized Bicycles and can most definitely help you out on anything and everything bike related. Just an FYI, the bike you are going to get from Wal-Mart is more than likely NOT put together properly, and the quality of bike is much lower. Most likely the reason why the fender was rubbing on the bike.

I would recommend that you perhaps go to a local bike shop and ride around on some of the bikes they have. Then hit up Craigslist and look around for the one you liked and purchase it (usually for about 1/3 of the price the shop is looking for).

Always take it to your local shop for a tune up post purchase! I definitely do not want any of you guys to start riding for it to fall apart/break on ya! :D
Mike L.

Postby Lasi » August 21st, 2007, 11:30 am

I ended up going to a bike shop and got a good bike.

thanks,
Lasi
Begin 7/16/07
301/274.8
Lasi

Postby Serendipity » August 21st, 2007, 1:41 pm

Lasi, Do tell! What did you end up getting? I just got a new Trek bike and love it. My hubbie's bike was expensive (over $1,200), but mine was only about $500. There were several for less than $500 that would have worked but weren't as cute. :mrgreen:
jo
276/135 since December 1, 2006
"Grandma, how did you make yourself so little?", My grandson, Jake
Serendipity
Preferred Member - #140 Club
Preferred Member - #140 Club

Postby Lasi » August 21st, 2007, 7:25 pm

It is KHS TC100 Teal. I have ridden it once for about 15 min. It is so hot here. I also had knee replacement in 2006 so my knee has to get stronger. I guess I will have to wait for cooler weather.

It was 101 her today. And no rain for a long time.
Lasi
Begin 7/16/07
301/274.8
Lasi

Postby alpha femme » August 22nd, 2007, 1:15 am

i have a specialized hardrock. it's nothing fancy, but it's very, very durable. i recommend it o anyone who wants to get into biking without spending a fortune. the frame is also well-crafted, so if you want to upgrade to better components later, you have a solid base to work with.
alpha femme
Preferred member

Postby bikipatra » August 22nd, 2007, 1:39 am

Serendipity wrote: There were several for less than $500 that would have worked but weren't as cute. :mrgreen:

I would love to see a picture of you on your bike! I know you have a digital camera so you have no excuses. I need to see Joleen on her cute bike. I can print it out and put it by my computer and look at it for 2 weeks in September when she is abandoning me, errr, I mean going on vacation...
Restart Date: January 1, 2010
12/31/09 226.8
226.8/218/135
bikipatra
Preferred Member - #100 Club
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Postby Mike L. » August 22nd, 2007, 11:40 am

alpha femme wrote:i have a specialized hardrock. it's nothing fancy, but it's very, very durable. i recommend it o anyone who wants to get into biking without spending a fortune. the frame is also well-crafted, so if you want to upgrade to better components later, you have a solid base to work with.

Great choice, its an excellent bike :) Also, if you do ever have a problem with the frame, they are covered with a lifetime warranty
Mike L.

Return to What's Shakin'