I'm back, but starting with disappointing weight news!

Introduce yourself to the forum.
(Guests Welcome)

I'm back, but starting with disappointing weight news!

Postby fedup » June 1st, 2005, 10:29 am

Alright. Here goes. Time for my complete confession. When I did medifast last fall, I started weighing in at 190. In 8 weeks I dropped 30 pounds, taking me to 160. Just 10 pounds from my goal of 150. THEN..... :cry: Went on a cruise, then came the holidays, add in tons of life stress and me coping very poorly, possible medication problem, and...... All the weight came back plus more. When I weighed my self about 2 weeks ago I was 200 pounds. 10 more than my highest before. I had gained 40 pounds in 5 pounds! Okay, I dealt with it. Very disappointed in myself, but I worked through it. Ready to start again! Thanks to all of you who helped support me in that decision. Then...

Here's the part that devastated me yet again. Today, my official Day 1, when I got on that scale I figured I may have gained a few more pounds. I guessed I'd be around 205 for my start weight. WELL!!! I weighed 225 pounds this morning! How can this be! I gained 20 pounds in 2 weeks????
Yes, I had been making the same bad choices that led me to gain 40 in 5 months, but 20 in 2 weeks?? Is that even possible!

So here I am. I'm still starting, I'm still giving it my all, and I didn't give in to the "why bother" self-talk that started as soon as I saw I was starting 20 pounds more than I thought. I'm going to do this! But does anyone have any thoughts on the 20 pounds in 2 weeks thing!?? Help!!

As far as day 1 goes, I 'm drinking my water, had my shake this morning and bar for lunch. In a while it'll be shake time again. I know the first few days will get tough, I know I can do this. (Hey, I did before! I just need to transition to maintenance smarter this time!)

20 pounds in 2 weeks... I'm still blown away here. I do take an anti-depressant, and a few months ago my Dr. doubled the dose. Could this be part of problem? Just can't fathom 20 pounds in 2 weeks though, why now and why so sudden!

Sorry so long
Christy 5'5" age-34
Fresh start: Sept. 15, 2005 (240/ 240/ 160)
"Time to 'release the butterfly' inside
fedup
Trusted Member

Postby noexcuse » June 1st, 2005, 10:54 am

Hi Christi,

Unfortunately I don’t have any great medical advice to give you but I am sure Nancy or one of the health advisors will be around to help. I just wanted to say congrats on starting :D It can be really tough to start again even with the added pounds but you have a positive attitude which is half the battle…you know from past experience that you can do it…you will get to your goal. :yes:

As for the extra weight in 2 wks I am sure some is from water and I know if I am not watching closely I get way to much salt because of eating out …but don’t worry you will do great!!!!
You are already on top of the game by being aware and have started your day one …you already have success b/c you started…. and from your previous experience in the past you know Medifast will work…. you can do this…. so keep smiling and shakin
Eccl 3:1 To everything there is a season, a time for every purpose under heaven. (Now is the time to acheive your goal)

Ali
noexcuse
Regular Member - #20 Club

Postby KeleeGrl » June 1st, 2005, 11:03 am

Hi Christy...sometimes those numbers can just devistate you. A week before I started MF I ate everything that I could get my hands on....thinking..I'm going to be starting MF, whats a week going to do eating like this...well I weighed 10 more pounds then I thought I was going to start at. It catches up with you quickly unfortunately. Keep your head up high...that 20 and more will be off real soon! And welcome back!
Kelli
Re-re-restarted MF: 3/10/08

KeleeGrl
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Postby Tk » June 1st, 2005, 11:07 am

Dear Christi;
Just hang in there. It could be your medication. I have also in the past have gained 20 lbs in 2 weeks. Most of it is probably water. I have sever edema due to not having a thyroid. I take various medications for thyroid disease, in which I cannot lose the weight as fast as the next person. This program is a God send for me. In 1 month I have lost 12 1/2 lbs. That for me is remarkable. I take one day at a time. I am not perfect everyday. I don't look back when I make a mistake, I move forward and tommorrow is another day. You can do this - and good luck!!!
Tk
Trusted Member - #30 Club

Postby Guest » June 1st, 2005, 2:52 pm

I'm hanging in there! Thanks for the responses. Any advice (or even just relating) that anyone can offer about the 2 week weight surge is appreciated!

I made an appt. with my Dr. to talk about it on Monday. I'll let everyone know his verdict. Hopefully by then I'll already be back on my way down the scale! Today is still day 1, but I'm still hanging in, so that's something! ;)

just like last time around, I just know I'm gonna be so thankful for this forum. If it wasn't for this forum last time I know I couldn't have done it. My SO can be a great guy, and he truly does mean to be supportive, but sometimes he just says the WRONG thing! When I told him about how devastated about I was to be weighing in 20 pounds more than 2 weeks ago, he wasn't very useful! :roll: All I wanted to hear was "it's probably water weight, maybe a medication problem, if you gained it so quick it can off just as quick, YOU CAN DO IT!" Is that so hard??? It's like I need to hand him a script or something! :mrgreen: He instead said well, "you know how you've been eating," and when I talked about support he said "you should call a woman friend 'cause they're better at this." I don't mean to make him sound like a jerk, he's actually a wonderful person, but just not very good at this type of stuff!

Postby doreenq » June 2nd, 2005, 8:10 am

Welcome back Christi , I know how you feel about the surge, I did a 15 lb surge in 2 weeks myself !! Now youre here & this is the last time you'll see those digits !!! :D This forum is fabulous !!! I was slow losing , went on the complete program , and poof its coming off ! So will yours !!
This is the best place to be ! Good luck !! :mrgreen:
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]
doreenq

Postby Nancy » June 2nd, 2005, 10:46 am

Christi ~

Many times our friends and SOs have no idea what to say. They want to encourage us and they want us to be successful. I know my husband was fearful of having me fall apart again. I had tried so many other diets and failed each time – gaining more weight than my original start weight. Poor guy – he’s been thru so much with me – he hated to see me waste more $$$$ so he was cautious at first.

If they say, "That's o.k. Don't be so hard on yourself. You CAN do it, let's just get on the program now and start over.” That can make them feel awkward – it makes them feel like they are really saying, "You are fat and we all know it. Just do it."

If they say, “Aww, hunny! Too bad – it is just your medication. It will come off really fast because it is just fluid retention.” That can be construed as, “Aww, too bad. What’s that? AGAIN…more water weight? Are you kidding? I saw you pork out on pizza the other night with me.”

Sometimes our friends and partners are afraid that we will be get crazy and not allow them to go about their foody ways any more. (I know I can get really cranky when I am dieting – I don’t want anyone to have my foody friends over – no popcorn, no pizza, no Spunk and no Meier, no chocolate, no Hagen and no Daas, etc.) They find it easier to say nothing than to say something wrong and they feel like whatever they say is always wrong.

The important thing is this, you are here now. You want help, you are doing the best you can to understand the program and you drew the line in the sand. Today is your day, Christi. You are making healthful food choices.

Let’s not worry about those pounds, how they got there or what they mean. In light of your decision to get back on the Mediwagon, let’s just concentrate on doing the things that lead to a successful weight loss journey: eating all meals on time, not skipping meals, drinking plenty of water, eating the foods on the list of acceptable vegetable choices and moving through your day with resolve and determination. Victory is yours if you do it; it will show on the scale, in the way your clothing fits and how you look.
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club

Postby martha » June 7th, 2005, 8:43 am

CHRISTI--Just checking in to see how you are doing.. I know about the weight regain and about wanting to beat yourself up over it.. when I first started regaining my weight back after a large weight loss I was so mad that I would say okay this week I'm 200 wonder if I will be 210 next week.. :x and because of that thought I would be. :x :x . i was so angry at myself then that I would just eat some more with the promise of restarting tomorrow..of course tomorrow never came until i had gained alot of the weight back and finally figured out it was my fault and not anyone else's.. after all they didn't force me to eat it. BUT since I have found MF and this forum and took the first step toward regaining my sanity as well as my life and destiny..well boy oh boy how things have changed.. just wanted you to know we all understand how you feel and are here for you when the need arises..anytime day or night.. keep your chin up and good luck.. just wanted you to know you are thought of today.. :lol: --Martha
Started MF-4/18/2005
MELTING THE POUNDS AWAY!!!!!!!!
267.5/189.5/130
martha
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Return to Come on in.