August 2007 Medifast Specials & Muffin Recipe

Check in for our Monthly Specials.

Postby Nancy » August 3rd, 2007, 8:15 am

:wave: Hullo there, Everyone ~

We just :drive: returned from the Take Shape For Life Convention in Keystone, Colorado; the altitude there is about 9500 feet above sea level.

As my husband and I were walking in the greenway today we remarked about how much easier it is to :weightlift: exercise and how our walk seemed effortless at 43 feet above sea level here in Vancouver, Washington. Since it seemed easier, he thought we ought to step it up; I ran to catch up with him. Never in my wildest dreams would I ever believe this formerly porky person could :puma: run and enjoy it!

I love my :yippee: thinny body and the effects of losing my lardiness also means I am much more active.

Generally we think of summer vacation just beginning with the start of August and yet we already note signs of fall with the leaves of some trees beginning to turn brown and crunchy.

School-age kids love playing soccer, baseball and kickball in the vacant lots until late and :table: balk when Mom or Dad whistle for them to come in.

Needing a healthy snack to keep the kids fueled up? :huh:

Medifast continues to offer the S’more Granola bar on sale for $13 per box. Regularly $15.25 per box, these protein-packed power bars are nutritious and chewy.

We like to take them with us in our back pocket or fanny pack when we hike; the marshmallows and chocolate chippers soften and the flavor is great! Order some in preparation for vacation or after school snacks for the kids and grown-ups. The sale price makes each bar about $1.86 – what a great deal for a convenient and healthy meal replacement or a nutritious snack. While supplies last….

Also featured this month is Blueberry Oatmeal for $12.50 per box. (Regularly $14.50 per box)
Oatmeal isn’t just for breakfast – some thinnin’ folks like to have it in the evening, too.

In addition to the above sale items, the following Medifast meal bars continue to be on sale this month again this month while supplies last.
Lemon Yogurt Bars $7.99 per box (Regularly $15.25)
Fruit & Nut Granola Bars $13 per box (Regularly $15.25)
Diabetic Peanut Butter Crunch Bars $7.99 per box (Reg. $15.25)
Diabetic Chocolate Crunch Bars $7.99 per box (Reg. $15.25)

We do not recommend that people on the 5 & 1 Meal Plan for weight loss use more than one meal bar per day due to the higher caloric and carbohydrate content of the meal bars; however, many of us who are on the weight management phase are able to eat two meal bars per day.

Although I am not diabetic, I enjoy the Diabetic Peanut Butter Crunch bar at the mid-point of my daily 5 mile walk. I like the peanutty taste and the energy boost they give to me. There are zero sugars in the Diabetic PB bar. Some people prefer the regular bar line when working out because the sugars/carbs give them quick recovery from a fast-paced caloric burn prior to following a work-out.

While the weather is nice, move it!

Our risk for diabetes grows with a sedentary life style.
Sedentary behavior may slow our cells’ glucose metabolism and sittin’ around for more than three hours at a stretch can cause a rise in our blood sugar.

The remedy: Move it! Pump it up! Walk it off!

:hmmm: Food For Thought

:shades: Check out the comparison between Quaker® Oats “Take Heart” Blueberry oatmeal and Medifast Blueberry Oatmeal:

Quaker Oats

160 calories
Protein 4 grams
Carbohydrates 33 grams
Fat 2.5 g
Dietary fiber 6 grams
Sodium 105 mg
Potassium 360 mg
Sugars 9 grams

>5 grams sugars = Not Approved for Diabetics

Medifast Blueberry Oatmeal

100 calories
Protein 11 grams
Carbs 15 grams
Fat 1.5 grams
Dietary fiber 5 grams
Sodium 140 mg
Potassium 280 mg
Sugars 1 gram

<5 grams of sugars = Approved for Diabetics :yes:

Remember….Oatmeal isn’t just for breakfast; enjoy it in the evening as the final packet of the day. :snooze:

Many of you like to bake your oatmeal into muffins. Here’s a great recipe from Julie Olizewski in Bradenton, Florida:

3 packets of Medifast Oatmeal
1 packet of Medifast Scrambled Eggs
1-2 teaspoons of fresh baking powder
1 teaspoon of Vanilla extract
1 teaspoon of any other extract (we like to use Lemon Extract with Blueberry Oatmeal, Almond & Banana Extract with Maple Brown Sugar Oatmeal)
1/4 cup of ground flaxseed meal (buy it at the health food store)
1 cup of water

Mix ingredients until well-moistened.
Spray muffin cups with Pam and spoon into regular-size muffin tins.

Bake 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes (ovens vary). Remove immediately from muffin pan.

Makes 8 muffins

2 muffins = 1 meal

Side effects: Jeans with loose waistbands and baggy buns. :thumbup:
Rx: shop for smaller clothing… :cateye:
Last edited by Nancy on August 3rd, 2007, 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club

Postby nickieluv » August 3rd, 2007, 9:45 am

Are they still running the special on diabetic chocolate crunch and chocolate peanut butter bars, and the lemon yogurt bars? I called in my order and they told me yes, but I don't see it mentioned here....
nickieluv
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Postby DonnaS » August 3rd, 2007, 11:15 am

I will have to give that recipe a try. Can't get over the difference in nutrients of the two oatmeals.

So are we going to see some new pictures posted from the convention? I love pictures.
THERE IS NO FAILURE EXCEPT IN NO LONGER TRYING - - ELBERT HUBBARD

SD 06/05/07
240/206.5/135
Restart 2/18/08
DonnaS
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby Nancy » August 3rd, 2007, 11:44 am

Yeppers...those Diabetic Peanut Butter Crunch Bars, the Diabetic Chocolate Crunch Bars, the Lemon Yogurt Bars are all on sale for $7.99 per box plus the Fruit & Nut Granola Bars are on sale for $13 per box.

I apologize for initially not including them in my list above (note I edited my original post) because the company did NOT send the other items in their TSFL E Update. Nickie, I appreciate you for your inquiry and assistance - many hands make the work lighter and the waistband smaller!
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy

Postby Serendipity » August 3rd, 2007, 4:40 pm

many of us who are on the weight management phase are able to eat two meal bars per day.

GASP!!! :shock:

I think this chickie will stick with one per day. :angel: [/i]
jo
276/135 since December 1, 2006
"Grandma, how did you make yourself so little?", My grandson, Jake
Serendipity
Preferred Member - #140 Club
Preferred Member - #140 Club

Postby nickieluv » August 4th, 2007, 6:03 am

Thanks for giving me the official word, Nancy. I have discovered I love those diabetic chocolate crunch bars but I imagine they're on sale because they're clearing out stock for a 'reformulation,' huh? Well, I'll have to enjoy them while I can get them. I can always go back to chocolate mint someday.
nickieluv
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Re: August 2007 Medifast Specials & Muffin Recipe

Postby Mike » August 5th, 2007, 5:59 pm

Nancy wrote:Many of you like to bake your oatmeal into muffins. Here’s a great recipe from Julie Olizewski in Bradenton, Florida:

3 packets of Medifast Oatmeal
1 packet of Medifast Scrambled Eggs
1-2 teaspoons of fresh baking powder
1 teaspoon of Vanilla extract
1 teaspoon of any other extract (we like to use Lemon Extract with Blueberry Oatmeal, Almond & Banana Extract with Maple Brown Sugar Oatmeal)
1/4 cup of ground flaxseed meal (buy it at the health food store)
1 cup of water

Mix ingredients until well-moistened.
Spray muffin cups with Pam and spoon into regular-size muffin tins.

Bake 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes (ovens vary). Remove immediately from muffin pan.

Makes 8 muffins

2 muffins = 1 meal

Side effects: Jeans with loose waistbands and baggy buns. :thumbup:
Rx: shop for smaller clothing… :cateye: [/size]

Nancy,

Should that be 1/2 t.? 1 to 2 teaspoons just seems like way alot. They would rise into the ceiling ;)

Sounds yummy though. :mrgreen:
Pre WLS 460
Low after WLS 300
Start of MF 350
Previous MF low 280
Restart MF 330

I have to be careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business.
Mike
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby Nancy » August 7th, 2007, 9:13 am

Hey there, Chef Mike ~

I double-checked the recipe and it does say 'one to two teaspoons.' I used one teaspoon and it worked just fine.

Hmmm....maybe the secret is to use two teaspoons and those muffins will be so light and fluffy, we'll have lift-off from eating them! That may be especially good just prior to our weigh-in day, eh?
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy

Postby Mike » August 8th, 2007, 11:09 pm

:roflmao: :roflmao:

Yeah, never thought of that. Does inhaling helium before weigh in help? :roll:

As for the recipe, we'll have to try it. Just since the cookie recipe says 1/8 t., 1-2 t. sounded like a whole lot.

I need to get the recipe Joe used for his muffins. They looked like scones.
Can't wait for the book.
Gotta find that grill too.

:mrgreen:
Pre WLS 460
Low after WLS 300
Start of MF 350
Previous MF low 280
Restart MF 330

I have to be careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business.
Mike
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby bdg » August 9th, 2007, 11:23 am

We made those muffins last night and absolutely loved them. We made blueberry ones and we made apple cinnamon ones. Loved both types. Really didn't see much difference going from 1 tsp to 2 tsp on the different batches.
Start date: April 8, 2006
bdg
Preferred Member - #190 Club
Preferred Member - #190 Club

Return to Monthly Specials