Are your kids on the same train?

Questions/Comments about Weight loss Products.

Are your kids on the same train?

Postby explorthis » February 24th, 2004, 1:59 pm

Poll, or comment.. Out of curiosity, how many of you have kids that have adopted your good or bad eating habits? Are your kids overweight, and on the same train as you are? If they are NOT, tell us why not. What do they do different, besides run around all day and exert energy?

I read and re-read numerous articles, now that I have become “weight conscious” and it scares me to death to think my kids are (were) on the same path as I am (was), destined to be FAT.

I have 2 girls (as most of you know) 1 just turned 13, and the other is 2-1/2 going on 13. Neither is at all overweight. My 13 year old especially is perfectly proportioned for her size, a little taller than normal, and weighs in at a svelte 93# (93 point 50 if you ask her, because of that darn scale my Mom got me for Xmas) Both do however have the Dad eating habits (or the old ones anyway) Junkfood-drive-thru-aholics as this is how I raised them.

I am slowly moving the food curve to the healthy one for them, weaning them off of the fat tablets. I know kids need fat and calories as they are growing. To an extent anyway. I have not totally ruled out all junk, but since I do the grocery shopping, the pantry is much healthier.

Just wondering if any of your kids are in the same boat as you…..

-------------------

Snippet of an article I read:

Researchers say the figures, which also show that girls are getting fatter quicker than boys, are proof of the alarming growth in child obesity in the UK.

One of the authors, Dr Mary Rudolf of East Leeds Primary Care Trust, says in British Medical Journal: "This figure is all the more disturbing when one reflects on how many notches on a belt this represents."

Waist size is seen as an important indicator because of the link between abnormal girth in adulthood and increased risk of heart disease.
Researchers weighed and measured 500 children from 18 schools from 1996 to 2001 and compared the figures to past research.

In the final year, 315 children from the group, of average age 13, were examined and it was found their gain in weight had exceeded what would be expected against a normal gain in height.

In 1996 one in ten boys and one in eight girls were overweight; by 2001 one in seven boys and one in six girls were overweight.
explorthis
Preferred Member - #100 Club
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Postby Indigo » February 24th, 2004, 5:22 pm

My son was getting plump @ age 13. He decided to eat less, did, and has been the right weight (or a little on the skinny side) since then (he's 18 now). But he's just wired differently than I am. Even as a little kid, he'd have a bowl of ice cream in front of him, stop when he'd had enough and push the rest of it away. Believe me, it's NOT something he learned from me!!

I think some of it is genetic, some of it is learned. He, fortunately, didn't get the 'carb-craving' genetics from my side of the family . . .
Laurie
2/14/04~ :heart:
247/222.4/150, ~modifasting~
Indigo
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby brandymom » February 25th, 2004, 8:45 am

My hubby is very thin and looks great...in fact his whole family does, so my kids (so far) have his genes. I mentioned earlier that I have an 11 mo old daughter. I am doing this for her as well, my boys dont care what I look like, but I dont want my daughter growing up with me constantly dieting...this has to be a permanent change. I want to be a healthy active mom...for years and years to come! ;)
brandymom

Postby kdluster » February 25th, 2004, 9:55 am

Both of my kids were "big" when they were born, so much so - that I was induced early both times by two weeks. Each one weighed over 8lbs - which doesn't seem that big to me...

My four year old does not seem to have any food or eating issues, he eats when he is hungry and stops when he is full. He is pretty slim for his age - the size 3 pants fit him in the waist, but are short in the leg and the size fours fall off :D - unfortunately, he is all too familiar with the golden archs, etc... My husband and are trying to get him to eat healthier - even started serving carrot sticks with his mac and cheese and he's eating them! Once I have reached my goal weight and we are all eating the same thing for dinner - we will all be having healthier choices!
Karen
February 17, 2004
246/187/165
kdluster
Regular Member - #30 Club

Return to Weight Loss