Anyone live in Colorado?

Give us the skinny in the losers lounge.
(Anything off topic)

Anyone live in Colorado?

Postby Sablebaby » July 22nd, 2006, 8:02 am

I was checking out some info on Denver/Boulder area. I kinda want to move somewhere a bit cooler. My bestfriend wants to move to Dallas, but they are hot AND humid!

I was looking at the real estate market a bit and it looks good, a lot better than AZ. How is the weather, is it humid? How bad are the winters? School systems? Job market? Any areas to stay clear from? Any info on CO would be great!
Heather
Sablebaby
Trusted Member

Postby DogMa » July 22nd, 2006, 8:59 am

I used to live in Denver; now I live in Arlington, near Dallas. Go figure.

Denver is definitely NOT humid. It's dry as a bone, and the altitude makes it feel even drier. The altitude also takes quite a bit of getting used to; you'll feel far more out of shape there.

Summers can get hot, but not like Arizona. It's uaually in the 90s, although they've had their share of days in the low 100s. In August, they get thunderstorms pretty much every afternoon. It'll storm like crazy for half an hour or so, then clear up and be beautiful.

Winters get cold, and they obviously get snow. Last winter was brutal (below zero for an extended period), but it's usually not that bad. I also lived there during the big blizzard in 2003.

On the other hand, the fall colors are beautiful, the mountains are lovely and close by, and I've never seen more perfect skies (bright blue, with big puffy white clouds) a lot of the time.

Have you visited there much? You definitely should spend some time there before you decide, and see how you do with the altitude. They keep oxygen backstage at all the concert venues because it's a problem for people who aren't used to it. The dryness can be a big problem, too. All the stores carry shelves and shelves of saline spray for dry sinuses, and moisturizers and lip balms, and there are constant warnings to drink lots of water.
Robin

203/130/130
Reached goal in August 2006
Added BodyBugg in May 2009
New ticker: 136.6/123.2/130
DogMa
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby Sablebaby » July 22nd, 2006, 1:39 pm

Robin, thanks for the info.

I was born in AZ and have always lived here. It's very dry here, but for me it's normal, that's why I have such a hard time with humidity.

I have never visited, but have been hearing good things about it there. My BF and I are always looking for somewhere to go. He hates it here as he is from Chicago and the midwest. The allergies are bad here for him. Since my friend has been researching Texas I thought I would start looking around.

I just want somewhere that is nice, with good weather. Some snow is fine and some heat, and four seasons would be a treat! I love AZ in the fall, winter, and spring months as far as weather, but I'm tired of this record breaking heat!

I'll have to figure out this altitude thing. How high is it? Other than that, it sounds great. I will definitely have to go visit.
Heather
Sablebaby
Trusted Member

Postby Janae » July 22nd, 2006, 2:20 pm

Denver is known as the "mile high city"!!

It is beautiful there...and I just read that Fort Collins...just north of Denver in the foothills of the Rockies was voted as the #1 city in the US in which to live!! (Who does these polls anyway?)

I spent many years living in the extreme western side of Nebraska and Denver was a three hour drive...We went there alot for fun and shopping...and skiing!

Janae
Janae
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby DogMa » July 22nd, 2006, 8:55 pm

Yep, it's the mile-high city for a reason. Elevation is 5,280 feet in the city - higher in many other spots.

I grew up in the San Fernando Valley, north of LA. Plenty dry there, too, but it didn't compare to Denver. I think the altitude makes it much worse.

The bad thing there is the ozone is worst during the winter, so on the coldest days, they have red alerts and you can't have a fire in your fireplace. Very frustrating.

But outdoor sports are huge there, and people are extremely active. And it's definitely beautiful.
Robin

203/130/130
Reached goal in August 2006
Added BodyBugg in May 2009
New ticker: 136.6/123.2/130
DogMa
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby BoPeep1 » July 23rd, 2006, 3:13 am

I used to live in Colorado Springs. It is absolutely gorgeous there.

Colorado is my favorite state. As soon as we get the money together (probably next spring), we're moving back there.
-Brandi
Height 5'9"
Started MF on 4/3/06

BoPeep1
Preferred Member - 90# Club

Return to What's Shakin'