Another newbie

Introduce yourself to the forum.
(Guests Welcome)

Another newbie

Postby Vickilh » April 18th, 2004, 12:50 pm

Hello Everyone

I have been lurking for awhile, received my products on friday and started on sat. I am a 41 year old mom of 5 bullmastiffs and a 9month old little girl named Olivia. I gained 20 lbs with pregnancy, lost it and now am in the process of gaining again(however I was about 25 lbs to heavy before I got pregnant) Needless to say, I want to get a grip on my gaining before it gets to out of control. Not to mention it is difficult keeping up with the "kids" with the extra weight . I hope I can stay motivated to stick with this program and find a new thinner me. Thin and fit seems so far away. Sometimes I can't even picture the end result.

Today I am starving and tired. I will have to say the products taste fine to me I just miss the chewing aspect. Did anyone else feel that way? I feel I won't be able to stay on very long if I continue with that feeling. It probably is just the "first 3-4 day hump" I am feeling which sounds normal from what I have been reading. Because I have been feeling the need to chew more, I did decide to do the modified plan. I am amazed by those who are doing the full program. Do you miss the chewing aspect?

There are some great success stories out there and what a great supportive group. Glad I found the forum. I have 30 lbs to take off. It may not seem as much as some of the others, but I usually quit after a ten lb loss and never reach my goal. Oh the self sabatoge!! Hopefully I will check in here first, get some support and not quit this time.

I look forward to getting to know everyone and being apart of the support team!

Vicki
Vickilh

Postby Landylue » April 18th, 2004, 1:10 pm

If 30 lbs is your goal, then 30 lbs it shall be! You have wandered into a WONDERFUL support group, Vicki. and if you're like the rest of us, you'll find that you will be replacing that strong desire to eat, with getting out on this forum and reading all the posts you can, as often as you can, and putting down on paper all those feelings that are making you want to eat.

I am one of the ones out here that just does the shakes, and I'm in my 7th week. Did I go through missing chewing? YESSSSSSSSSSS! Did I want desperately to eat something--anything? YESSSSSSSSSSS! Did those feelings go away! Thank God, they sure did, but it took every bit of three weeks. You may not be as addicted to food as I was, though, so it's different for everyone. Some never experience those feelings at all!

Anyway, welcome to the forum! So very glad you are here. Stick to the program, drink lots of water, and keep in touch.

Oh, by the way, was that a typo, or do you really have five (5) mastiffs?!? Now THAT'S a lapfull of dogs!

Landylue
Failure is NOT an option!
Landylue
Preferred Member - #40 Club

hunger at first

Postby Lulu » April 18th, 2004, 2:55 pm

Hi, Vickilh,
Hope I got your name right. Hey if you read my post, you'll see that I have also just started...my 6th day. I have no hunger and no need to chew. I find it strange, but that's how it is. However, you are so luckey! Only 30 pounds! You can do that, probably a lot easier than you think. I believe that when we reward ourselves with food, we feel deprived when we take it away! Just remember, this is also a reward you are giving yourself...the reward of feeling and looking good. Just remember, this is not a forever thing, and food won't disappear off the planet! Chew on celery if you need to chew!
Best of luck, and chin up! There are alot of great people on this site rooting for you!
Lulu
Newbie - #20 Club

Postby Tonya » April 19th, 2004, 8:05 am

Congratulations on taking the first step! I am the mother of a 60 pound hound mix and two cats but usually have at least a foster dog or two. The most I've ever had is 6 dogs at one time and I really thought I was going to lose my mind!!! Throw in a human kid and I would have to be committed!!! I'm extremely impressed with your energy level! :o

I have been on the program for about 4 weeks now and have lost about 9 pounds....it comes off a little slower the closer you are to your goal but don't get discouraged (I'm telling myself this too!) At least it keeps going in the right direction. The first week was really hard for me but I actually feel better when I only do the shakes/bars....good luck and stay in touch!!
Tonya
161/149/127

You can be pleased with nothing when you are not pleased with yourself.
Tonya
Regular Member - #10 Club

Postby shineface » April 23rd, 2004, 5:00 pm

WELCOME!!!!!!!

Believe me when I tell you that you are in the right place!!!

I am always on this board – however, I am an Innkeeper and the primary Innkeepers are on vacation so I am holding down the fort while they are gone --- loving it …but running the whole business. Staff, books, baking, greeting, advertising, booking, etc, etc.

I can’t imagine doing what I am doing before I started Medifast --- look at my numbers and you will know what I mean --- this program works and I’ll tell you that this forum is the BEST!!!!! I MISS EVERYONE --- but by the first of May I’ll have my usual time to devote to reading and posting --- can’t wait!!!

Come here often and keep reading and posting and shaking and slurping and drink – drink- drink the water!!!!!!!!!!

WE WILL do this together!!! :stroll:
Pam -"I AM the ME in MEdifast"
Start = 1/24/04 70 down 60 up
5/1/05=279.6
You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf. - Unknown
shineface
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby Maggie » April 23rd, 2004, 8:09 pm

Vickilh.........Hi and welcome. You are going through what we all go through. Speaking only for myself, my need to chew, or my hunger level, or my headaches had a lot to do with my mental motivation. This takes total control and committment. On about the 3rd or 4th day for me, I started feeling sorry for myself. Sorry that I didn't get to eat some of the Sunday dinner that I had prepared for my family and sorry that I wasn't likely going to be able to join in the family dinners for quite some time. I was ready to give up. My husband said to me, "I was wondering how long this would last." Well I am stubborn, if nothing else. I decided that I would just show him what I can do. From that point on staying on plan was easier. I've lost 62 lbs. so far. As far as the need to chew is concerned, you can have sugar-free gum. I don't like to chew gum in public but when I am at home and get the urge I just get out the sugar-free bubble gum and chew it to pieces. And I love to blow bubbles. I promise you it will take your mind off of chewing anything else. One day follows another until it just becomes habit to drink only the shakes or have a soup or supplement bar. When you follow the plan , it works. Maggie
Maggie
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Postby susan » April 23rd, 2004, 8:22 pm

welcome Vickih,
you can do the 30 pounds easy just keep posting and reading were all here for you .
susan
I am not a quiter I will hang in there tillI get to goal with the good lords help
susan
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby Vickilh » April 24th, 2004, 7:50 pm

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome and encouraging words. It sure helps to know others have experienced what I am going through and I enjoy hearing your ideas on how to over come the problem. I still am struggling with the hunger, but it as calmed down a bit. For me it truely is taking it one shake at a time(and boy do I watch the clock waiting for shake time :D )

Vicki
Vickilh

Postby Landylue » April 25th, 2004, 6:57 am

There are some days I do a good deal of clock watching myself, Vicki. Making it from shake to shake is easier than thinking about how I won't be eating until AUGUST! I realise, however, that what I feel isn't real physical hunger, but, rather, a desire to just EAT--for comfort, for fun, out of boredom--but it isn't physical hunger. You might try asking yourself what is going on inside when you feel like you're hungry.

Maggie said, "I was ready to give up. My husband said to me, "I was wondering how long this would last." Well I am stubborn, if nothing else. I decided that I would just show him what I can do. From that point on staying on plan was easier. I've lost 62 lbs. so far." YOU GO GIRL!!!

Years ago when I went through another fasting program--weekly visits to the hospital, $$$$, live support group, $$$$, nutrition training, $$$$--we all had to visit with a psychiatrist before being admitted to the program. After my visit with this pompous dork, he told me that he had a real problem with recommending me for the program. He thought I would be wasting my time, and that I would probably quit long before I finished. But if I still wanted to do it, they would be glad to take my money. Honest to God, those where his exact words! Well, with his unbelievalbe comments fueling my anger and determination, I sailed through that program with tremendous success! I also made darn sure that we met up again after the program. He, of course, had no recollection of me or his comments. I shudder to think how many men and women walked into his office holding on to a shread of hope that this might be the answer for their weight problem, and their hopes were deflated by his personal opinion. Whew! Just thinking about that idiot, still makes me angry! I truly have the same opinion of doctors that Mike has--you can keep every single one of them!

Anyway, I guess I went through all of that to tell Maggie I totally understand what effect comments like her husband's and that doctor's have on us. We can choose to let it defeat us, or choose to let it fuel our determination. It sounds like you have chosen the latter.

Great going, ladies.

Landylue
Failure is NOT an option!
Landylue
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby marge » April 25th, 2004, 9:14 am

Landylue I love your posts :fence: you are so very supportive and helps keep us going no matter what the hurdle is.

I have a question???You mention that you will not be eating until August? Are you strictly taking the shakes and none of the other MF supplements??

My first week I lost 5 pounds and was thrilled but I was taking very few shakes but a lot of the supplements, oatmeal, chilli with crackers (yum), soup, 1 bar a day and in between pickles and celery if I need them. But I consider these supplements "food" a lot less than what I am used to but I would not be able to make it with this diet program or any similar program just on shakes. this is why I think I may succeed because I have the supplements and I do not feel hungry.

Thanks again and keep up the great work

hugs

marge
marge
Preferred member

Postby Nancy » April 25th, 2004, 2:31 pm

Hi there, Vicki ~

We’re glad that you are here. Like you, I also wanted to chew and found it rather difficult initially but then I just made my shakes a bit thicker – whirled them in the blender until they were creamy and smooth and then added ice to make them crunchy and well, icy! I ate it with a spoon. Made it last longer and gave me something to chew.

After while, the desire for chewing went away. When I started really chewing food again, I almost forgot HOW and bit my cheek a few times! Hah!

Sheesh! There’s nothing like an off-the cuff remark to pop your balloon, eh? I have had some really unkind and mean-spirited things said to me, too.

I think I mentioned a while ago about a DORK that came to my office and inquired about “The Testing Lady.” I said, “Yesss…” He said he was “looking for the cellulite encrusted woman” that worked in the assessment office in the old building. I said, “Uh, that WOULD BE me…” Can you believe it? I couldda decked him right there (and maybe should have!) That hurt my heart. What a creep. I hope he thinks hard about what he says before he opens his trap the next time. The Bible says that what comes out of our mouth is what flows from out of our heart.

Marge – remember, :heart: the heart of our program is the shakes. You need to have THREE shakes a day. The other two products for the Five and One plan may include ONE bar and whatever else you want – such as soup, chili with a packet of crackers, oatmeal, cocoa, etc. Five and One means FIVE Medifast meal replacement plus ONE meal of regular food. 4-5 ounces of lean meat and a serving of salad or veggies.

On the complete program – Three shakes minimum, plus two to four other products, one of which may be a bar.
The complete Plan is 5-7 Medifast meal replacements with no regular food and ya need to be under a doc’s care for this one. Transition must be followed exactly right!

Gotta bip! Have a great week, everyone!
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club

Question about the shakes

Postby marge » April 25th, 2004, 4:42 pm

Hi Nancy:

Thanks for reminding me about the 3 shakes a day ..oops I fogot and I am pleased that you did remind me.

Do I have to have 3 shakes by 2pm...I think I read that somewhere??

I have a bit of a ritual that seems to be working for me and let me run it by you..

Upon rising I have my oatmeal, then workout, a hour later I have a shake or a bar depending on the workout...if it is a hard workout with weights I have a bar,,,,then around 2 pm I have a soup,,,,,,five pm I have a chili with crackers or a shake....8 pm....shake.....11pm a bar..this is my treat :heart: .....

Is this bad or good or what can you advise? I know for me for the program to continue to work I feel that I need to be satisfied and the MD products are very satisfying....that is why I am so excited about MF.

thanks again Nancy

marge
marge
Preferred member

Postby Nancy » April 25th, 2004, 4:50 pm

Hi, Slim ~

Your schedule looks pretty good in terms of how often you eat. You are doing the right thing with your workout - having a shake or bar right after. That's good and you did not have a bar for your first meal of the day - another good thing - after a night of snoring, the first meal ought to be oatmeal or a shake so the blood sugar doesn't soar and slide.

Looking good except for the number of shakes needs to be THREE. BTW, on the full fast program, one may have 5 to 7 Medifast products a day. If you are working out, I suggest that you definitely add at least one more product to your daily routine.

Shake, shake, shake for your body!
Last edited by Nancy on April 27th, 2004, 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy

Postby JuliaMejia » April 27th, 2004, 5:51 pm

Vicky - I quit on the third day last the first time I started...I think it is normal to feel like that. I am on day 6 of my "new start" and while I miss food I know I am losing and so I chew celery and bars and pickles. One thing that has helped though for me now is this: I mostly am doing broth and shakes and bars...but when I feel like I have to eat or I'm gonna cheat, I make a piece of chicken with a salad or cabbage stirfry (pam spray...not oil)...then I don't cheat with a cheeseburger and I feel better about my choice!

It is easy to just give up and go overboard...you have to find your way of spicing up the medifast so that it is appealing to you and that you enjoy and look forward to your meals...

Check out the LEAN CUISINE section of the board - there are really great ideas that totally made all the difference in my sticking to it!

Good luck and don't give up too soon, give the medifast a chance to work!

Julia
May 1st 2006...Highest Weight 265...

Started Medifast December 8th, 06 Weight = 236.8 :(

JuliaMejia
Trusted Member - #10 Club

Return to Come on in.