Why Don't people understand

Post your weight loss successes or failures here...:)

Why Don't people understand

Postby lauradr » August 21st, 2006, 2:55 pm

Why are people so goofy sometimes- :x - I have had so many people tell me how much weight loss i have had since I have been sick :x - Dah :roll: I lost it before i was sick!!!!!!!! why are they just now seeing that!!!!!--- help me understand-- My neighbor brought me over a Chicken Pot Pie she said i needed some meat on my bones-- I told her Thank You -- but I had been trying to take meat off my bones lol--- My Mother In law told My Hubby I needed fatten up--- WHY DON'T THEY UNDERSTAND :roll: :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x
I'm not where I wanna be but, thank God I'm not where I use to be!

248/174/150

t: 5'11
lauradr
Preferred Member - 80# Club

Postby Serendipity » August 21st, 2006, 3:11 pm

I don't know, but I have the same problem, Laura. I think it's because we are really looking good and that is a threat to some people. I dunno, but I get alot of pressure not to mention too much attention. Sometimes I just want to have this part over, but that won't happen until everyone gets to have their chance to :whattha:

Inevitably, the first question everyone asks is "how much weight have you lost?" Then after that, "oh, you don't need to lose any more. You don't want to get too skinny." As if!

I guess I don't mind people noticing, but they don't have to be rude. It's like my body size is fair game to discuss.......wonder if I chould shut them up by saying....."and how much do you need to lose?" I would never do that, but sometimes :x :x :x

Oh yeah, and then there is the group who you can tell notice, but they purposefully don't say a word......double :x :x :x
jo
276/135 since December 1, 2006
"Grandma, how did you make yourself so little?", My grandson, Jake
Serendipity
Preferred Member - #140 Club

Postby 2saturn » August 21st, 2006, 3:18 pm

You gotta love (truly) those that just tell you in private (not yell it out in front of a group of people), with a genuine smile on their face, how good you're looking today, but refrain from asking questions. Then if you feel like filling them in, it's your ballgame.

I LOVE those kinds of family, friends, and coworkers!!
2saturn

Postby lauradr » August 21st, 2006, 3:24 pm

Also the ones who blame your heath problems on your weight loss and don't understand you might not be here if you had not lost weight.

248/174/150

lauradr

Postby Sojourner » August 21st, 2006, 5:23 pm

.......wonder if I chould shut them up by saying....."and how much do you need to lose?" I would never do that, but sometimes

LOL Jo!
I double-dog dare you!
~*~*~*Sojourner*~*~*~

Shake it gone, babeee!!!
Sojourner
Preferred member

Postby Aerie » August 22nd, 2006, 3:13 am

I triple dog dare you.....

Lauradr, I'm no arm chair psychologist so I really don't understand people. But remember you're losing the wight for you and no one else.

Water off a duck's back girl, water off a duck's back. :D
Aerie
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby TheShadow » August 22nd, 2006, 7:46 am

I am now using my weight loss as a test of my so-called friends sincerity. Those who exclaim happily how great I look and who express how happy they are for me go into the real friend pile. Those who look me up and down and purposefully don't comment on my obvious weight loss and improved "healthy glow" go into the snotty, catty creep pile. Just info that I will store away and keep in mind in my future dealings with those folks...
TheShadow
TheShadow
Preferred Member - #30 Club

Postby JeepGirl » August 22nd, 2006, 10:43 am

[OperaClap] Well said Tammy...Well said![/OperaClap]
JeepGirl
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby ascicles » August 22nd, 2006, 11:04 am

TheShadow wrote:I am now using my weight loss as a test of my so-called friends sincerity. Those who exclaim happily how great I look and who express how happy they are for me go into the real friend pile. Those who look me up and down and purposefully don't comment on my obvious weight loss and improved "healthy glow" go into the snotty, catty creep pile. Just info that I will store away and keep in mind in my future dealings with those folks...

I never comment about anyone's weight loss or physical changes because that kind of stuff makes me uncomfortable. As such, I don't want to run the risk of making anyone else feel that way.

I have some friends/family members who comment and some that don't. I don't look at them any differently though.
Start Date: 3/6/06

390/280/185

- Manly McMuscles
ascicles
Preferred Member - #110 Club

Postby falisamarie » August 22nd, 2006, 8:34 pm

drmjwdvm wrote:Water off a duck's back girl, water off a duck's back. :D

Truer words have never been spoken. Whenever my kids complain that one of the others said something hurtful I simply tell them "be like a duck"

Lisa
Start date 1/15/06
falisamarie
Preferred Member - #100 Club
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Postby TheShadow » August 23rd, 2006, 8:59 am

Manly, I know that you don't like to hear comments, even compliments, from others about your progress. But for me and many others it is a huge motivation to hear people who care about us at least say something like "wow, you're looking great today." It doesn't necessarily imply that we were looking less than great all the other days. To totally ignore the obvious when you haven't seen someone in a while though, seems kind of weird. Like if someone suddenly showed up on crutches and you didn't express a little concern for their injury. You don't have to ask for details, but acknowledging that you are actually seeing the person your talking to, to me, shows that you are looking outside of yourself and are taking an interest in them. I get that others may not feel that way. And I feel like I can tell when they are trying to be "careful" about what they say (like Manly) versus trying to not give another woman the satisfaction of a compliment. I won't put you in my creepy pile.
TheShadow
TheShadow

Postby ascicles » August 23rd, 2006, 9:01 am

Women are silly.
Start Date: 3/6/06

390/280/185

- Manly McMuscles
ascicles

Postby Serendipity » August 23rd, 2006, 10:29 am

ascicles wrote:Women are silly.

I second that, but I'm one of em. :mrgreen:
jo
276/135 since December 1, 2006
"Grandma, how did you make yourself so little?", My grandson, Jake
Serendipity

Postby TheShadow » August 23rd, 2006, 11:11 am

[quote="ascicles"]Women are silly.[/quote]

Yes we are, but the world would be a very dull and surly place without us!
TheShadow
TheShadow

Postby lauradr » August 23rd, 2006, 11:30 am

Face it most women :oops: ----like to be noticed if they loss weight --but I am doing this for me and my health it;s nice if they do notice-- I just don't want people to think I lost weight because I was sick--- that's what makes me mad!!!!!Why didn't they notice before I was sick???????

Doc---love ---Water off a duck's back girl, water off a duck's back

JO-- love it-----wonder if I chould shut them up by saying....."and how much do you need to lose?" I would never do that, but sometimes

Manly---women are silly but like Jo I'm one of them----DH might agree with you--LOL---- But what would the world be with out us

shadow-- love it---friends sincerity test

248/174/150

lauradr

Return to The Weight Room