What size?

Give us the skinny in the losers lounge.
(Anything off topic)

Postby Sablebaby » July 22nd, 2006, 7:38 am

I'm 5'6" and 320 and I wear a 26.

Back when I was thinner I was 187 and wearing a 12.
Heather
Sablebaby
Trusted Member

Postby Rachel » July 22nd, 2006, 7:48 am

I wear a size 12 as of now. Rarely, it's a 14 if it's some strange tighter style.
Height: 5'8"
Dress Size: 12
Rachel
Regular Member - #60 Club

Postby jump4joy » July 22nd, 2006, 11:36 am

I'm usually closed-mouthed about this kind of thing, so I've been debating whether to share my sizes. It amazes me how much height/build affects this! Here goes:

I'm 5' 2". At my highest weight, 220 (on Jan. 1st), I was wearing size 22W jeans (I had some 24's too, but they were a little big). I wore a 2X or 3X top. Now at 185, I wear 18 or 16 jeans, and a Large 16 or 18 top. I can wear Medium or Large dresses. When you're short, there's nowhere for the weight to go but OUT. The good thing is, as I get closer to goal, the sizes begin dropping dramatically. Having babies really did a number on my tummy.....I could wear a smaller top if not for my tummy. I'm not waiting a year after I get to goal to get a tummy tuck. I'll get one next spring or summer at the latest for sure!

Joy
Motto: The time will pass whether I diet or not.
jump4joy
Preferred Member - #30 Club

Postby JKSRN » July 22nd, 2006, 2:45 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: I am laughing, Joy, when you mentioned that when a person is short, there is no where for the weight to go but OUT!! That's me! I am 5' even, and that is stretching it, as it really is 4'11.5, and I used to refer to myself as "5 by 5"!!! No more, though!

At 199, I wore a size 20W pant and shorts, a 3X top(could I be gifted up there?!. Now at 159, it is a 14 in shorts and a large or Xlarge in tops(did I mention gifted?! When most of the weight has banished, it is my hope that the final 10# will come from you know where! :D
Joan
JKSRN
Preferred member

Postby FluffyNoMore » July 22nd, 2006, 2:48 pm

jump4joy wrote:I'm usually closed-mouthed about this kind of thing, so I've been debating whether to share my sizes. It amazes me how much height/build affects this!

You know I usually don't like to share my weight with anyone because I think comparisons with other people isn't a good thing. But, I think this thread, shows us that everyone is different. We all come in a myriad of shapes and sizes and a weight on one person, doesn't mean it's the same on someone else, so when we get discouraged that so and so is consistently losing weight, or that we weigh more that this one...we can see that we need to only compare ourselves with ourselves. I know what I looked like when I started...I don't worry that someone is losing faster than me, or weighs less than me, or whatever... I know how far I've come...and that's all I need to worry about. .
FluffyNoMore
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby mellowmom » July 22nd, 2006, 4:04 pm

And to add to the confusion...

I just took a quick run over to my friendly neighborhood SuperWalmart. Unfortunately, it's the only place I'm willing to shop for clothes right now, because they are so cheap, er... I mean inexpensive...

At any rate, I'm going through the women's plus sizes and I look at the 2x tops and 22-24 pants and they just seem so large...so I try on a 1x, and it fits! and so do the size 18-20 pants! WHAT THE????

I hate to say it and burst everyone's bubble here, but I think the garment manufacturers are playing one big massive joke on us all. Slowly but surely they've been making the clothes larger and changing the labels to reflect smaller sizes...That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

I remember when I was in college and weighed 150 and at that had to squeeze into a size 13! I'll bet you dollars to donuts..(an unfortunate comparison...sorry about that...) that if/when I reach 150 lbs. the size my clothes will say will be 8-10. The 1x blouse I tried on said it was a 38-40...yet my chest measurement is a 46. I weigh 262 pounds for crimeney sakes and the last time I fit in an 18 was 30 years ago and I was 225! 'Splain that to me Ricky???

Thanks for letting me rant. I would love to believe I dropped from a 32W to a size 20 top in four months, but I just can't. I think the manufacturer's are messing with our heads... Am I just being too cynical here, or does anyone else think that sizes ain't what they used to be?

Carmel

P.S.... The preceding in no way is meant to denigrate or lessen the great achievement that we've accomplished on this program by getting healthier and slimming down. I guess I was just ranting about labels, and getting hung up on numbers...(again).
Shaken AND Stirred
3/24/06
5'8" 334/213/165
Re-started 1/7/09
5'8" 325/165
mellowmom
Preferred Member - #120 Club
Preferred Member - #120 Club

Postby FluffyNoMore » July 22nd, 2006, 4:26 pm

Mellowmom you are right on the money! :) It's one of my biggest pet peeves....I wish I could blame the clothing industry for the fact that I didn't know I was getting fat, but I can't do that, but I will tell you that I gained alot of weight and my clothing size didn't go up very much. I had 3 babies in 6 years and during that time I went from skinny jeans(in 9/10 weighing about 150 lbs) to maternity, to sweats, drawstring pants, dh's sweats, yoga pants, and big baggy sweatshirts back to maternity...3 times And never bought any clothes...then I started working and had nothing, so I went shopping with a friend and I fit into 14w's. LOL! I was 60 lbs heavier....then gained more weight and went up to 16's and some 18's. So yeah...clothing sizes are messed up.

I have some old jeans from the 1980's...I saved my favorite jeans....I got rid of 99% of the stuff, but saved them all these years. When I can fit into those, I'm done. :) I have no idea what size I'll be in today's clothes, but that's what I'm shooting for. How big I was when I met my dh. I can't button them now....slim fit, tapered leg. LOL! I can barely get my foot out the leg hole. Real beauties. :) But they are my gauge.
FluffyNoMore
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby Nova » July 22nd, 2006, 4:33 pm

I'm amazed at the various body sizes and types here. I'm 5'6", and when I was 250 pounds, I was a size 20 pants and a 20/ 1-2X up top, depending on how fitted it was. Now I'm down to 193, and just this morning I went shopping for size 12 pants and shorts. Up top, I'm wearing L, but mainly in t-shirt style shirts. The fitted shirts don't really fit me too well. I too, am 'gifted' up top.
244/171

Would you rather eat what you want, or wear what you want?
Nova
Preferred Member - 80# Club

Postby alpha femme » July 22nd, 2006, 5:27 pm

all this talk about being "gifted" makes me feel a bit inferior.

i have a prodigious butt. i'm not sure that counts as gifted.

you would think, as a fat girl, i would at least have big boobs.
moderate boobs. i look at them and remind them about our deal for the condo. maybe i should throw in some stock incentives and frequent flier miles. the girls are very high maintenance, it turns out.
alpha femme
Preferred member

Postby JKSRN » July 22nd, 2006, 8:16 pm

Trust me, Alex, 'gifted' is used very lightly and with a grain of salt!!! I would auction them off if I could!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Joan
JKSRN
Preferred member

Postby alpha femme » July 22nd, 2006, 8:18 pm

okay, maybe i don't need to be gifted.... but it would be nice to be sure that by the end of mf i am not classified as remedial. :oops:
alpha femme
Preferred member

Postby DogMa » July 22nd, 2006, 8:51 pm

The change in sizes is so true! It's why my goal size is so small. Fifteen years ago, when I was a size 6, I was MUCH smaller than now.
Robin

203/130/130
Reached goal in August 2006
Added BodyBugg in May 2009
New ticker: 136.6/123.2/130
DogMa
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby AlexLHH » July 23rd, 2006, 9:56 am

When I was 210 5 years ago I was wearing Old Navy size 20. Then after I lost a lot of weight I threw away all my fat clothes thinking I'd never be fat again. Then when I came back from a year living with my fiance in Brazil I dug around the house and found some size 12s I'd forgotten to toss. They fit all right, so that must be what I am now. Mixed feelings on this, as BEFORE 6 weeks of MF, I'm sure that even the 12s wouldn't have fit.
AlexLHH

Postby Elke » July 24th, 2006, 5:15 am

I started mf on May 17 wearing a size 18/20 pants and XL shirts weighing in at 222
Now I am in 14 pants and L shirts weighing in at 185, I am 5'4
Elke
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Postby loriannk » July 24th, 2006, 6:18 am

I am going to post my 2 cents and hope it doesn't upset anyone.

It seems some are forgetting that there is a difference between plus sizes and misses sizes. If you shop at catherines and Lane Bryant those are plus size stores but you can get sizes all the way down to 12w at some. But most of the time those stores don't put the W next to the sizes.

A 14W = misses 18 pant sizes. (I compared Lane Bryant plus sizes to JcPenney's misses sizes)

So saying that, I started at 218 lbs and wore a 22W pant with a 2x shirt. Now weighing in at 162 I fit into 14 MISSES and can get up and zipped size 12's but would not wear them in public. I also wear xl misses shirts but some large t shirts fit fine too.
3 kids ages 2, 8 & 9
loriannk
Preferred Member - #20 Club

PreviousNext

Return to What's Shakin'