What is normal?

All that hard work and now what? Let's talk about how to keep those pounds off...

Postby MerryMary » August 25th, 2007, 6:12 pm

Nancy wrote:During my weight loss phase, I truly sought to learn the reasons why I overate. I came up with some reasons such as learned behaviors and coping mechanisms and I learned that some of them were merely excuses to cover up some pretty ugly ‘me stuff’ - I learned that if I wanted to maintain a normal weight, I could never view food the way I used to – in some ways, I cut off my relationship with it and am learning to deal with the emotional reasons for overeating in different ways.

Amen and amen! :) And don't you find that when you deal with the emotional reasons for overeating in more appropriate ways you have a sense of control? I like that feeling rather than the feeling that food controls me! It's very liberating indeed. :)
MARY
Started MF 11/6/06; reached goal 9/27/07.
MerryMary
Preferred Member - #110 Club
Preferred Member - #110 Club

Postby DogMa » September 5th, 2007, 8:01 am

I think about food and exercise way more than a "normal" person, but I think I HAVE to. I've nearly gotten rid of the guilt, though, at least. On my trip last week, I made good choices all week as far as both food AND exercise ... until Friday night, when things just completely fell apart. I fell off the wagon, it ran over me AND it was filled with desserts. And yes, I gained a few pounds.

OTOH, my little binge lasted "only" three and a half days, and even in the midst of it, I had the presence of mind to stop myself a few times (including asking someone to remove a container of cookies from my presence). And as soon as I got back home, I resumed my normal food and workout schedule, so I'm confident that the extra pounds (some of which are probably caused by salt and bloat, anyway) will be gone soon. Do I feel guilty? Maybe a little, but I also realize that "normal" people occasionally overindulge, too, and that three days of sweets out of the past two and a half years really isn't that big a deal, as long as it stops there. I do have one more unhealthy meal planned with a friend (a belated birthday meal), but I'm postponing it a bit, until I've got some more healthy days under my belt and my weight is back down to normal.

So my answer is mixed. No, I probably don't approach food or exercise quite like a normal person. But yes, I'm much closer to normal than I used to be, and I think I'm getting closer all the time. I'm not even sure I KNOW many so-called normal people, because pretty much everyone I know - fat or thin - thinks about food and exercise and at least tries to make conscious decisions about what they do. The ones I know who don't? Generally are either naturally thin (and of those, the ones past 40 are now realizing they need to pay attention, too) or are overweight.

BTW, I also tried (and am trying) to focus on what I did RIGHT on my trip. I worked out (except for those couple of days at the end when I chose to sleep instead of trying to work out after only an hour of rest), I drank plenty of water, I tried to eat every few hours, I had a healthy breakfast every day. And I'm looking at where I went wrong, which I believe related to going an entire week with only two to three hours of sleep every night while at the same time dealing with the stress of being surrounded by family and having very little time to myself. Thankfully, this situation doesn't come up more than once every few years.
Robin

203/130/130
Reached goal in August 2006
Added BodyBugg in May 2009
New ticker: 136.6/123.2/130
DogMa
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby Serendipity » September 5th, 2007, 12:34 pm

Good point, Robin. We need to point out to ourselves the things we are dong right. We're so quick to let the guilt take over.
jo
276/135 since December 1, 2006
"Grandma, how did you make yourself so little?", My grandson, Jake
Serendipity
Preferred Member - #140 Club
Preferred Member - #140 Club

Hi

Postby dede4wd » September 5th, 2007, 2:39 pm

What a great thread!

I KNOW I'm not normal. My problem with overeating is because I made the junk my "friend" on the road. Everyone out here seems to have their "thing"...alcohol, drugs, dance clubs, etc. I'd buy tons of stuff to have "friends" in the hotel room.

I've learned a lot about myself from the awesome Lifestyles guide I read and continue to re-read. I just have to learn about balance and not to beat myself up. I may have a few meal "episode" but that doesn't mean I have to chuck what I've accomplished.

I'm confident that once I make exercise a habit and concentrate on fruit and veggies and only having fries every ONCE IN A WHILE, I'll do ok. I don't want to obsess about it, but I obsess about everything else, so why should this be any different? I like the idea of a 5-lb threshold...going back on for a blitz once I get 5lbs over goal...leaves a little wiggle room, but draws a line in the sand that says get back with it once I get off the cruise ship or whatever!

What you guys posted was so enlightening and I'm learning so much with you paving the way.
dede4wd
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby bikipatra » September 6th, 2007, 2:40 am

We have this saying in AA that once you turn a cucumber into a pickle, you can't turn it into a cucumber again. That's how I feel about being a normal weight person again after being a fat person for 5 years who was thin her whole life. I'm a pickle now. What was normal for me to eat in my previous incarnation as a thin person is drastically different than how I will have to eat after transition not to gain weight. I used to skip breakfast, have a ham and cheese sammich with chips for lunch, have some Cheetoes or M&M's as an afternoon snack then eat dinner at around 9 with friends. Our favorites were pizza, pasta and Mexican food. All those choices and I maintained my 117 lb 5'7" self. The only exercise I did was a lot of arm work with weights so I would look good in sleeveless things. Sometimes I ask myself, if I could go back there would I? Sometimes I think-in a NY minute. Other times I realize that if I can continue on this path I will be much healthier, free of alcohol and drugs, physically fit and know the mind of the mugger and the mugged.
Restart Date: January 1, 2010
12/31/09 226.8
226.8/218/135
bikipatra
Preferred Member - #100 Club
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Postby DogMa » September 6th, 2007, 7:57 am

Exactly, Biki. It's about so much more than weight to me. If "normal" is a person who eats and lives without thinking, then no, I'm not "normal" and I don't want to be. My version of "normal" these days is to be conscious of what and how much I eat, to keep exercise as a part of my life, and to maintain a healthy lifestyle. It may not be what the average American does, but the average American is overweight and inactive and eats way too much fat and junk food.

And DeDe, my best friends on trips these days are resistance bands and the hotel treadmill. I won't stay at a hotel without one anymore! (Although if I had a laptop, my other best friend would be a good workout DVD.)
Robin

203/130/130
Reached goal in August 2006
Added BodyBugg in May 2009
New ticker: 136.6/123.2/130
DogMa
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Previous

Return to Maintenance