Weight Training

Fitness and Exercise

Weight Training

Postby Lisa in NY » December 5th, 2005, 12:50 pm

I currently walk 20-30 mins. 3 x week. I would like to add another day of exercise but not walking - I'd like to do LIGHT weight training (20 mins.)

My question is has anyone had experience doing this and if so, did it cause a weight gain? I am hesitant to start this if it will cause a gain...I'd love to hear from some veteran exercisers. Thanks.
"Life's more painless for the brainless"...Scarecrow in WICKED
Lisa in NY
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby Nancy » December 6th, 2005, 1:26 pm

I do weight training 2-3 times a week and walking five times a week. The first month I was a Starvin' Marvin and added a shake and half of a bar. My weight stabilized and I increased my calories a little with low glycemic foods. It's great for your bones and heart health!
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club

Postby Dayna » January 13th, 2006, 10:33 am

Nancy, just to clarify, were you doing the weight training during your weight loss? I've been walking on the treadmill for 40 minutes and using weights 5-6 days a week (alternating upper and lower body, of course). So, if I understand everything I've read, when I start MF I should plan on dropping the treadmill down to, say 25 minutes, and adding the weights (gently) back in around the four week mark? Does that seem reasonable? I struggle with generalized anxiety, and exercise does the best job of keeping it in check, but I don't want to harm my body (or hinder my weightloss) in the process.

Thoughts?

- Dayna
Someone once wrote:I'm allergic to cake. I break out in fat when I eat it.

8/05 - 275
SD - 1/17/06 - 259

Dayna
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby Nancy » January 13th, 2006, 11:09 am

Hi, Dayna ~

Yes, you are right, I didn't begin to work out until after I reached my goal weight and primarily it was because

1.) I hate to exercise. It never was easy to do so when I was so overweight. I used to get stress fractures in my feet when I would walk on a track or the treadmill from wearing poorly designed footwear. I wear a size 11 shoe and it was hard for me to find athletic shoes that fit properly; we were poor so I would buy someone else's shoes at Goodwill or inexpensive shoes as the local Wally World. It was not a good situation.

2.) I was so freaked about going to a gym after having not exercised for years. I thought everybody wore leotards and did that aerobic dance thing and I am totally uncoordinated. Fear of the unknown, trapped in the mind of a fat lady from the 70's.

3) We visited the Y and I realized that there were many newbies there. We love it - there are activities for beginners and the trainers help us to move along as we are able.

Your plan sounds very good. Just remember that the weight loss program is not designed for serious athletic events - for marathoners, etc. You just need more food for strenuous workouts than what you get from our weight loss program.

Plan your work out time so that you can have a shake or bar shortly before your work out session begins, drink plenty of water while you are working out and then have a shake afterwards. Since you are currently doing weights, I wouldn't eliminate them all together, just back off a bit on the reps so you don't lose what you've got going.

Generally we recommend no more than 40-45 minutes total exercise per day when on the weight loss phase. It need not be done all at once either. Sometimes breaking up the routine is helpful - 10 minutes on the tready, 2-3 exercises w/ weights, 10 minutes on the tready, weights.

It may be a good idea to have a cup of bouillon or better yet, drink a packet or two of our Medifast Fast Soup, the potassium and sodium may help to prevent muscle cramps. You may notice that your weight loss will slow down for a week or two when you first begin your workout – often due to fluid imbalances but it will be only temporary and then you will experience steady weight loss.

You may need to actually have 6 packets a day when you work out (I’d go with a shake) if you get hungry and your weight loss is slow, try 6 a day and see how that goes.
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy

Return to The Gymnasium