Weight Training

Fitness and Exercise

Weight Training

Postby from Amelie » July 26th, 2005, 9:02 am

Since checking our weight on the scale is the routine, I am afraid to go back to my weight training, because it would probably make me heavier or the scale won't budge as much. Seeing the weight loss is what gets me motivated. At the moment I am at plateau after losing 17 lbs. I am confused because I enjoy this kind of training coupled with Richard Simmons. Can someone shed light about this kind of fitness regime and Medifast? :?
from Amelie

Postby dlr2424 » July 26th, 2005, 6:39 pm

Well I'm not sure how long you have been on program....... :scratch: ......but you should wait till 4 weeks to do any exercise unless you already were prior to this plan. If that was the case then cut your routine in half.... :exercise: ....as far as the weight training....... :weightlift: ......well that is a personal choice.... :hmmm: ......if you want the numbers to drop then maybe try to do it once a week....... :huh: ......it's only a suggestion..........others that have this experience will be on to help you out............best of luck.... :mrgreen: ....
donna....dlr2424

There's nothing to great that God won't provide me the strength to endure...all I need to do is ask Him
dlr2424
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Weight Training

Postby Jan » July 26th, 2005, 6:55 pm

Hi Amelie
Donna is right about waiting to exercise till week 4. It sounds like you have been exercising routinely before M.F. so you should probably cut your program by 1`/2 both intensity and duration. At week 4 you can then increase. In any case 45 minutes is about the limit as far as exercise goes on this program. Our caloric intake is too low to go any longer than this without problems. You will stall your weight loss by putting too much stress on your body. I see you know that muscle weighs more than fat so if you build muscle you may not see the weight decrease on the scale. At least not as much if any. You will have to go by inches lost instead. This is a "muscle sparing program" so you won''t be losing muscle.
jan
Jan
Preferred member

Thank you Donna and Jan!

Postby from Amelie » July 30th, 2005, 8:42 pm

Yes, I used to spend a long time in the gym. I see the wisdom of cutting the exercise back. However, does this weaken our system, when we are not exercising to the previous intensity that the body was used to?

I don't mind NOT exercising. However, I am feeling GUILTY all day!!!

I will slowly increase as I go along as you've adivised.

I felt really weak when I tried to work out the other day.

thanks again! :)
from Amelie

Postby Nancy » July 31st, 2005, 10:38 pm

Amelie ~

It truly takes our bod about 3 weeks to adapt to using the stored energy reserves (Such an antiseptic term for flab, eh?). Your bod is undergoing a lot of changes right now and it is really important to increase your water intake when you exercise.

64 ounces is the minimum I suggest for people who are not exercising and not drinking coffee and diet pop.

Pop and caffeine are dehydraters, too so drink extra water to compensate for fluid loss and to avoid muscle fatigue.

You will most likely feel better if you have some Fast Soup or bouillon. Have a bar right after your work out and see if that helps you to recover faster.

As you gradually rebuild to your former workout routine (within reason!), your endurance will increase and your energy level will improve. It's my experience that when people skip meals, go too long between meals, slack on water slurpage or begin exercising (or exercise too long initially), they feel lousy. It can slow down their weight loss progress and then they get worried.

I don't mean to sound :roll: edgy here or go into :twisted: nag/rag mode but it is important to carefully read and follow The Quick Start Program Guide. Our program is very unique - far different from other weight loss programs – our program works, IF you follow the protocols.

Keep us informed on your progress. You’ll be the talk of the gym when you sashay by the others who are sweatin’ and puffin’.
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club

Postby buffybegood » August 1st, 2005, 11:01 am

Hi Amelie, I know how you feel....I have spent quite alot of time in the gym too. Alot of pro bodybuilders take a month off here and there to give their bodies a rest, so I don't think we have to worry too much. Muscle has memory....so when we get rid of our excess bagage, and get back into the gym, we will be rested and ready to pump some iron. I think we will need to get on the Medifast 70 when we are ready. Lifting heavy weights will make you retain fluids....your body thinks it is injured. I also like seeing that scale drop in numbers, so I am doing Yoga...I never had time for it before and love it. I used to think it was for wimps....hahah....it is an amazing work out and stretching routine. My next step will be to lift light, and do alot of reps. That will burn calories, and avoid the water retention....drink lots of water,the more water you drink the less you retain. I used to carry around a gallon jug with me and drink it all before the day was over. This Wed will be 2 weeks on MF for me, so I am going to stick with the Yoga another couple of weeks, and gradually start back after 3 weeks, and see how I feel, I am a firm believer in working your way into things like this slowly so you don't over do it and get discouraged. Don't feel guily for giving yourself a break. We just have to make sure the break doesn't turn into permanent break.... :-P I am coming off of a 2 year break....oh well....I think I needed it. See you in the gym!
Buffy
"That's the plan and I'm sticking to it"
180/167/120
buffybegood
Regular Member - #10 Club

Reply to everyone, and to Buffy Be Good

Postby from Amelie » August 8th, 2005, 6:33 am

Thank you for all your support! Thanks for reminding me about drinking more water. I have gotten into the habit of bringing water with me but have not been really fully aware of how much water I had been drinking. At the moment, I had stopped my initial return to workout with weights because of the strange feeling of weakness that is unfamiliar to me. I will be patient as all you good people have adviced me. It is a strange feeling NOT to exercise. And you are right about the "guilt' part. There is also the "feel-good" part that I miss. Ha! another addiction, right? I started Medifast June 20th and it is now August 8 and I have lost 20 pounds. I am only 4'11 in stature so I 20 lbs looks like a lot of weight lost. However, I am concerned that I have not lost any weight since July 20th. I have maintained and stayed at 150 and the scale just won't move no matter what I do! I must confess I ate an extra cracker or extra celery and sugarless gum and jello every now and then for hunger pangs. Was I not supposed to lose weight faster than I am doing? I started at 170 lbs. What is everyone's experience on this plateau problem? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :) :?: (Thanks BuffyBeGood!)
from Amelie

Postby martha » August 8th, 2005, 7:30 am

Hi--

Not am expert by all means but we all lose weight at different speeds.. you have done good so far and as long as you are compliant and drinking your water the scale will move again.. Are you spacing your shakes out no longer than 4(better at 3 hours) hours in between each of them??..that keeps your metabolism going strong..Just hang in there.. As far as the things you have eaten extra --they all look fine to me except you are suppose to only have 1 pack of crackers a day..(the carbs I think)other than that everything is fine.. you are probably losing inches right now and that is why 20# looks like it is more to you..Have you measured yourself yet??I am sure Nancy or Unca Tim will be here soon to help more than me but I wanted to let you know I saw your post..I haven't experienced any plateaus yet BUT I have noticed the weight loss is slowing down..Keep your chin up and hang in there because 1 day soon that old stubborn scale will move again..Martha
Started MF-4/18/2005
MELTING THE POUNDS AWAY!!!!!!!!
267.5/189.5/130
martha
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby Nancy » August 8th, 2005, 8:18 am

Amelie ~

I think you are ready to begin some treadmill walking - start off at a reasonable gait but not excesive - maybe 10 minutes to see how you feel. Drink that water you are hauling around.

There are a lot of posts about plateaus so do a little search using the clicky button ^ there at the top of the page.

You are height challenged and that will affect your weight loss rate - tall people lose weight faster. Hmmm...maybe we can do some heightening exercises...

Hang tough, we all go through those days/weeks when our weight loss is not as great as we want it to be but it is just what our body is ready to give up. We cannot rush our body and it is not good to try to induce it to do things it isn't ready to do. Each shake you drink will get you closer to here you want to be.
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy

Return to The Gymnasium