Week 3

Introduce yourself to the forum.
(Guests Welcome)

Week 3

Postby mollie » October 26th, 2004, 9:42 am

Hi everyone. I am on week three, have lost about 20lbs. and everything should be fine. Why am I so emotionally down in the dumps? The thought of how many more weeks I have of this (am doing the entire fast with 5 shakes a day and that's it)is overwhelming. My doctor said not to bother with the celery or anything else because it will just slow things down. I have another 50lbs. to go. Help! :shock:
mollie

Postby hawaiiwhatnot » October 26th, 2004, 10:43 am

Welcome Mollie! :wavie:

So glad you have found this forum! All of us here have run through a gamut of emotions while Medifasting, including depression. Although, when I think about it, I was so much more depressed when I was overweight and NOT Medifasting. At least we, including you, are doing something about it!

That's the thing with losing weight. It makes you feel things I think more prominently, and examine your emotions. I feel sad sometimes feeling like I am being punished not being able to enjoy regular enemy foods (the goodies that are so bad for ya) - like I'm not allowed to go out and play. Also feel like I am alone sometimes too - There could be a lot of reasons you feel sad - maybe you're going through physical withdrawals from sugar, or caffeine - or maybe you self-medicate yourself with food when you feel depressed like I do (am in the process of reforming), and now that you're not having those comfort foods, it feels doubly depressing.

I believe in order to be successfull in keeping the weight off, we all have to resolve some of those personal issues that make us overweight from being sad or too happy, or fearful or whatever. I'm reading "Life is Hard, Food is Easy" by Linda Spangle which helps you

-recognize your cravings
-identify your emotions
-and solve the REAL problem.

You ARE doing EXTREMELY WELL! I too had 70 pounds to lose! Started June 1 and lost 20 pounds that first month. That was only 5 months ago, and I have less than 10 pounds to go to reach my 70 pound loss goal!!! I did only shakes the first month. Then have stayed on the complete program since - haven't had additives except for pickles, and had to cut them out because I love the juice, and I think drinking it made me retain too much water.

Mollie, you maybe should talk to your doctor about being so sad. Depression is an illness that you may be suffering. We now know to pay attention to those emotions as they can be unproductive and dangerous.

One thing I urge you to keep in mind, is that here you will find very caring friends who want to share your burden. That's what friends are for, and we have all helped each other so much throughout the trials we face to improve ourselves. Thank you for sharing, and I seriously hope you use this forum as a great coping tool, as we all have. We want you here with us and often! You may not realize it, but your post helped a lot of people I'm sure.

A MF Pal,
Camille
Jun 1, 2004 Start Date 5' 6" 195 lbs
Jun lost 20#=175#
Jul lost 14#=161#
Aug lost 7#=154#
Sep lost 13#=141#
Oct lost 12#=129#
Nov lost 4#=125#
70 lbs in 5 1/2 mos!
Hello Victoria's Secret! I did it! July 2005 still 125 lbs!
hawaiiwhatnot
Preferred Member - 70# Club

thanks

Postby mollie » October 26th, 2004, 11:00 am

Thanks Camille! I think you hit the nail on the head. My "comfort" so to speak is gone and everything is a bit raw. I know that I need to explore these feelings and I appreciate the name of the book you found helpful. I really am glad that I found MF and I want to succeed. I guess I need to do things a day at a time. You words really helped. ;)
mollie

Postby Guest » October 26th, 2004, 11:12 am

Mollie- Was there a reason your doc wanted you to do all shakes the whole time? I'm doing full fast but with the soups and bars too. I knew I couldn't do the lean/green meal option, (too dangerous!) But I have 3 shakes a day, 1 soup w/ MF crackers, 1 bar.

Some people do all shakes the whole time, so I'm not giving advice, just wondering if there was a reason. I know for me the soup and bar a day help me feel like I have little "treats" without cheating. There's no way I could do all shake for extended time, but that's just me knowing my own limitations. All shake = I'd give up. 1 meal a day= I'd cheat.

Just my 2 cents.

Christy aka FEDUP (I forgot to sign in)

Postby Nancy » October 26th, 2004, 3:40 pm

Good golly, Mollie! You’ve already dumped 20 pounds? Weigh to go!

This is not easy and for those of us who have a considerable amount of weight to lose, the task can at times feel daunting.

It IS, however, possible.

Medifast makes losing weight quicker than anything I have ever tried before and it is a lot more satisfying, too. On previous weight loss programs, I was hungry and never made it to goal. It is a matter of perspective – a temporary separation from the grub you like for a lifetime of improved health, self-satisfaction and daily delight!

The hunger goes away relatively quickly but the desire for food is always there.

For me, it is a daily discipline to maintain my weight but lemme tell ya, I love being thin a whole lot more than I liked being obese! It is worth it all.

Use the time that you ordinarily would have used for gassing up your car, for shopping, for hauling in the groceries, for washing the fruits and veggies, for meal planning and meal preparation and clean up to do something good for your mind – get out and read something uplifting, something about nutrition and health and then do something kind for others.

All too soon, those 50 pounds will be gone and you will be a glowing slender woman!
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club

Return to Come on in.