VTGirlie

1 Thread per registered User.

VTGirlie

Postby VTGirlie » August 1st, 2006, 1:51 pm

Well, I promised that when I hit the 20# club I’d do a couple of things:

1) Complete a diary entry
2) Come clean to my husband about what I really weigh.

Ha. So, I did the weight confession with my hubby, who is pretty clueless about those things anyway, so he just didn’t really care. It was hard for me, but really rewarding to have it done with. Now I get to do this! Why, you might ask? Mostly for my benefit. Part of this journey for me is learning to be honest and accountable to and with myself so that I don’t end up right back where I was, wondering how I got there! The next step is to post some pics! :?

My struggle with weight has been going on for most of my life. I cannot remember a time when food wasn’t an issue. When I was very young my parents were “diet fanatics”. They tried every diet plan known to man, and I was along for the ride. I remember being really put out that I could never have things in my lunch that other kids did- white bread, Twinkies, even fruit roll-ups. Instead we were eating from the “food bible of the week” – the Aloe Vera diet, Weight Watchers, diet supplements, seaweed wraps, 4 fat grams a day, grapefruit diet, the Candida diet, etc etc etc. I cannot begin to remember how many there actually were, or what half of them were about! At one point my mom even developed and marketed her own plan for losing weight. ACK!

If we had consistently eaten healthy meals, I might have outgrown those temptations, however we hopped from diet to diet, and the glorious in-between diet times were filled with overly-large portions, sweet indulgences, and binges on forbidden foods! I learned that when yummy foods were available it was important to eat them, eat them fast, and eat a lot, because when something yummy was served at night, there was no guarantee it would be there in the morning. I learned to hide the foods I ate that weren’t “acceptable” in order to avoid the comments about how bad the food was- or worse, how much I really needed NOT to eat it.

As an adult I now realize that my parents were simply on a quest to find that perfect diet that would work for them, but as a child I thought there was something wrong with me. Those taboo foods began to represent a normalcy that seemed very out of reach in my life.

When I first began this journey I truly believed that I was not an emotional eater, because I didn’t eat when I was sad or upset. What I have learned Medifast is that I AM an emotional eater, because I use food as a reward, as a way to express my care for others (through cooking!) and as a way to celebrate important moments in life. As I began the plan I realized that as we looked forward to vacations, holidays, birthdays, etc I was finding all the times I could “cheat” and it would be okay. (Of course, cheating can’t possibly count if there is a good reason for it! :lol: ) I am continuing to work through the need to mark all milestones with food, and I think it will be something I struggle with for the rest of my life.

Looking back, I realize that part of the reason I associate food with celebration is that it was done that way when I was a child. Birthdays and holidays were never times my family was on a restrictive diet. It was okay to eat then without being reprimanded, or without the guilt that inevitably came along afterwards. Time spent with extended family and grandparents were always times when I was well-fed, even over-fed to compensate for some of the bizarre eating habits of my family. Once I was away at school and on my own, I was free to eat what I wanted but those feelings of guilt and the desire to hide what I ate followed closely behind. The more weight I gained the less value I felt I had in the eyes of my family, and eventually I shut off the ability to hear even the most constructive concerns about my weight in exchange for the freedom to eat how I wanted to eat. :(

As I got older and started my own family, I was so concerned about putting my children through the diet treadmill that I went overboard in the opposite direction. My husband and I are both great cooks and we used those skills to excess! There was no one around to tell me to limit what I ate, and I thumbed my nose at all of those horrible memories! Unfortunately, my desire to feed my family “normally” lead to a very rapid weight gain after my kids were born. I did try a few diet plans, and eventually sort of gave up. Partially out of denial that I had allowed myself to become so large, and partially because I just didn’t want to diet hop as my parents had done.

When we moved to Vermont 5 years ago I was at an all-time high. I weighed 235 pounds, and was SQUEEZING into a size 22. I had been married in a size 8. I immediately dropped about 15 pounds after we moved here- what with the shortage of sweet tea and fried foods aplenty! :D

Two years ago I left a very stressful job and decided that I needed to do something about my weight. I started on the 6 Week Body Makeover and lost about 20 pounds. Unfortunately the preparations for that were so time-consuming and expensive that I just couldn’t continue. I did continue, however, to eat reasonably well and managed to keep most of the weight off, but early this spring I took a good hard look at myself in the mirror and decided that I just don’t want to be fat anymore. The person I am on the inside is not the person that others see on the outside, and I’d like them to be one and the same! Since I’m quite fond of my “skinny” personality I’ve decided to make my body adjust!!!

I did quite a bit of research online to find a program that would work for me. It took me about 2 months to find and convince myself to commit to Medifast. In May I began the 5n1 program, and I have now lost 20 pounds. Many days are a struggle for me not to cheat. Not that I’m hungry, but hiding food and bingeing on “forbidden” foods is simply something I grew up with. I force myself to be honest about what I eat by keeping a food journal on mymedifast. I try hard not to “overlook” bad choices so that one cheat doesn’t become a slippery slope that lands me completely off plan.

I have actually had more success than I have ever had saying no to things that I love in favor of taking care of myself. I feel great, I’m losing well, and most importantly, my children see me taking control of my eating. Hopefully they will be able to follow suit and not struggle with this weight issue all of their lives. I allow them to eat fun treats, as well as encouraging them towards a balanced plate (veggies, healthy carbs, protein) and smaller portions. We all exercise together- even if it is a short walk or bike ride. My daughter is incredibly proud of me (she’s a skinny gymnast!) and tells me every day how well I’m doing. She is a great motivator! :D :D :D

As for my family, most of them still don’t know I’m losing weight. I frankly don’t want their compliments and feedback either way. I have had some comments from those who do know and they haven’t been overly supportive, so I rely on friends and this forum to help me stay on track!

I suppose that is really the long and short of it- hope you enjoy the read!
Bets
235/204MFStart/182/135
"Nothing is as good as this day"
VTGirlie
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby Elke » August 1st, 2006, 2:19 pm

That was a good read, thanks for the insight into you. Nice to get you know you better. Good for you for the honesty, I know its not easy and its a big first step...YOU DID IT!!!!
Elke
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Postby Prancer » August 1st, 2006, 6:44 pm

Bets I think I asked this once before but where in VT do you live?
Prancer
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby Aerie » August 1st, 2006, 6:55 pm

Very nice journal entry. I also used to hide my eating, primarily from my parents. I can also definitely understand the strong relatioship between food and celebration. You definitely seem to be off to a great start and I wish you all the luck in the world.
Aerie

Postby VTGirlie » August 2nd, 2006, 6:15 am

Thanks guys!

I'm in Central Vermont, near Montpelier. Coming to visit??? :D

This week has been tough for me. I was a volunteer director at a local summer camp last week, and unfortunately by day 2 I was completely off plan. First of all, the food is simply amazing. Secondly, it was just to hard to shake in front of the kids and eat with them providing a good example (eat what you are served, etc) while doing MF foods. I tried small concessions- less starches, no dessert, more veggies, etc, but I was still - honestly- off plan. The good news is that between the heat and the increased activity I actually only gained 2 pounds back after a whole week. I lost the first pound the day I got home and started back on plan.

Here is the hard part. I haven't been compliant since. I've had small cheats here and there before, but have jumped back on plan. This is really tough. Last night I even ate a bagel. I NEVER eat bagels. Weird. I was doing so well all day yesterday and then a BAGEL??? I read Beach Baby's entries and have talked to Carrie and know that this is a pattern for many of us. Somehow if the initial push is interrupted it is so hard to get back on track.

Now I'm irritated with myself and determined to get back on track. Grrrr. :x

Thanks for the words of encouragement, though!

:)

Bets
Bets
235/204MFStart/182/135
VTGirlie

Postby Prancer » August 2nd, 2006, 7:06 am

VTGirlie wrote:Thanks guys!

I'm in Central Vermont, near Montpelier. Coming to visit??? :D

I'm sorry you are having a tough time. It sounds like you want to be compliant and are just slipping a little.

I live in NY on the border. I have been thru Montpelier a few times. We frequently go to Burlington and Middlebury. Maybe we can get together some time for a L&G.
Prancer

Postby Sarya » August 2nd, 2006, 7:50 am

I have the same sort of relationship to food that you do. I also think of food as a nice social occasion or an integral part of a celebration. I don't think this is necessarily a bad thing; it's how we implement it.

For the past three years or so I've made it a point to cut cake pieces smaller. If a person wants more cake, go and get it, but people will eat a huge piece of cake just because it's in front of them.

When I have a party I make sure to have cheese chunks and fresh veggies available at a minimum. I always have the traditional bad for you party foods, but I try to balance it out with healthy stuff (the healthy stuff is always finished; the other stuff isn't!)

Anyway.. I don't think my relationship with food will change completely. I have no desire to take food out of celebrations and social engagements. I do however have a desire to make those occasions healthier and less of a binge eating sort of affair.

I'm sorry your hubby didn't respond more to your weight confession. When my roommate found out my weight he hopped on the scale right after me and pronounced me as weighing less than him. That spurred him into trying to eat healthier. I hope it works out for him; it has in the past. He's overweight, but not horribly so; I don't think MF is the way for him to go. He's a vegetarian and just has to pay closer attention to his carb intake. He's been known to eat an entire baguette in a sitting.

I hope things go well for you wrt the falling off plan. It can be hard once you get into the groove of not being compliant. I really do feel as commited as I did on day 1 right now. I think it helps that I don't get to weigh myself. I was using that as justification that the off plan eating was okay. If the scale didn't freak why should I? AHHH so now there isn't a scale, and all I can go on is how I feel, how I look, and what my food diary says. Cutting down on the carbs has helped an incredible amount with keeping me on course.

*hugs*

Good luck, Lady :) I know you can do it!
Sarya

Postby VTGirlie » August 2nd, 2006, 8:49 am

Ahhh, food! :)

Jenn- I would LOVE to see you for an LNG anytime! :) Just let me know when you're coming through. There are some great locals here in Montpelier.

"Sarya" :)- thanks hon! I think it is just a matter of climbing back on that horse, which some days feels bigger than others. I'm doing pretty well today! Thank you for your kind words and encouragement!!!

Bets
Bets
235/204MFStart/182/135
VTGirlie

Postby Aerie » August 2nd, 2006, 8:55 am

Gosh I know what you mean. It is hard to get back on track. Just know you're not alone. No worries though you'll do it. Just keepon Shakin'.

BTW when I lived in MA I used to ski in Vermont all the time.
Aerie

Postby VTGirlie » August 3rd, 2006, 8:41 am

The Dream

I had this really bizarre dream last night where I went to a huge Medifast "Jamboree" (????) at some big campground. Everyone there had been on the posts as being really compliant, and I was nervous that people might judge me for my "cheats", so I was determined to be on plan. I got there and had a blast, motivational speakers galore, etc. Then, I went into the kitchen to get some hot water and there were tons of Medifasters in there eating huge bowls of chili fries! Everyone had lost a lot of weight and they were quite thin, and they were encouraging me to try them. I ran out of the room and over to the "medifast concession stand" where people were in line buying hot fudge sundaes. Everywhere I turned people were cheating on their diet, but I refused to do it.

So strange.

I think I have some serious food baggage to work out. :)

The good news is that I woke up newly motivated today!!!

Bets
235/204MFStart/182/135
VTGirlie

Postby VTGirlie » August 7th, 2006, 7:58 am

Ahhh, another Monday.

Last week and weekend were tough for me. I'd have a good day, a bad day, a good day, and then I totally messed up this weekend.

My middle son's bday bash was this weekend complete with pizza and ice cream Sundaes, and I had a little of each. Then, I got donuts for the kids Sunday am and the leftovers were sitting there staring at me. I think I even heard one speak. So, I took a bite. One bite turned into two donuts, and suddenly I was realizing that I was putting these things into my mouth like a starving person. The worst thing was, I could tell that 1) I wasn't really enjoying the taste at all, and 2) I was already starting to not feel well as a result. So, I spit out the donut and went and put them all down the garbage disposal. I felt somewhat like an alcoholic must pouring liquor down the drain.

Today I feel I have regained some control and I'm back on track.

When I am on plan, doing well, staying the course these temptations aren't an issue for me. And when I get off plan it's as if they are everywhere.

I think carbs and sugar are my drugs of choice.

Sigh.

Here's to another week of trying for success! :)
Bets
235/204MFStart/182/135
VTGirlie

Postby dibbida » August 7th, 2006, 8:01 am

OK Vt im laughing my head off at the dream. :lol:
I look forward to your posts and nightmares.
dibbida

Postby Sarya » August 7th, 2006, 8:34 am

Sometimes I feel the same way! We can do this!
Sarya

Postby VTGirlie » August 14th, 2006, 11:08 am

Sadly, no more great dreams to report.

I've had some frustrating ups and downs for the last week or so. I'll do great for a day- even two- and then something comes up. When I first started I skirted temptation at every turn, and now it seems I just can't do it.

We're headed out of town this week. Hopefully it will give me some space to get my head on straight and re-commit. I'm hovering at 182, and that is just NOT okay. I think I just need a jump start.

Bets
235/204MFStart/182/135
VTGirlie

Back in the Saddle

Postby VTGirlie » August 30th, 2006, 9:24 am

Ahhh, Long Time, No Post.

It's been a rough few weeks for me. I've been compliant enough not to gain any weight and just naughty enough not to lose. I'm wondering what it is about 22 pounds that is making me self-sabotage?

last week my MIL was here and it was MAJORLY STRESSFUL, and somehow I made it through thte week okay. Then, this weekend I fell off the wagon big time.

Really, it was more like hurtling myself off the wagon and laying in the road while the other wagons drove right over me.

Very sad.

I baked, ate, baked, ate, cooked, ate, and also...ate.

Gained 4 pounds.

Igh!!!

So, today I am re-newly committed to the program. So far I have been on plan all day.

My husband was very encouraging by reminding me that at least I haven't quit yet. And he's right. I'm still here!

Only, there needs to be less of me here.

Here's to another day thinner!

Bets
Bets
235/204MFStart/182/135
VTGirlie

Next

Return to My Journal