Thought I'd Check In-in need of an ear

Introduce yourself to the forum.
(Guests Welcome)

Thought I'd Check In-in need of an ear

Postby StrivingSister » March 6th, 2006, 11:05 pm

Finished Day 17. No complaints. I smelled some delicious rice that my husband made yesterday, and I actually felt a little sad!....

But I keep reminding myself of Nancy's post for this week's roll call. She said:

"You already know exactly how that bread, or chip, or pizza, or cookie tastes.

You have had a lot of it in your lifetime.

You CAN live without it for a while longer.
If you choose to... "

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
It's kinda funny, right now, or today anyway, I don't feel down or depressed that my loss may be slow or that it's not working or something...I feel worried because I'm afraid that I'll mess up, or give up -which would lead to a big struggle to get back, comments from sceptical friends/ family, etc.

I don't want to fall off...I have a history of having an EXTREMELY difficult time getting back on any program. In fact I don't think that I ever really did go back to any program completely, or else I wouldn't be in this overweight situation.

I know a person is not supposed to worry about things that haven't happened. My mother always tells me that "a person can worry things into existence"! But I am scared. My track record...what it means if I DO mess up....

Please, I really need some reassurance today.

~StrivingSister
Age 30-5'6 1/2"
Start: 2/18/06-5&1
Last Weigh-In: 9/19/06
3rd Mini: 50 by 7/30-Met 7/18!
4th Mini: 65 by 9/17-60.2
StrivingSister
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Postby Dayna » March 6th, 2006, 11:34 pm

Sometimes trying to look at the whole picture all at once can be really scary and overwhelming, especially when that picture has as many challenges and changes as major weightloss does. When it gets to feeling like that, don't think about where you're going to be in two weeks, think about where you're going to be tomorrow. Can you make it through tomorrow on-plan? Of course you can! Then, get to tomorrow night, and think about the NEXT day. One day at a time.

One of my favorite movies is What About Bob, with Bill Murray (it's goofy, I know, but it cracks me up). As Bob (Bill Murray) is trying to get out of the psychiatrists office, the psych. tells him not to think about going all the way home, just think about getting out the door. Then, once he's out the door, think about getting down the hallway. Then, about getting on the elevator, and so on. He calls these "baby steps." He's not trying to achieve wellness all at once, he's just tackling whatever problem he's faced with at the moment.

All of which is to say, I think this approach can be helpful as we work the program and then transition into maintenance (even if it did come from a goofy movie). One day at a time. One meal at a time. One baby step at a time. Pretty soon, and before we realize it, all those steps and meals and days are going to add up to a nice long track record of compliance and success.

You've made it 17 days! That's fantastic! Don't be afraid to succeed at this. We've all had a ton of experience failing at diets; we're good at it, we know what it feels like, we know what to expect. Most of us that are here have not had a ton of experience succeeding in getting food under control; success is new, and we don't know what it feels like, and we don't know what to expect, and once the weight is off, then what? I bet people who are quitting smoking and drinking and drugs often have similar anxieties. You're doing great. Just keep up the good work, one baby step at a time, and those 57 lbs will have melted off right before your eyes!

You can do it!

- Dayna
Someone once wrote:I'm allergic to cake. I break out in fat when I eat it.

8/05 - 275
SD - 1/17/06 - 259

Dayna
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby Marseilles » March 7th, 2006, 5:35 am

Awesome response Dayna! Very uplifting. Sister, I know you can do it and I agree with Dayna, just do not look to the big picture right now. It sure can be very daunting! You and I have almost the exact same stats and desire to lose the same amount. I started week 5 on Monday and I know you can do it. It just keeps getting better and better! :)

Cheers, Im rootin for you!
-M.
:)
Marseilles
Preferred member

Postby MusicalMomma » March 7th, 2006, 6:08 am

:bravo: Dayna :bravo: EXCELLENT post! I know I needed that for today!!! I've had a TERRIBLE time staying on track! What inspiration!! S

Striving...you are NOT alone in your feelings. I can relate to EVERYTHING you wrote. It's wonderful that you can articulate your fears and worries and are asking for help. You are doing wonderful and like Dayna said, we need to take our baby steps then one day (just like Bob) we'll be shouting "I'M DOING IT!!! I'M DOINT IT!!!!" Keep the faith sister! :hug:
MusicalMomma
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby falisamarie » March 7th, 2006, 6:17 am

Sister

The others are so right. Take this one step at a time. You are not alone in this feeling. When I was about at the same stage you are my hubby ordered a cheesesteak calzone from the local pizza shop and when it arrived and he started to eat it I went to my room closed the door and SOBBED!!!!! I felt so stupid crying about of all things food but then I realized that it wasn't the food it was fear of failure and in a way fear of success. It sounds weird but I was worried and was asking the questions "what if"....what if I can't do this or what if I do this and then the weight comes right back or even what if I succeed and then I am not happy with the results.

I never knew what a mental struggle this would be for me but I do know that this is a journey that is worth taking. I know that I can succeed. I made it through that time doing just what Dayna said...I took baby steps and I came through it. I beleive that not only does our body change but so does our mentality and I consider the mental changes to be growing pains. I am shrinking physically but growing mentally in the way that I view food.

Many if not all of us had a love-hate relationship with food and now we have ended that relationship and just like ending any relationship there will be times of sadness with the change. My first marriage was to an extremely abusive man and while I knew that the relationship had to be ended and that I would be better off in the long run when I finally ended it it was painful for me. Same with food we know that we are better off getting healthy but there will be pain associated with ending our relationship with food.

Sorry for rambling. Hope you are feeling better

Lisa :heart:
Start date 1/15/06
falisamarie
Preferred Member - #100 Club
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Sistah

Postby Ginabobina1969 » March 7th, 2006, 6:53 am

Sistah, Sistah...my friend you have received some most excellent advice!!! I know the little fears your talking about..of failing, or this not working for you, or your not doing something right. lol I think that we all have those fears. Try to distance yourself from those fears and tackle one day at a time, like Dayna said.

I love rice too..we often steamed jasmine rice and have it around for days.

There are a couple sites you can do a "virtual model" of yourself at whatever weight. Go to google and google 'virtual model" and check out how hot you will look at your goal weight. That keeps me going somedays. I can hardly wait. :D

I know you can do this...heck, you already are. Stay the course, keep your eyes on the finish line and before you know it your family will believe in you the way we all do! The way you are learning to believe in yourself.

Keep Shaking!
Hugs
Gina

Previously...02/16/06 BMI-50 276/188
Restart....03/31/2008 -failed
Restart 03/26/09 280/267 Failed
Restart-Awaiting order. I cannot even bear to post my current weight...yet.
Ginabobina1969

You can Do this

Postby Julie » March 7th, 2006, 8:39 am

I dont think i have ever heard such wonderful words of wisdom. That is inspirational and what keeps me going. Sister, I know exactly how you feel ! Keep your chin up, we are all here for each other and for the same reasons.

We CAN do this TOGETHER :yes: we CAN. It's like that choo choo train trying to make it up the hill and he says I know i can, I know i can, I know i can. YOU CAN do this.

~Keep smiling :D
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]

Started MF 3/3/06
Starting Weight 214
Current wt 201
Goal 135
Julie
Regular Member - #10 Club

Postby 2BHealthy » March 7th, 2006, 9:26 am

Sister,

As you can see, many of us are struggling with the same feelings. Some days are easier than others but life is like that isn't it? I sometimes "mourn" the loss of food. I feel so stupid and it's such a scary thing. We just have to take baby steps as Dayna said. We can't think about tomorrow when we have one of those days. We have to bravely step forward towards success even though it's scary at times. Just take it one meal at a time when You are struggling. I try my best to follow that advice. Thank you for your post, posts like these bring us all together and we feel stronger for it.

We CAN do this. :goteam:
Linda
2BHealthy
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Re: Thought I'd Check In-in need of an ear

Postby ascicles » March 7th, 2006, 11:42 am

StrivingSister wrote:"You already know exactly how that bread, or chip, or pizza, or cookie tastes.

You have had a lot of it in your lifetime.

You CAN live without it for a while longer.
If you choose to... "

I usually hate motivational words. I don't have anything against them, it's just not something that I generally like. With that said, this is a really good quote. I'll have to keep that in mind.
ascicles
Preferred Member - #110 Club
Preferred Member - #110 Club

Postby Nicki » March 7th, 2006, 7:11 pm

Striving - Your post reminded me so much of the way I felt the first few months on the program. I felt like I was walking a tightrope ... one false move and I would plummet to the ground. Because, just like you, in the past when I've faltered on a program I end up completely off program and eventually heavier than when I started. I've finally gotten away from those feelings, mainly by seeing the stories of people who have actually lost the weight, seeing my own scale going down, and by resisting the temptations that come my way to have just a nibble of something I shouldn't.
So, revel in your successes so far and know that there will be many more if you just stay compliant and confident in knowing that the smart folks at Medifast have given us a program where we undoubtedly WILL lose the weight if we just follow the plan.
Nicki
started 9/19/05

Nicki
Preferred Member - #120 Club
Preferred Member - #120 Club

Postby ToyDiva » March 8th, 2006, 7:55 am

This support forum has to be one of the best out there. Never have I heard such words of encouragement on the WW site. I think that is why MF works so much better also. Knowing you can come here and hear words of wisdom from those who are already well on their path. Thank you for helping StrivingSister and thanks for helping me.
Started 02/21/6

ToyDiva
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby StrivingSister » March 8th, 2006, 9:31 am

Thank you SO much everyone! I really feel so much better after reading your posts.

I'm also glad that I am not alone in my feelings.

Again, I appreciate your advice, and I hope that I can be as helpful to you in the future.
Age 30-5'6 1/2"
Start: 2/18/06-5&1
Last Weigh-In: 9/19/06
3rd Mini: 50 by 7/30-Met 7/18!
4th Mini: 65 by 9/17-60.2
StrivingSister

Return to Come on in.