They changed the Quick Start Guide BIG TIME!

Questions/Comments about Weight loss Products.

Postby pinkbugs471 » April 23rd, 2007, 4:22 am

Boy do I feel stupid. :hammerhead: I have been doint this program wrong since November. After reading what Nickiluv said about the condiments, I went and re-read what the guide lines were. I swear I do not remember reading that Splenda was on that list. I also do not remember that I was limited to three pack a day. I put that much in one cup of coffee. I bet in a day, I use at least 10-15 packs of Splenda. :dooh:
I figured they did not have any calories, so they were ok. I wonder if that is why I have had so many 1# weeks????

Guess I will break my habbit and see what happens. :eyecrazy:
Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must set yourself on fire

231/168/140
pinkbugs471
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Postby bikipatra » April 23rd, 2007, 4:33 am

I use the pink stuff too-is that also limited? I use Slenda about three times a day so I guess I am okay.
Restart Date: January 1, 2010
12/31/09 226.8
226.8/218/135
bikipatra
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Postby pinkbugs471 » April 23rd, 2007, 4:43 am

Not sure about the pink stuff... It says Splenda & Equal. Sweet & low was not mentioned...

We really need Nancy to sort this mess out. :?
Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must set yourself on fire

231/168/140
pinkbugs471

Postby Pashta » April 23rd, 2007, 6:48 am

That is a new thing, limiting splenda to 3 packs a day. You realize that each packet has almost a gram of carbs in it so 10-15 packs a day equals almost a whole supplement's worth of carbs! That very well could be the reason for your slow losses Pinky...
- Tonia

Start: 03/20/06 (restart 3/19/07)
3 kids: 3 mos, 18 mos, 11 yrs old
Month 1: -4.4,-0.8,-4.0,-2.2 (-11.4, -7 in.)
Month 2: -1.6,-1.6,-3.4
Pashta
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby bikipatra » April 23rd, 2007, 7:54 am

pinkbugs471 wrote:Not sure about the pink stuff... It says Splenda & Equal. Sweet & low was not mentioned...

We really need Nancy to sort this mess out. :?

Well, I use the pink stuff once a day at Starbucks and Splenda 2-3 times for coffee or tea a day but I will be hypervigilent from now on!
Restart Date: January 1, 2010
12/31/09 226.8
226.8/218/135
bikipatra

Postby Nancy » April 23rd, 2007, 1:59 pm

Hi there ~

Yes, I am aware Medifast was in the process of changing the Quick Start Booklet. Dr. Andersen along with the Nutritionists reviewed the program over the last few months and were making revisions.

In light of the carb content and how the glycemic load of certain vegetables can change when the vegetables are eaten raw or cooked, some revisions were made. Some of you are aware there is a fine line between being ‘in’ or ‘out’ of the fat-burning state and just a few extra carbs can do it – that’s precisely why we encourage people to not add a lot of extra items to their daily food intake.

I received a preliminary guide a while back and was waiting for the finalization before announcing it to you. I noticed that we also received Quick Start Program booklets in our recent BeSlim Club orders and assumed it was to get rid of them in anticipation of the new version’s debut.

When my husband and I started the weight loss phase in 2002 we were attracted to the program because of several features:
The program is simple – we did not have to be mathematicians; no counting calories or carbs. We just needed a measuring cup and a kitchen scale (we actually used our office postal scale).
We did not need a gym membership to be successful – as we were able; we progressively increased our activity level and increased our fitness level.
There was no need for us to reinvent the program – it is clinically proven and we trusted the program as it is written; yes, we are mindless. We just mix our shakes, drink them down every 2.5 hours and have water chasers. The program is designed to be muscle-sparing when a person follows the program – tweaking the program is not in our best interest if we want to lose fat and retain muscle tissue.

When we started the program in 2002, the meat portion sizes were slightly larger for men than women (7 ounces for men; 5 ounces for women) and the vegetable serving size was one cup of cooked vegetables.

I view the changes to the Quick Start Booklet to be most helpful. The Medifast products are designed in a specific ratio of protein to carbohydrates to fat. I know my personal perspective about fat was that I wanted to avoid it as much as possible. Erroneously, I thought fat was bad-bad-bad and did my best to avoid it most of the time. We need some fat in our diet to help with elimination, to keep the skin and hair soft and moisturized, to assist with cell manufacturing and turnover and to keep our liver and gall bladder humming along. Some fat is essential and this new guide gives a great breakdown for us to show us how to effectively get some 'good' fat each day. Like some of you, I prefer to go the more natural route and avoid marg and use olive oil, olives or canola oil.

I’ve always been told to not combine the Medifast Meal Packets with additional vegetables or additional protein to maintain the balance of the macronutrients – such as not using part of the vegetable serving by adding say ¼ to ½ cup of the vegetables from the Lean and Green meal to a packet of the Medifast Soup and yet others have done so and have consistently lost weight. The nutritionists at Medifast now say that you may eat the vegetables and the protein separately, for example that you may use some of your vegetables with your Medifast soup such as adding ¼ cup broccoli to your Medifast Minestrone Soup or the Creamy Brocc Soup or some chopped tomatoes to your Creamy Tomato Soup as long as you keep track of the daily vegetable serving. You could eat 7 ounces of Crab with ½ Teaspoon of cocktail sauce for lunch and later in the day eat one cup of chopped cucumber along with a 1 packet of Chicken With Wild Rice soup with an additional ½ c mushrooms and a green onion.

I do feel it is important to keep a daily food journal, to record weight loss and activity level as it provides a record of what you’ve done. If you notice a change in your rate of weight loss it can assist us in determining why.

I noticed the new Quick Start Guide indicates the Snack options are two dill pickle spears rather than two dill pickles (to me pickles suggests two whole dills…) it also says ½ C sugar-free Jell-O. In the past, some documents said up to 1 cup of Sugar free Jell-O. IMHO, to keep people on the straight and narrow and the scale moving downward, the pre-packaged Sugar Free Jell-O snackette cups in the ½ cup serving are the best way to go. Just because the program booklet indicates that we may have a snack, it does not mean we MUUT have a daily snack. It is an option during the first few days of the program when hunger is more apparent or when a person is feeling especially foody and cannot seem to satisfy that need for eating by slugging down a few more glasses of water.

The new version of the Quick Start Guide indicates two Bocca or two Morning Star Burgers; the former version states one burger patty.

I view the changes as showing us the versatility of the program. The new vegetable and protein chart will enable us all to keep on thinnin’ and to enjoy the abundance that is ours when we make healthy choices.

Re: Splenda Sweeteners are really up to the choice of the individual. I prefer the taste of Splenda and do not use more than 1 or 2 packets a day. My experience is that the more sweet stuff I eat, the more I want. If I want something sweet to drink, I drink licorice tea, mint tea or passion tea because they are naturally sweet. I love the cinnamon Cinnabon sells – it is called Makara – it sells for $4.99/ bottle and we add some of the Cinnabon cinnie to our Medifast oatmeal; it makes it flavorful and satisfying without adding extra carbs. Sometimes we add a packet of Splenda to our Medifast Oatmeal along with the Cinnabon Makara Cinnamon.
Liquid sweeteners are somewhat lower in carbs than the powdered forms. Just remember, the sweeteners are considered condiments. For best weight loss results, use no more than three condiment servings per day.

(Sheesh! If you are using 12 packets of Splenda or sweetener a day, that’s a lotta additional carbs – no wonder you are so sweet!)
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club

Postby pinkbugs471 » April 23rd, 2007, 2:14 pm

I do admit I have a terrible sweet tooth. :oops: That's how I ended up in the shape I WAS in. :D

I have went cold turkey :turkey: with the Splenda in the coffee. I just used skin milk all day. I honestly did not know there were any carbs in it. OOPS!

In the new guide it says we can have 2 cups of egg beaters? That's a lot.
Breakfast for dinner was what was on the menu tonight. I don't think I can do 2 cups... we will see. maybe I will have some fat free cheese in it.

231/168/140
pinkbugs471

Postby Tawanda » April 23rd, 2007, 3:11 pm

Nancy, thank you for all of this information. I don't use the sweeteners but I do need to watch my veggie portion sizes closer as I tend to eyeball them and sometimes my eyeballs are pretty hungry. ;)
Began MediFast 2/10/07 212#
Reached Goal 3/15/08 147#
Renewed commitment 9/20/09-after regaining 38# (185#)
Reached Goal 1/25/10 147# Maintaining :)
Tawanda

Postby Pashta » April 23rd, 2007, 4:17 pm

Thank you for posting your take on this, Nancy! :) They still have the condiment & snack download up and it still says 1 cup of sugarfree jello though. Wonder if they'll change that. I sure hope they don't take away the 1 oz of unsalted, dry roasted nuts cause I have had almonds a couple of times. (If they do I'll pretend I didn't read it LOL..)
- Tonia

Pashta

Postby SuzyQ66 » April 23rd, 2007, 5:33 pm

I just read the condiments list and it still says for sweeteners limit them to 10 packets a day. I always get decaf coffee in the morning and it's probably 16 oz - I put 6 packets in it - but then that's it. So you mean to tell me that now we need to limit it to 3 packets? Well that sucks!! I am protesting!!
Sue
SuzyQ66

Postby Nancy » April 23rd, 2007, 6:50 pm

Some people may have a more sensitive metabolism than others and must strictly watch their carb intake.

Remember, the program is designed for safe, rapid weight loss and additional packets of sweeteners, an ounce more of protein or extra servings of vegetables has the potential of knocking some clients out of the fat-burning state.
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy

Postby Pashta » April 24th, 2007, 9:28 am

Hey I thought I'd update on the snacks - This is a response from Nutrition Support on if we are still allowed the same snacks:

We certainly didn't intend to confuse you! Medifast decided to post a sneak preview of the next version of the Quick Start Guide on-line for customers to view. Hard copies of the guide will be coming with future orders. It is not a required change for customers to make. We just wanted you to know what will be coming if you choose to view or change the portion sizes of your current options. We want you to be happy with the plan so you will be successful. 1 tbsp of peanut butter as a snack and the shirataki noodles, on occasion, as the vegetable are okay. You may use 1 tbsp of cream cheese as your fat allotment if needed.
- Tonia

Pashta

Postby Nancy » April 24th, 2007, 2:30 pm

IMO, you hafta be some kind of a super person to limit your snack to one spoon of PB. (BTW, I have seen conflicting serving sizes of PB - some docs say one TEASPOON, others one TABLESPOON...either way, the carbs are not the major issue, the calories and fat can be the difference for people that are frustrated with a slower weight loss or constant cravings.)

The spoonfuls of PB, packets of Splenda, dips into the dill pickle jar, 5 olives, 1 ounce of nuts, splashes of sugar-free syrups, sloshes of salad dressings, etc. have a compounding effect and while the variety is cool, they do make it more challenging for some of us to snap the lid shut on a can of nuts and walk rapidly away.
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy

Postby lifelovinaries » April 25th, 2007, 5:22 pm

All i can say is SHEESH!!! This is starting to sound complicated, just give me some packets, water and a microwave!!!! :)

restart: 01/04/10
lifelovinaries
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Previous

Return to Weight Loss