The Secret?

Give us the skinny in the losers lounge.
(Anything off topic)

The Secret?

Postby FrankieJ » May 8th, 2007, 12:49 pm

Has anyone read The Secret or watched the dvd?

I have had several clients/colleagues suggest it and am curious. Think I will check it out but wonder if anyone out there already has.
Re-Re-Start Date: 7-9-07; 5'2", 183
Mini Goal: 4 wks of compliance & 165 by 8/6/07
Mini Goal: 140 by 9/30/07
Mini Goal: 125 by 11/20/67, My 40th B-Day!
FrankieJ
Trusted Member

Postby DogMa » May 8th, 2007, 1:12 pm

One of our reporters did a great story about it. His truck broke down, so he wished for a tow truck, etc. It didn't work for him.

From what I gather, it's just positive thinking.
Robin

203/130/130
Reached goal in August 2006
Added BodyBugg in May 2009
New ticker: 136.6/123.2/130
DogMa
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby Mike » May 8th, 2007, 1:14 pm

Haven't read it, and don't really plan to. I think my time would be spend better just reading my Bible or something relative to that.
:mrgreen:
Pre WLS 460
Low after WLS 300
Start of MF 350
Previous MF low 280
Restart MF 330

I have to be careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business.
Mike
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby Lauren » May 8th, 2007, 1:40 pm

Or perhaps just "doing" the things we want, instead of wishing, hoping, dreaming them.

I agree with you guys, especially you, Robin, it's positive thinking. Heck, I'm already enough of an optimist/idealist, I think my friends and family will shoot me if I grow in that area!

I think we create our own destinies by taking action on our dreams!

Lauren
Lauren
Preferred Member - #170 Club

Postby FrankieJ » May 8th, 2007, 2:06 pm

Hi Mike,
I hear ya!
Actually I need to buy a "large print" Bible as I usually have my free time at night before bed :) but by then I can't squint at the small print. :| I think I have put it off as it makes me feel "old" to need large print! I do find my attitude toward life so much better when I make time for daily reading and prayer.
FrankieJ
Trusted Member

Postby FrankieJ » May 8th, 2007, 2:19 pm

Hi Lauren and Robin!

Robin, yah, I'm still waiting for my Jumbo-size Publisher's Clearing House check to arrive....
FrankieJ
Trusted Member

Postby Lauren » May 8th, 2007, 2:34 pm

OMG, Frankie, me too! Perhaps we should walk over to Ed McMahon's house and ask for it directly?

:-)
Lauren

Postby DogMa » May 8th, 2007, 2:51 pm

You shouldn't have to, according to the book. Just wish for it, and maybe believe Ed's on his way. And there he'll be.

I wonder if it'd work with Power Ball (even though I never actually play). I want one of the BIG jackpots.

Of course, it worked for losing weight. I just had to wish for it ... and then eat Medifast products for a year and a half. Sigh.
Robin

203/130/130
DogMa

Postby KellyC » May 8th, 2007, 8:41 pm

I haven't read it, but it's making it's rounds through our family and friends.

IMO, there's nothing wrong with positive thinking at all, and I think it can be very very powerful.
KellyC
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Hi

Postby dede4wd » May 8th, 2007, 8:58 pm

Somebody left another book like that in my hotel room and I read and enjoyed it. It was called the Law of Attraction by Michael Losier or something. It's all positive thinking stuff. I like paying attention to when I have a negative thought in my head and that just reinforced it.

D
dede4wd

Postby DogMa » May 10th, 2007, 2:51 pm

Definitely nothing wrong with positive thinking. Unless you think all you have to do is wish for something (or think happy thoughts) and you'll get everything you want.
Robin

203/130/130
DogMa

Postby hulagirlfromhawaii » May 11th, 2007, 4:23 pm

DogMa wrote:Definitely nothing wrong with positive thinking. Unless you think all you have to do is wish for something (or think happy thoughts) and you'll get everything you want.

I read the book and watched the DVD... There's alot more to it than "wishing" for somethng, or "thinking happy thoughts".

It's teaching people something that we already, inately know :whether through faith in God, the power of the Universe, or whatever higher power you believe in. It's not just "wishing".. it's the power of intention, and attraction, believing, and then acting upon it. For alot of people out there, this is a great tangible tool to use to achieve goals that they would otherwise, never even think of trying.

It works. My cousin has used this recently when wanting to buy a new home. The funds were not there to buy her 2 million dollar home, as her current home was still up for sale with no buyers. As she used the principles given, which by the way ,is faith in God, prayer, etc., but visualizing herself in the home, and intending that she will get it..... Well, I just talked to her yesterday, and she moved in to that exact home 2 weeks ago. She was talking about buying the home in Mid-March. Her other home is still not sold, yet things fell into place for her to and her husband to gain the finances for her house.

Sure, alot of us already use these principles on a regular basis, but for many people out there, it has changed their lives, for the better.
Last edited by hulagirlfromhawaii on May 14th, 2007, 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kanani

165/146.5/125
hulagirlfromhawaii
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby Mickeyz » May 11th, 2007, 4:47 pm

It's not just "wishing".. it's the power of intention, and attraction, believing, and then acting upon it. For alot of people out there, this is a great tangible tool to use to achieve goals that they would otherwise, never even think of trying.

Hulagirl you make a good point. Intention and action are so important once you have decided what you want. Many people just don't understand the tools to achieve their goals. There is a whole mindset in addition to just thinking positive. It can change your life to weed out negative thoughts and then take consistent action to achieve what you want. Even if you don't achieve exactly what you set out to do you will certianly be ahead of where you started!

We all create our own realities! We just have to get clear on what that reality is and then do the work to make it true (not just think happy thoughts...but that can be nice too!)

I love this kind of stuff, it can be so powerful. Just think, if the whole world got on this wave length what would the world be like? Just Imagine

OK, I have said enough! :roll:
Reached Goal Nov 2007 61.5 lbs lost
Gained 11 lbs in Mexico 3/08, decided to lose that along with another 5 lbs!
Mickeyz
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Postby hulagirlfromhawaii » May 11th, 2007, 10:02 pm

We all create our own realities! We just have to get clear on what that reality is and then do the work to make it true (not just think happy thoughts...but that can be nice too!)

I love this kind of stuff, it can be so powerful. Just think, if the whole world got on this wave length what would the world be like? Just Imagine

OK, I have said enough! :roll

I think that's the whole point of "The Secret", is to get as many people as possible thinking of bigger and better possiblilities for there lives and for the world, to make both a better place to be.

Even if you don't believein this stuff, it's still worth checking out. It just makes alot of sense, no matter what walk of life you come from. :mrgreen:
Kanani

165/146.5/125
hulagirlfromhawaii
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby Mike » May 14th, 2007, 8:47 am

Mike wrote:Haven't read it, and don't really plan to. I think my time would be spend better just reading my Bible or something relative to that.

In re-reading this post... I realized how negative that sounded (which is exactly what The Secret is trying to get people away from right?).

Anyhow, to each their own is all I meant. Nothing wrong with reading or learning about stuff, I'm just cautious to not get "caught up" with the masses.

Pre WLS 460
Low after WLS 300
Start of MF 350
Previous MF low 280
Restart MF 330

I have to be careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business.
Mike

Return to What's Shakin'