The importance of water

Need a lift? Drop in to see some of our most popular posts.

The importance of water

Postby Jeanette » January 30th, 2004, 1:33 pm

Hi y'all! I want to share my recent experience with you and give you a tip.

I was snowed in on Monday and Tuesday--spents LOTS of time online and doing other domestic type stuff. Since I was not in my usual office routine, I did not consume the 64+oz water I usually do. Tuesday morning I stepped on the scales and had a 4 pound GAIN! I freaked a bit, trying to figure out why this had happened. I knew I had stuck to the program, with the exception of the water consumption and not working out on Monday.

Wednesday I was able to come back to the office and my normal routine. Call me Camel Girl, cause I drank that stuff like it was going out of style!! THE VERY NEXT DAY...all four pounds were gone! And this morning (Friday), another TWO POUNDS gone!.

The moral of the story: No matter what, keep up with your water consumption. It really does make all the difference!!
Jeanette :star:
(340) 325/300/180
"Discipline is simply choosing between what you want now and what you want the most."--Unknown
PROGRESS, not PERFECTION
Jeanette
Preferred Member - 60# Club

lemons ok?

Postby ErikaEastwood » February 18th, 2004, 7:20 am

This might sound like a silly question, but you know im new at this stuff-- I put a slice of lemon in my water for flavor. Is this ok, I mean it wont hurt my weightloss will it? Thats about the only way I can drink water is with a lemon in it.. :?
ErikaEastwood
Regular Member - #30 Club

Postby Jeanette » February 18th, 2004, 8:19 am

Not silly at all....

Lemon is a natural diuretic, and pretty good for the body. But don't do TOO much lemon juice becase there are a few carbs in it.
Jeanette :star:
(340) 325/300/180
"Discipline is simply choosing between what you want now and what you want the most."--Unknown
PROGRESS, not PERFECTION
Jeanette
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Postby elle4nelly » February 18th, 2004, 2:09 pm

Jeanette you're right about that water!!
Final Restart on Dec 18th
elle4nelly
Preferred member

Water consumption

Postby txqueenbee42 » February 22nd, 2004, 5:58 pm

Hi, thanks for the answer about the water. That is probably why I didn't lose and weight this week because I didn't drink the water like I was suppose too!!!
Sexy in Texas!!!!!
txqueenbee42

Postby elle4nelly » February 23rd, 2004, 8:34 am

TX Queen?

You need to guzzle that water!! And plateau can happen on this diet but they don't last long! It is not possible for your body to retain weight on 500-700 calories a day over a very long period of time unless you are not drinking enough water. The laws of Survival (I am a biology major) have it that eventually, in order to stay alive and be able to function the body will have to start breaking down that fat into glucose for energy (Survival) This means ...you start to loose weight again. As women our weight fluctuate daily. At first, I use to complain because I held weight for 3-4 days and then overnight BAM!!!!!!! 5-6lbs dropped off. I've been on Medifast for 34 days and have lost most of my 28.5lbs that way.... nothing for a few days and one morning I get up and a big chunk comes off!!!
I know what my body is doing! It is resisting my attempt to survive on a VLCD (Very low calorie diet). Therefore for a few days it stocks up waiting for me to up my caloric intake and when it doesn’t happen…it is forced in order to keep me alive to utilize what I give it and break down my fat to make up for the rest…. I think after a couple of months my body will give up the fight against me for good and I will start dropping in a steady manner. Because the body also has a memory; And my attempt to loose weight in the past 5-7 years usually have not lasted past 10 weeks. I know my body remembers that, and waits for me to give up by that 10-week mark. So I anticipate that the fighting will go on until I past the 10-week mark. At which point, all will be fine…My body will finally adapt and realize that we need to stay alive and the measly 500 calories per day thing isn’t going anywhere….so keep breaking down the fat cells …
God created a perfect machine when He did the Human Body. Wished I didn’t abuse mine so much!! Now it’s giving me a run for my money! Good thing I am stubborn and determined (I’m a Leo Queen, Hear me roaring!!) Hi! Hi!
So I dig you girlfriend..... Just keep shaking and it will come off...there's simply no way around it; your body will let go.... And drink that water!!! It lessens your plateau time!!

Cheers My Shakin’ Pals!!
Nelly :cheers:
elle4nelly
Preferred member

Postby kdluster » February 23rd, 2004, 9:07 am

Nelly:

Thanks for your post! It puts everything into perspective, and helped me understand what my body is doing when I don't lose.

Karen
kdluster
Regular Member - #30 Club

Postby TamiL » February 23rd, 2004, 9:45 am

Great Post Nelly!! Im sure that will help with everyone struggling with thier plateau's!! I havent stuck to anything in the last few years past 8 weeks...so BOY OH BOY..is my body in for a shocker!! :-P Tuesday will be 3 weeks for me...they say once you do something for 21 days in a row..that it then becomes HABIT!! well...my shakes are certainly Habit....so I still got about 5 weeks till my body thinks "this chic is up to it again..shes going to start pigging out any day now"!! NOT THIS TIME!!! :-P :-P :-P This chic is taking it ALL THE WAY!!!

ALL THE WAY TO THINVILLE USA!

;)
thanks for the post....as always...you all are a great inspiration!!
Tami
ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE IF YOU BELEIVE!!!

Medifast RESTART 13 March 09
150/my goal weight is 130
TamiL
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Postby elle4nelly » February 23rd, 2004, 10:02 am

hi! hi!

You're too Funny!

Yes,the body remembers every diet you put it through but most of all it knows at wich point you've given up and what weight you've recycled over and over. ( 30lbs for me...I've lost and regain the same 30lbs in periods that lasted anywhere from 5 to 10 weeks). Once we past that mark...the fighting decreases or dies off. Do I have a surprise for my body this time too??? I am not stopping, so it better get a grip. In the past it has won the fights. It resisted weight loss and after that first or second plateau I'd give up!
This time I ain't stopping. And the good thing is that It can't , simply not possible on a VLCD diet to plateau forever.... On a 1200-1400 calorie diet( The ones the FDA and everyone wants you to be on) On those diet my body will not come off a plateau!!!!
The caloric intake of a 1200-1400 calorie diet is not low enough to motivate my body to continue loosing weight...it simply adapt to that amount by slowing down my metabolism.
Sure on Medifast our metabolism slow down considerably but the point is...the human body is not meant to live on 500 calories...So it is forced to eventually break down the fat tissues and unfortunaly some protein to make up for the deficit. That is why this diet is high in protein and why no one should play around and drink less than the recommended shakes!! Your heart and Brain ( both muscles) would begin to fail on you...after a while...
It's hard to make our bodies behave as we wish but in all fairness...we didn't exactly behave in a way our body wished either thus here we are...it's a 2 way street. Treat your body right and it will do right by you!!

But for now, I'll keep shaking and beating my body into submission...5 more weeks and it will stop bugging!

See ya in Thinville USA!

Nelly
elle4nelly
Preferred member

Postby Nancy » February 23rd, 2004, 10:43 am

That's the beauty of Medifast - it is nutritionally balanced - not without carbs - but carbs and protein in the right balance and it allows the body to do what it was created to do.

Every day eating all of the foods allowed, drinking all of the water prescribed, those flabby pounds will come off. Then when you are able, begin some gentle exercise to tone and get your muscles and heart fit and as you reach your goal, add back foods in the correct amounts and frequencies, increase your exercise and you will be just fine.
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club

Postby shineface » February 23rd, 2004, 10:48 am

Nelly ---

What can I say except THANK YOU ---- everything you shared made so much sense and having just finished week 4 - helps me to understand so much about going forward and how this will work.

BECAUSE --- Together we WILL do this!!!!!!!!

Your time and posts are SOOOOOOO appreciated. :D
Pam -"I AM the ME in MEdifast"
Start = 1/24/04 70 down 60 up
5/1/05=279.6
You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf. - Unknown
shineface
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby elle4nelly » February 23rd, 2004, 10:57 am

:oops:

Queen Pam!

Thank you!!!!
elle4nelly
Preferred member

YOU ARE RIGHT NELLY

Postby nanah2 » February 23rd, 2004, 11:21 am

I'M TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU, DUE I'M NOT A BIOLOGIST, I HAD OVER TEH YEARS, WATER RETENTION PROBLEMS (NORMONES) AND MY EXPERIENCE IS CLOSE TO YOURS. OUR BODY HAS I

TS OWN MEMORY AND IS READY TO FIGHT BACK :x :x UNLESS WE DO SOMETHING AND FIGHT STAYING IN THE RIGHT PATH, :exercise: WHICH IS HERE.

THANKS FOR SAHRING WITH US.

KEEP GOING ALL, WE CAN DO IT :goteam:
nanah
nanah2

Return to The Elevator