Thanksgiving

Post your weight loss successes or failures here...:)

Thanksgiving

Postby VK » November 15th, 2003, 7:29 pm

Hi all. I’ve been a tad busy this week since Congress is winding up for the year, but I’m pleased to report that I’ve stuck with the plan faithfully! I had a very, very weak moment a few days ago when I was at a meeting and a plate of danishes was being passed around, but I didn't take one. On Thursday I had a modified meal of a mixed greens salad w/o dressing (I’m starting to love lime juice on greens instead of dressing or salt!) and a 3 oz. can of tuna with lime juice and pepper all over the fish. It was very satisfying. I want to keep my stomach in good working order and I think I should eat a modified meal once a week or so. I’ve been running towards the bathroom once too often, if you know what I mean. :oops:

I don’t own a scale so I don’t know how much I’ve lost in my first week and a half now, but I DO know that I can button a pair of size 12 slim-fit Levis which I couldn’t even pull over my hips 2 weeks ago! They’re FAR too tight to really wear (sitting down in them was NOT an option!) but just getting them on gave me some idea of how far I’ve come so quickly! I know the initial weight loss is mostly water, but hey, I’m loving it! I really am going to have to get a scale so I can chart my progress.

I am really concerned about Thanksgiving and the big Turkey Day meal. I read somewhere that the average American eats 3000 calories at Thanksgiving dinner alone (yikes) and in my family we have dinner at about 2:00 after church, then snack on leftovers later in the evening. Sheesh! As it turns out, I’m going to spend this Thanksgiving with my boyfriend’s family. His father died years ago, but I’ve met his mother a few times and I really like her. His two brothers and their wives will also be there for dinner. There are no grandkids so it’ll just be adults. This is the first holiday I’ve spent with his family and he’ll be going home with me for Christmas. We’re getting pretty serious and inching towards marriage perhaps in the next year or two, so the holiday rituals are important. I just don’t see any way to skip Thanksgiving dinner. The LAST thing I want to do is offend my future mother-in-law as she serves up her famous casserole or whatever. And I don't want to explain that I'm on Medifast. Most people think I'm not heavy enough to need anything as "drastic" as Medifast so I'm sick of being lectured about that too. Anyway, I’ve decided to have Thanksgiving dinner, but I’m going to avoid the carbs and make it as close to a modified plan dinner as I can. Of course this will take some doing!

I’m really not as tempted by pastries and sweets as I thought I would be which is nothing short of miraculous given how much I love them. I watched a co-worker eat a Snickers and it really did not phase me at all. Amazing! I say all that to say I’ll be okay skipping the pies and cakes and breads at Thanksgiving. The whole visit will take some doing and I’ve already decided I’m going to go into it saying I have an upset stomach so I need teeny portions. The tiny potions thing is partially true because I’ve noticed when I have had the modified meal that I feel very stuffed after just a side salad and a few ounces of meat. I think the cover story will help me just take the turkey and veggies at dinner without arousing too much suspicion, but skipping the meal altogether just isn’t a viable option. Comments? Suggestions? Anybody else in a similar position?

Vonni
VK

Postby Ellen » November 16th, 2003, 7:11 am

Vonni,
Congrats on getting those size 12s on!! That's a great accomplishment if you couldn't even pull them on 2 weeks ago. To me there is nothing more satisfying than fitting into smaller clothes!

As for Thanksgiving, I'm sure you'll do fine. Turkey itself is low fat and doesn't have that many calories. Depending on what kind of veggies they have and how they cook them, you should be able to cruise through just fine.

We go to my husband's family's for Christmas. We actually do Thanksgiving at his Aunt's house. Of his entire extended family, there may be one or two people who are not overweight.

A few years ago, I was helping his mother prepare the turnips to bring to Thanksgiving. Since my family had never cooked turnips, I had no idea how it was done. Let's just say, I was amazed! She cooked up a pound of bacon and removed it from the pan and crumbled it up. She then dumped the pound of crumbled bacon along with the entire pan of bacon fat into the turnips. UGH!! To say I was horrified is putting it mildly. To this day I have never touched Turnips. My husband thinks they're wonderful and he's welcome to have them once a year at Thanksgiving because hell will freeze over before I will cook that!!!!

So beware, I've seen people put mayo in mashed potatoes along with two sticks of butter and some heavy cream. There is not one thing remotely posing as a healthy vegetable at Thanksgiving at my husband's Aunt's house. I've decided to bring along a salad to share and I'll just eat salad and turkey. The stuffing will be hard to resist, but I find I just don't crave the sweets any more.

I'm sure you'll do great Vonni, you are strong. Don't worry excessively about the plan. Relax and enjoy meeting your future in-laws. I hope you have a wonderful time!

Ellen
Ellen
Trusted Member - #30 Club

Return to The Weight Room