Teriyaki Sauce?

Questions/Comments about Weight loss Products.

Teriyaki Sauce?

Postby 09173 » March 7th, 2006, 4:45 pm

According to medifast, I am allowed 1-2 teaspoons of any condiment. What about teriyaki sauce?

The reason I ask is because my favorite brand's first ingredient is sugar. I've never seen a sauce with sugar as it's main ingredient, but this one has it. Would 1-2 teaspoons be horrible, or would this still fall under the allowable condiments?

Postby DogMa » March 7th, 2006, 4:54 pm

I'd use it very sparingly. Or switch to one of the low-carb brands, which have no sugar and are sweetened with Splenda. That's what I use most of the time now (although they're not quite as good as my favorite, Soy Vey). I use a low-carb sauce and usually add some fresh garlic and scallions to help it along.
Robin

203/130/130
Reached goal in August 2006
Added BodyBugg in May 2009
New ticker: 136.6/123.2/130
DogMa
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby ascicles » March 7th, 2006, 5:30 pm

That's been my problem. I searched FOREVER for a brand of teriyaki sauce that I wanted. It's too bad mine is so high in sugar :-(
ascicles
Preferred Member - #110 Club

Postby DogMa » March 7th, 2006, 5:35 pm

Yeah, most are. The Carb Options one is OK, but it's better with some doctoring. I like the one from Maple Grove Farms of Vermont, or something like that, too. Neither will ever be as good as the real thing, but they're not bad.
Robin

203/130/130
DogMa

Postby sidrah » March 7th, 2006, 6:09 pm

I always have Carb Options in the cabinet. It is not bad. If you are marinating, add in some spices or ginger or garlic and let it marinade a little longer. Poke holes in the chicken or meat to let some juice flow in during the soaking time.
sidrah
Preferred member

Postby Gwenski » March 8th, 2006, 3:28 pm

Okay here's the deal - the condiments are BBQ, Ketchup and Mustard. I had the same question when I began and was heartbroken at the NO teriyaki rule.

We have to make this program our own and if it is a deal breaker for you then you can work your way around it.

On days that I go for my teriyaki splurge, I have NO snacks and have steamed veggies with nothing on them and then feel that I have balanced out the splurge. It is a give and take which I think will carry over nicely to maintenance and therefore....THE REST OF OUR LIVES. Mind you - don't go nuts and use a ton - use the recommended serving and NO more. This is not an endorsement for you to cheat just an alternative that I have used rather well and not often.

Point is, we cannot have anything and everything we want when we want it. Learning to figure this out and planning to work whatever it is, into what we are doing will be something that won't hurt if it spills out to other non-food related aspects of our lives.

Okay, I am off my soapbox now - hope this helped a little.
Gwenski

Began July 6, 2005 & Originally lost 131.19#'s
New Start Date: November 8, 2008
Gwenski
Preferred Member - #100 Club
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Postby ascicles » March 8th, 2006, 4:41 pm

I have gotten in the habit of using Ranch dressing as my condiment. Since I don't eat salads, it works well for me.
ascicles

Postby DogMa » March 8th, 2006, 5:13 pm

Funny, I refuse to use regular ketchup or barbecue sauce because they're almost pure sugar. For me, at least, sugar-free teriyaki sauce is a much better choice.

Maybe I'm less rigid about the program than some, but even with Medifast, I follow rules that make sense. My low-carb teriyaki sauce lists 0 calories, 0 fat and less than 1 gram of carb per tablespoon, thus making it (at least to me) better for me than ketchup and more compatible with the Medifast program. Even the Carb Options brand has 5 calories, 0.5g fat and less than 1 gram carb per tablespoon. So how is it OK to have full-sugar ketchup or low-cal, low-carb salad dressing but not this? Doesn't make any logical sense to me. IMHO, Medifast can't list every single product on the market that is or isn't acceptable, so I have to use my own judgment.
Robin

203/130/130
DogMa

Postby sidrah » March 8th, 2006, 8:03 pm

DogMa wrote:Funny, I refuse to use regular ketchup or barbecue sauce because they're almost pure sugar. For me, at least, sugar-free teriyaki sauce is a much better choice.

Maybe I'm less rigid about the program than some, but even with Medifast, I follow rules that make sense. My low-carb teriyaki sauce lists 0 calories, 0 fat and less than 1 gram of carb per tablespoon, thus making it (at least to me) better for me than ketchup and more compatible with the Medifast program. Even the Carb Options brand has 5 calories, 0.5g fat and less than 1 gram carb per tablespoon. So how is it OK to have full-sugar ketchup or low-cal, low-carb salad dressing but not this? Doesn't make any logical sense to me. IMHO, Medifast can't list every single product on the market that is or isn't acceptable, so I have to use my own judgment.

I felt like I was reading my own response!! Spoooky :nana:
sidrah
Preferred member

Postby DogMa » March 10th, 2006, 4:30 pm

BTW, I was just rereading the Quick Start Guide, and it says 1 to 2 teaspoons of condiments such as ketchup, mustard and barbecue sauce is allowed. Emphasis is mine, of course.
Robin

203/130/130
DogMa

Postby ascicles » March 11th, 2006, 5:16 pm

I bought some of the Carb-Options teriyaki sauce today. I wasn't a very big fan of it at first, but I decided to add about a half-packet of splenda to a tbsp of the sauce, and it was GREAT. It reminded me of my favorite sweet teriyaki sauce.

Plus, this seems to be better than ketchup or BBQ sauce...so I have a feeling this will be my normal dipping sauce :)
ascicles

Return to Weight Loss