Super Size Me

Introduce yourself to the forum.
(Guests Welcome)

Super Size Me

Postby Dean0408 » March 21st, 2005, 9:38 am

Heidi and I happened to catch that documentary movie called "Super Size Me" on Showtime recently. Has anyone else seen it?

Wow! What an eye opener......if nothing else, it sure makes it easier to drive on past the "Golden Arches".

It is in the video stores for rental as well. I highly recommend it as a motivational tool to help you avoid fast food cravings.

Check it out and let me know what you think.

Dean
Dean0408
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby raederle » March 21st, 2005, 10:05 am

I saw SuperSize me when it came out in theaters a while back, and it horrified me for weeks! I haven't even thought about going to McDonald's (or any other FF chain) since! But the other day my husband told me he'd heard about some guy who decided to put himself on the same McD's-only eating plan but while also exercising a lot, to see what would happen. I wouldn't call this a rigorous scientific exercise, but the anecdotal results are interesting... This is from the Edmonton Sun, which I post in the interest of debate for debate's sake! :mrgreen:

Undersize me!

EDMONTON SUN | February 18, 2005 | AJAY BHARDWA

Les Sayer hasn't cheated on his McDonald's-only diet. Not an apple, an orange, a cantaloupe or grapes in 17 days. Sayer, a teacher at NorQuest College and Metro Continuing Education, wanted to drive home the point to students that Morgan Spurlock's documentary, Supersize Me, was an opinion piece. He said he could eat McDonald's food for a month and lose weight, not gain it.

"The main reason for doing this is because my students thought (Supersize Me) was an objective piece," the 39-year-old Sayer said yesterday.

Sixteen days into the diet, Sayer says he's lost 13 pounds - he's down to 222 pounds from his 235 - and his blood pressure has dropped to 134/73 from 136/88.

His secret? One hour in the gym doing cardiovascular exercise and weight training five to six times weekly.

"The big surprise for me was the blood pressure."

Sayer has steadily chowed down on Big Macs, Bacon and Egg McMuffins and Chicken McNuggets.

"The magic here is in the exercise," he said. "The average Joe doesn't exercise."

Sayer said he's not being paid by McDonald's nor is he affiliated with the fast-food giant. But he said he has caught a lot of flak for taking on the diet.

"Some people are upset because they think I'm pandering to a huge, large corporation," he said.

"It's not McDonald's food that's unhealthy. It's the lifestyle you lead."

Sayer said the main message is that you should eat and enjoy a variety of foods as long as you exercise.

Ruth West, a registered dietitian at the Grey Nuns Hospital, said people who want to lose weight should be eating a variety of foods to benefit from all nutrients.

West said Sayer is likely expending more energy than he's consuming.
Last edited by raederle on March 21st, 2005, 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
raederle

5'5"
High weight = 180
Reached goal (125) 3/27/05
New goal: 130
I'll reach it again, one day at a time
raederle
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Postby Unca_Tim » March 21st, 2005, 10:08 am

Wonder who sponsered him?....:)

.......and how many FF junkies are on a rigorous exercise program?
Unca
"Failure is a choice"
~From a dream~
Unca_Tim
Site Admin

Postby raederle » March 21st, 2005, 10:10 am

Heh heh-- I wondered, too! I edited my post to include a better article that mentions he wasn't paid by McD's.... Suuuuure! ;)
raederle

5'5"
High weight = 180
raederle

Postby Dean0408 » March 21st, 2005, 10:33 am

Well, if we just take a look at some of the issues brought up in the documentary such as caloric content and a rise in cholesterol levels......it still makes you think.

Of course burning off the calories through a tough work out regimen may offset weight gain, however in the real world, not many people would do that.

Don't get me wrong.......I LOVE McDonald's food..........Super Size Me just helped me to mentally avoid the craving.
Dean0408
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby doglover » March 21st, 2005, 1:09 pm

My husband and I saw Supersize Me a couple weeks back and it really changed us too. I have said on this forum before that the biggest thing we took out of it was how sluggish and depressed he was and then seemed to be lifted after he ate. UGH. I don't want my emotions to be controled by food any more!
Donna
Donna - frequent flyer to FL!
Feb 7, 2005 start date
176/150/150 - made it in 9 weeks! 26 lbs off!
150/139.5/140 - made it in 8 1/2 more weeks! 36.5 lbs off!
144/143/135 - new and last goal! Maintaining for now in 2006
doglover
Preferred Member - #30 Club

Postby kassilou » March 21st, 2005, 1:17 pm

I think the movie just proves the point that all things should be done in moderation. If you exercise excessively, that's unhealthy. If you only eat one food, that's unhealthy. The key for me is balance...portion control... eating when actually hungry... getting my body moving daily. These are things I am slowly learning while on MF.
To lengthen thy life, lessen thy meals.
~Ben Franklin
kassilou
Preferred Member - 80# Club

Postby Kauket » March 21st, 2005, 3:54 pm

I've heard of another experiement where the person ate on the healthier side of McD's and lost weight too. I agree that ff isn't great for you though. :( Poor McD's french fries.. their stock has been plummeting since I went on this diet. :)
Began 2/16/05
253/228/??
Kauket
Regular Member - #20 Club

Postby raederle » March 21st, 2005, 5:39 pm

Heh heh... yep, those fries are *goooood*! When we all get to maintenance, I have a great recipe for baked spicy sweet potato "fries" that's out of this world-- almost as good as McD's!

Kass, I think you hit the nail on the head; moderation is key. Most people can get by with having the occasional burger if they otherwise eat well and stay active... flip side, anyone can tank their health by eating only high-fat, high-carb foods and sitting on their butts all day. I'd rather not have to work out for 2 hours a day to offset a nasty fast food habit, so I'll stick to moderate exercise and sensible MF eating... :mrgreen:
raederle

5'5"
High weight = 180
raederle

Return to Come on in.