stretch marks

Introduce yourself to the forum.
(Guests Welcome)

stretch marks

Postby lalamode26 » February 16th, 2005, 9:14 am

I'm on my 4th week of MF. I'm stuck - I'm getting all these stretch marks. I'm using coco butter, but it's not going away? Does :cry: anyone have a resolution for this?

Lala
started 01/12/05
174/158/140
lalamode26
Regular Member - #10 Club

Postby raederle » February 16th, 2005, 9:37 am

I sympathize, lala, for what it's worth! I'm 30, have never had kids, but I have stretch marks, too, from just plain ol' being overweight for so long. If you find a solution, I'd love to know! Moisturizing a lot might help, as you're doing, and maybe products with alphahydroxy to exfoliate would help a bit, but I bet that if there were a miracle cure out there, we'd have heard of it!

One thing that 24K and some others were discussing yesterday was how soy seems to be generally helping our skin look better. Perhaps with a more extended use of soy in your diet over time...? Can't hurt, it seems!

Try and remember, though-- being skinny with stretch marks is MUCh better than being fat without 'em, right??? ;)
raederle

5'5"
High weight = 180
Reached goal (125) 3/27/05
New goal: 130
I'll reach it again, one day at a time
raederle
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Postby junglejane » February 16th, 2005, 9:40 am

I'm sorry I can't offer any insight to the stretchmark issue. After 4 babies, I kind of took ownership of mine. If you get a solution I would be thrilled to hear what it is! Hope someone has some advice to offer. Anyway, nice to meet you, I am Jane and just ended my first week. :)
junglejane
Regular Member - #20 Club

Postby monkeymom » February 16th, 2005, 9:47 am

I can't offer any solutions either lala, sorry. I remember years ago my doctor telling me that "it's all in the genes" as to whether or not people get stretch marks. I didn't get a single stretch mark through 4 preganancies. My daughters must not have gotten my genes though, and they both have stretch marks and really aren't overweight.......go figure. But my oldest daughter did use some of the stretch mark creme that is on the market for use during pregnancy, and it did seem to help some. I don't recall the name, but I do know that we got it at a place that specializes in homopathic and herbal supplements.
Vicki
255 - 1/29/08
monkeymom

Postby JuliaMejia » February 16th, 2005, 10:30 am

Hey La la I even had twins at 5'1" and 8 pounder and a 10 pounder. I have tons of stretch marks from here to there! I think it is somewhere in the genes that decides if you're gonna get em. I used to rub vitamin e with my first baby, but it did not really make a difference!

Are you getting new stretch marks? And are you losing weight? If the answer is yes that you are losing maybe the stretch marks are not being filled in with fat and they have just changed in appearance...

Now there is NOTHING that takes them away. They will fade overtime to a silvery color and become less itchy. That's a fact of nature. Good luck with yours! May they fade quickly! :roll:
May 1st 2006...Highest Weight 265...

Started Medifast December 8th, 06 Weight = 236.8 :(

JuliaMejia
Trusted Member - #10 Club

Postby Sylvia » February 16th, 2005, 10:36 am

I got minor ones with the first baby, major ones with the second and a few others from just gaining weight. They fade over time but never go away completely.

I know someone who got rid of hers through a tummy tuck but I'm simply not going there so I've decided to live with them.
Sylvia
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby raederle » February 16th, 2005, 10:36 am

Do guys get stretch marks???

Don't get me wrong; I love guys. Especially "our" guys here! But, man, gals have to deal with water fluctuations during their TOMs, slower weight loss, slower metabolisms, being shorter to start with, having baby weight (sometimes) to deal with, boob shrinkage during weight loss (to add insult to injury), having to sit down to pee 400 times a day, and now-- stretch marks?!?!? :shock:

How do we do it, girls??!?!!! We must be AMAZING!!!! :mrgreen:
raederle

5'5"
High weight = 180
raederle

Postby Sylvia » February 16th, 2005, 10:42 am

Guy get stretch marks too. I had this boyfriend in college who got really into weight lifting and got really huge (with muscle, not fat). He was literally popping out of his skin and started to get stretch marks on his arms, shoulders, etc. It was quite unattractive and not confined to areas typically under cover. So I think the answer is that guys get them too but women care about them more...
Sylvia
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby raederle » February 16th, 2005, 11:21 am

Well, that's *one* less thing I have to complain about, then! :mrgreen:
raederle

5'5"
High weight = 180
raederle

Postby explorthis » February 16th, 2005, 12:06 pm

Try and remember, though-- being skinny with stretch marks is MUCh better than being fat without 'em, right???

AAAAAAAAMEN!!!

Do guys get stretch marks???

Yup. Got ‘em, same places as the girls do. Part of life.

-Mike
Was 337/223 is goal (about 40 to go)
explorthis
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Postby Nancy » February 16th, 2005, 10:09 pm

Thanks, Mike - I was gonna chime in on this one, too - my brother got them when he was about ten years old, in the love handle area.

I've seen them on other men, too. Not gonna tell ya who or how many men but I’ve seen ‘em…

Stretch marks can come during puberty...zitz and stretchies...

Stretch marks do fade.

Suntans may make them seem less obvious initially but they are there and they show up even more with additional tanning...

I kinda consider stretch marks in the same category as gray hairs - I worked really hard to earn them - they are a sign of the times, they come with the territory, occupational hazards. Not gonna stress over stretch marks – not gonna have a body lift or have my stretchies erased. I’ve been thru puberty once and I do not care to relive that time of my life again – or pregnancy either!
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club

Postby lalamode26 » February 17th, 2005, 8:05 am

I believe it IS BETTER TO HAVE STRETCH MARKS WHILE LOSING WEIGHT vs, my unhealthy weight before! Double AMEN to that!

I'm getting it all over my rear, my hip area, my pelvic area, under my arms-near the armpit area. I'm dropping weight from MF, however gaining all these stretch marks, worry me!

My husband has strecth marks, but he is pale in those areas and I have a natural looking tan type of skin, so it's more noticeable.

We did see at Walmart had a pregnancy stretch mark lotion by Palmers. I bought it and I will let you know if it works? *crossing fingers* I need ANYTHING!!!!

I haven't had kids YET,but we'd like to in the near future. I'm just concerned about the weight loss stretch marks, but if anyone hears of another type of product, chime me in!!!!

Desperately seeking stretch mark relief,
LALA :roll:

started 01/12/05
174/158/140
lalamode26
Regular Member - #10 Club

Postby explorthis » February 17th, 2005, 8:19 am

We did see at Walmart had a pregnancy stretch mark lotion by Palmers

I can venture a guess, that there is no "potion or lotion" that works magic. If there was, it would be on the primetime news, and someone would be making a gazillion dollars.

Like Nancy said,

sign of the times, they come with the territory, occupational hazards. Not gonna stress over stretch marks

I agree totally. I have some, I have some skin, but I FEEL LIKE A MILLION BUCKS.

-Mike
Was 337/223 is goal (about 40 to go)
explorthis

Postby Nancy » February 17th, 2005, 8:29 am

la la ~

I'm wondering if the stretch marks have been there all this time and they are just now beginning to be noticeable as your weight is reducing. Could that be the issue? Typically stretch marks come because skin is s-t-r-e-t-c-h-ing, not shrinking.

So as your weight is reducing and water is flushing out your body, your skin is reducing along with you but it responds more slowly, thus making the stretchies appear more noticeable...

Just a thought.
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy

Ack I gottem

Postby Joan Roman » February 17th, 2005, 12:16 pm

Well stetch marks! Yep got them too! I have never been pregnant either both my daughters are adopted. I got my stretchmarks from gaining weight by overeating! Having lost more than half my body weight at this time...I do see them more than when I was 296. The only thing that makes excess skin and stretchmarks any better is exersize. At least that is all I found that works. Building up more muscle takes up more space! I am happy with some improvement in the last few years using wieght training....and I enjoy it.

Joan
Joan Roman
Trusted Member

Next

Return to Come on in.