Stir Fry?

Add your favorite recipes.

Postby falisamarie » January 24th, 2006, 11:47 am

Patti- I hope you did not take what I said wrong. Those are just some rules I set for myself because I have a huge fear that if I stray at all and just have "a little this" or "a little that" that because I am not a strong person it will lead to more and more and before I know it I will be back to my old eating habits.

Lisa
Start date 1/15/06
falisamarie
Preferred Member - #100 Club
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Postby Guest » January 24th, 2006, 12:10 pm

Hey Lisa.....didn't take it anyway except as informational :-P I can't follow the guidelines to the tee when it comes to dealing with fish. I am from South Louisiana, if it ain't floured, battered and deep fried....it ain't worth eating. So eating fish panfried with a bit of olive oil is a big accomplishment for me. I am certainly not going to "sweat the small stuff", and to me a few tablespoons of olive oil dispersed throughout the week isn't anything for me to sweat over. Besides, by next week I will probably be tired of it.

I have to say, I admire your resolve and ability to stay on track....to me that is willpower.

Hang in their gal!

Postby Nancy » January 24th, 2006, 12:23 pm

Dr. Andersen and Dr. Bob Cochran from the Health Institute (part of our certification training) recommends that if a person chooses to use oil, Canola or olive oil are the best choices. If a fat is a solid at room temperature, it’s not good for us – butter, margarine, meat fat, etc.

Carbs and proteins each have 4 calories per gram, fats have about 9 calories per gram.

Meal plans that are high in fats are associated with certain diseases that none of us want to get…

We want to limit our intake of fats for improved health, it is best to not cook with fats but to use the canola or olive oil for flavor. Fats give us a sense of fullness, they help to transport fat soluble vitamins and provide energy for us but we need just a little – many Americans today get over 40% of their daily caloric intake from fat…

I would not recommend cooking with fat. It changes its molecular properties. We “stir-fry” thin-sliced onion and mushrooms by using a small mount of bouillon or lite soy sauce in a dry pan.

Some people may have gotten the idea that they could use 1-2 TABLEspoons of oil by misreading the guidelines in the Quick Start Booklet on page 5 that says, “You may use 1-2 tablespoons of Medifast dressing or any low fat and low carb dressing.”
The Medifast Dressing (which is currently NOT available) was a dry powder, mixed with water, vinegar and had an oil option to add 1 teaspoon of canola oil which also added 30 calories to the dressing. Each packet made two servings. So if a person made and used 2 tablespoons of the Medifast Salad Dressing, it added between 30-45 calories and 3 grams of carbohydrates to their daily meal plan.

We eat salmon a couple times a week.

Every time a person begins to add a dab of Cool Whip, another serving of Jell-O, just a drizzle of salad dressing, a plop extra of salsa, a glug of barbecue sauce, a pinch of this…just remember: each of those pinches and glugs contain calories, carbohydrates and eventually those extras mount up to affect the balance of our program.

It was all the little extra bites that got me into foody trouble to begin with. One of the things that appeals to many of us is the simplicity and ease of the program, the fact that one need not be a chef to make this work. It is ideal for busy people and the variety of Medifast products makes it easier to stick with the program. I guess my tongue and its budettes never really tire of the taste of Medifast.

Hair loss: You will need to do a search. I've written a lot about it in previous posts. The short version: I was on the complete program, I did experience hair loss. My maternal great-Granny, my grandma and my mother all had/have very fine textured thin hair. My Momma is nearly bald. I have mousy fine textured hair and it thinned out considerably when I was on the Diet Center Program (all three times) and also on Wt Loss Clinic and Jenny's so I assumed it would occur again. And when it did, I didn't freak about it. It grows back. I wear my hair butched anyway so I just consider it a blessing that I don't have to mess with perms, dyes, mousse, hair rollers, curling and flat irons or ratting and hair spray! I take an Omega 3 Fish oil capsule and Oil of Evening Primrose capsule. Others take flaxseed caps. I would not recommend the flaxseed oil but rather the caps as the calorie difference is tremendous!
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club

Previous

Return to Lean Cuisine