Snowcones Anyone?

Add your favorite recipes.

Snowcones Anyone?

Postby Dean0408 » March 20th, 2005, 9:55 am

Remember when you were a kid on a warm summer day and you just had to have a snow cone? MMMMMMMM.......those things sure were refreshing.......and tasted great!

Last night I had a craving for a sweet treat in between my MF meal times. I went to the shelf where my wife Heidi had stored 12 different flavors of Da Vinci syrup and picked out the cherry flavor. Then I put some ice in the blender, and pulsed it until the ice was just about the consistency of shaved ice.

I scooped the ice into a small bowl and topped it with the Cherry flavor Da Vinci syrup. Then I sat in front of the fireplace, eating my Snowcone in a bowl with a small spoon while watching a movie on TV.

Since there were zero carbs or calories in this treat, couple with the extra water from the ice, it was a double bonus. It gave me a sweet treat that did not cheat the MF plan, plus it gave me a little extra water intake.

Needless to say, when Heidi saw me eating my delicious snack, she immediately made herself a Raspberry snowcone in a bowl.

With all the different flavors offered by Da Vinci, the snowcone variety is endless. Maybe I will try Root Beer next.

For a quick treat ....give it a try, let me know what you think.

Dean
Dean0408
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby Unca_Tim » March 20th, 2005, 11:21 am

Great idea Dean,
This one's gonna be popular with summer coming...
:eat:
Unca
"Failure is a choice"
~From a dream~
Unca_Tim
Site Admin

Postby raederle » March 20th, 2005, 12:23 pm

Dean-- that's an awesome idea! Thanks for posting it (I have a stash of blueberry syrup that's now calling my name...) and congrats on redirecting your craving toward a legal treat! :mrgreen:
raederle

5'5"
High weight = 180
Reached goal (125) 3/27/05
New goal: 130
I'll reach it again, one day at a time
raederle
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Postby Nancy » March 21st, 2005, 3:14 pm

Dean ~

What a crack up :hatch: eating a SNOWcone in front of the FIREPLACE!!!

What a cool idea! Thanks for sharing - hey summer will be so much more fun and skinny now with Dean's Famous Snowcone recipe in hand!
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club

Postby Dean0408 » March 22nd, 2005, 12:08 pm

LOL Nancy.....

Yep, that was kind of weird.......a snowcone in front of the fireplace! :shock:

To make up for it, I will have to come up with a flavored hot chocolate recipe that we can drink while sitting in the sun this summer getting a tan.

....hehe

Dean
Dean0408

Postby Nancy » March 22nd, 2005, 2:06 pm

The Hot Cocoa is great with a cinnamon stick for a swizzle stir stick.

If you are serious about recycling, once the hot cocoa is drained from your steaming mug, you can pretend the soggy cinnamon stick is a stogy or use it as a substitute and give up smoking along with your weight loss program! :smoke:

Glad to have ya aboard, Dean. We need more men – we need your perspective on weight loss and maintenance, too. We know there are a lot of guys out there suffering from Dunlop Disease that need to Medifast right along with us - summer is coming and we wanna be looking at fine shirtless specimens!
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy

Postby dlr2424 » April 20th, 2005, 4:17 pm

Okay My Buddy Dean........would you please ask that most precious wife of yours...Heidi...her secret to making snowcones :?: ?....does she use a blender ?.....I bought a Rival ice shaver today and for some reason I wasn't impressed...... :uhuh: .....I used Davinci rasberry......I think it's something i'm doing......and since you put that snowcone idea into my head i've been longing for them ....(much like longing for a medical expense.... ;) )....can't wait for your reply........... :D
Donna...dlr2424

There's nothing to great that God won't provide me the strength to endure...all I need to do is ask Him
dlr2424
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby bikipatra » April 20th, 2005, 4:29 pm

Donna, Dean posted quite clearly that he used a blender, pulsing til the ice was right.
Restart Date: January 1, 2010
12/31/09 226.8
226.8/218/135
bikipatra
Preferred Member - #100 Club
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Postby want2Bthin » April 20th, 2005, 7:27 pm

Donna-
I thought it was a great question. :D :mrgreen: :lol:

Angelia
want2Bthin

Postby dlr2424 » April 21st, 2005, 11:21 am

bikipatra wrote:Donna, Dean posted quite clearly that he used a blender, pulsing til the ice was right.

Biki....I know my good ol buddy Dean quite clearly posted that he used a blender...... :chef: ....however...I'm everso quite detailed.... :roll: ....and needed an exact...quite detailed lesson in becoming a Queen of Snowcone Making..... :dance: .....as it is a lucious acceptable treat that I'm failing at making..... :x ..........so HEIDI... :coach: ....come to my rescue.... :D
Donna...dlr2424
Last edited by dlr2424 on April 21st, 2005, 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

There's nothing to great that God won't provide me the strength to endure...all I need to do is ask Him
dlr2424

Postby Nancy » April 21st, 2005, 12:19 pm

Hullo there, Miss Donna ~

I was wondering about that Rival Ice Shaver ya got there - over the years I have often thought about getting one of them.

When our daughter Becky Jean was a little twerp, she :heart: loved snow cones. We gave her a Snoopy Snow Cone Maker when she was about 5.5 years old. She would sit on the picnic bench on our patio and grind away at ice cubes for hours.

We were able to locate some sugar free syrup in those long ago days and that little girl developed a :weightlift: strong right arm from shaving ice. Eventually the rotor blade became so dull it no longer shaved and her :tears: beloved Snoopy Snow Cone Maker took a ride to the dump.

I wonder if the Rival makes shave ice similar to what we had in Hawaii. It is not the same as the slushy ice of a real live snow cone; all together different in fact, unique and very special.

While you’re :whistle: waiting for Dean-oh and is sweet Heidi Girl to log on, maybe you can pretend you are an :ukulele: Island Girl having a shave ice!
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy

Postby TamiL » April 21st, 2005, 3:05 pm

Hey all
I have an ice shaver....for making my own "snow cones" and just a few weeks ago I came across SUGAR/CALORIE FREE snow cone syrup at walmart..in a blue rasberry and cherry flavor...they are SOOO GOOD!! I made them alot last summer too...with just the syrups or sugar free Crystal light!! and they really do "take the edge" off when you need something CRUNCHY to eat!! but beware...youll be VERY COLD and need to snuggle with someone afterwards...and youll have VERY BLUE OR VERY RED LIPS and teeth!! :D

Tami
ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE IF YOU BELEIVE!!!

Medifast RESTART 13 March 09
150/my goal weight is 130
TamiL
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Postby dlr2424 » April 21st, 2005, 3:13 pm

Nancy...........Hullo there Ms. FANTABULOUS.....xoxoxoxox...have those whispies started to imerge yet?... :redhead: ....you gorgeous human being you......... :hug: ....I can't say I was really feeling it for the Rival Snowcone maker.......wasn't what I remember a snowcone to taste like......... :sadblue: .....it took forever to make 1/4 cup worth....so maybe I need suggestions on a SUPER DUPER SNO CONE PRODUCER... :yay: .....I could buy a carnival type one for a measely ...... :hmmm: ......$800.00.......right....... :scratch: ...but where would I put it.... :?: ...the love of my life would really think I went off the deep end......... :nutz: ....so for now I will be open for suggestions on the various small kitchen appliances that will produce a scrumptous sno cone.......... :whistle:
Donna...dlr2424

dlr2424

Postby dlr2424 » April 21st, 2005, 3:20 pm

Tamil.........Tamil......Tamil.......I'm out the door now to Wally World.....please do tell me the name of your snowcone maker....does it work well?.....fast?......... :lightbeam: ...etc. and where did you purchase the palate pleaser?....... :D
Donna...dlr2424

dlr2424

Postby Dean0408 » April 21st, 2005, 4:23 pm

Donna..........Sorry I didn't see your original question sooner. Heidi never gets on the forum other than on weigh in day.

I did use the blender for the first couple.............then I got an ice shaver from Amazon when I was ordering some other things. The one I got is from a company called HawaiIce.

I really like it because you can put regular ice cubes in it. Some of the ice shavers require that you put water in one of their "molds" that they supply with the ice shaver. Using ice cubes, you never run out.

When we first ordered the DaVinci syrup, we ordered a case of assorted flavors. They threw in a pour top with the order. (whoopdy doo!). We use that to pour the syrup over the ice.

Hope you get to try these......they are actually pretty good. I like grape and orange the best. Those were always my favorite popsickles. Strawberry is good too. Heidi sometimes makes them with different flavors in different sections of the ice.

Have fun making them!

Dean
Dean0408

Next

Return to Lean Cuisine