Shaving issues...

Give us the skinny in the losers lounge.
(Anything off topic)

Shaving issues...

Postby Joelie » February 11th, 2007, 4:16 pm

weird...I know. But I'm having a really tough time with this lately and was wondering if anyone else has had the same problem. Image

I can't seem to get all the hair under my arms when I shave anymore! Image I can't stand one single little stubble left in my pits...drives me NUTS! I've tried new blade after new blade thinking that was the problem. But it's not. The problem is that my pits now cave in when I raise my arms to shave instead of poof out due to all the excess flub. Image

Anyone else? What the heck can I do other than waxing. I REFUSE to wax!

I fear tackling behind my knees once I decide to shave off the winter coat. Image

My apologies in advance to anyone feeling this is TMI. ;)
Joelie
Preferred Member - #110 Club

Postby VictoriousNat » February 11th, 2007, 4:50 pm

LOL Wow I never thought of post-pouf issues. Hmmm. I dunno. Since waxing is out....Laser???? - laser it and you won't have to bother after that. LOL.
Nat
Start 8/24/06
Lost 34lbs and over 30 Inches. Regained 9lbs. Down 4lbs on vacation in Jamaica - yeehaw!
Waiting for Doctor's clearance to restart MF.
VictoriousNat
Preferred Member - #30 Club

Postby katieb920 » February 11th, 2007, 4:53 pm

Have you ever thought about using lotion when you shave. I do actually wax my under arms. I will never go back to shaving. But My sister had the same problem and she decided to try lotion and it works for some odd reason.
Katie
katieb920
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Postby alpha femme » February 11th, 2007, 5:23 pm

well, even though i'm the goodlez blimp till, i do have this problem, and i workout a lot, so i'm all about the clean shave. you will have better results if you raise your arm only half way and reach in front of you; yeah, it makes it hard to see. you can also consider doing what i did; buy an electric mustache trimmer. the head is only about 1" across, so you can shave the concave area with barely any manipulation of skin. the draw back is that you'll have to shave a little more often, because the cut isn't as close.
alpha femme
Preferred member

Postby Joelie » February 11th, 2007, 5:38 pm

VictoriousNat wrote:LOL Wow I never thought of post-pouf issues. Hmmm. I dunno. Since waxing is out....Laser???? - laser it and you won't have to bother after that. LOL.

Hey...laser isn't such a bad idea! :)

katieb920 wrote:Have you ever thought about using lotion when you shave. I do actually wax my under arms. I will never go back to shaving. But My sister had the same problem and she decided to try lotion and it works for some odd reason.

Put lotion on before shaving? Or are you talking about the hair removal lotions?
If I wasn't such a chicken I'd do the whole wax thing. I was a total wax virgin until yesterday (had my brows done for the first time)...I was a little whimpy...I can't imagine ripping the stubble out from under my pits. OUCH!

alpha femme wrote:well, even though i'm the goodlez blimp till, i do have this problem, and i workout a lot, so i'm all about the clean shave. you will have better results if you raise your arm only half way and reach in front of you; yeah, it makes it hard to see. you can also consider doing what i did; buy an electric mustache trimmer. the head is only about 1" across, so you can shave the concave area with barely any manipulation of skin. the draw back is that you'll have to shave a little more often, because the cut isn't as close.

You are NOT a blimp! Image
Raising my arm half way. I'll try it! Hmmm...then I'll try the electric trimmer if that doesn't work. I shave every day anyway. :)

GREAT ideas! THANKS so much!
Joelie

Postby Unca_Tim » February 11th, 2007, 7:40 pm

Maybe your hairs are getting too skinny to shave?
:lol:
Unca
"Failure is a choice"
~From a dream~
Unca_Tim
Site Admin

Postby katieb920 » February 11th, 2007, 7:41 pm

Actually you should just use any type of body lotion. No soap no shaving cream. Just plain old lotion.

I have to say The first time I did the under arms with wax it hurt a little bit. But now it really does not hurt at all. Now I can go about 3-4 weeks with out waxing because it pulls from the roots.

Now a bikini wax I will not do. Now Thats got to hurt. :nonono:
Katie
katieb920

Postby Joelie » February 11th, 2007, 8:04 pm

Oh Unca! LMAO! Image

I'll try it Katie...THANKS!
3-4 weeks in between waxing?!?!?!? Now THAT sounds pretty cool! I'll have to see if I can brave it one of these days.
Joelie

Postby Amber » February 12th, 2007, 9:01 am

Vaniqa, God's gift to women!!!
It's a prescription cream that inhibits hair growth, a little pricey but painless and it is used sparingly. Do the research, it's a great product!
Last edited by Amber on February 12th, 2007, 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amber

Goal Met November 1, 2006
#44, 23 weeks
Amber
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby alpha femme » February 12th, 2007, 1:01 pm

waxing actually isn't that bad-- just go to a good salon. after you have it done a few times, the results are very long-lasting.
alpha femme
Preferred member

Postby Sojourner » February 12th, 2007, 3:27 pm

No razors. No lotions. No waxing. And no hair!

I use an electrical epilator. It's similar to waxing, in that the hair is removed from the root, but it is done electrically via a handheld electric-razor-like device. Plus, you can do this yourself, at home. It also removes the finest of hairs (not that I had fine hair when I began using this product...but I do now!).

I've been using this system for years (10?). The hair grows back much finer, and I can go for about a month between uses for my armpits (longer in the winter). Even better - I can go longer than 2 months for my legs...and I used to have to shave my legs EVERY day in the summer. The hair that returns becomes finer and finer, so that even when it's there, it's not as bad. Granted, this doesn't happen overnight, but even in the beginning it was SO much better than either shaving or waxing. It's also better for your skin than either of those methods, because it doesn't scrape/rip off the skin along with the hair. No more razor-burned armpits! Yay!

Personally, the initial discomfort (aka: pain) is well worth the end result, and, truth be told, I never really experienced much pain at all. I do have a pretty high pain threshold, but still...it's kind of like when you first started tweezing your brows - remember that? It hurt at first, but do you even feel it now? That's what the epilator is like for me. I really hardly even feel it anymore - and it certainly doesn't hurt.

Cost-wise, you have the initial output of anywhere from $30 - $100, but how many wax appts. does that entail? It's SO worth it, on every level.
(LOL, I sound like an advertisement!!)
~*~*~*Sojourner*~*~*~

Shake it gone, babeee!!!
Sojourner
Preferred member

Postby bikipatra » February 12th, 2007, 4:21 pm

This isn't that cruel torture device called the Epilady, is it?
Restart Date: January 1, 2010
12/31/09 226.8
226.8/218/135
bikipatra
Preferred Member - #100 Club
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Postby Sojourner » February 12th, 2007, 4:30 pm

Yeah...the EpiLady is one brand of epilator...it sounds as though you have had a less-than-pleasant experience? Torture device? C'mon!

Whatever. I love it - and my silky smooth pits and legs, too!
~*~*~*Sojourner*~*~*~

Shake it gone, babeee!!!
Sojourner
Preferred member

Postby Joelie » February 12th, 2007, 6:53 pm

WOW! Some really great advise from you all. THANKS so much!

Looks like I have some research to do. ;)
Joelie

Postby katieb920 » February 12th, 2007, 7:43 pm

Have to tell you a funny story. My sister had beautiful curly long hair. One day she was using her epilady. Well all of the sudden it stopped working. Well she was shaking it. Well lets just say she was shaking it to close to her hair. And guess what it turned on and tangled all of her hair. Lets just say she had to get a hair cut up to her ears. I was the evil sister because I was lauging my behind off.
Katie
katieb920

Next

Return to What's Shakin'