Rude awakening...and I do mean RUDE!

Post your weight loss successes or failures here...:)

Rude awakening...and I do mean RUDE!

Postby heres2me » June 12th, 2008, 12:30 pm

Hello everyone!

Yesterday I had a real rude awakening. I have been going through a battery of tests to determine whether or not I have breast cancer. Now my family doctor doesn't weigh me, so when I went to the oncologist yesterday I was horrified. A year or so ago, after several months of medifast (and I don't know what my starting weight was, but I think about 245), I was 215 lbs. Then I slowly drifted away...back to my old eating habits. Anyway, after struggling to get back on the program for the last several months, I weighed in at whopping 258 lbs yesterday! My highest weight EVER!!! As my daughter would say "holy crap" (and I don't mean to offend anyone). My BP was up and I have this breast cancer issue to deal with. I thought I was going to lose it right there on the spot. Suddenly the harsh reality hit me like a ton of bricks. Oh, and my cholesterol is also way up. Isn't it amazing how quickly you can slip back into your old routine.

Today, I'm back on the plan...and I mean business.

So, please help me keep it real. And, can someone tell me about the Sunday weigh-in or whatever that is. I need to face the scale at least once a week.
heres2me

Postby DogMa » June 12th, 2008, 1:21 pm

Welcome back. While a lot of us, including myself, came to the program to LOOK better, doing it for your health and to FEEL better is a much better reason, IMHO. Nearly two years after reaching maintenance, I am completely off cholesterol drugs, with very normal cholesterol, low triglycerides, etc. Normal blood pressure, the works. My doc is very happy with my most recent blood work, and so am I. And believe me, if I can do this, so can you.

The weigh-ins are simple. There's an area on the site called "Roll Call." Just go there every week (a new thread is started there each Sunday with the date, but some people weigh in later in the week, depending on what day they started and what day they've designated as their offical weigh-in day) and post a reply to the thread with how you've done that week. And other folks will show up to cheer you on (or console you if you have a bad week).

It doesn't seem to be frequented as much as it used to, though, so if you really need something, you're better off posting a new thread elsewhere (like right here where you posted this), or keeping a journal in the My Journal section. The rules on journals are posted in that area; pretty much just one thread per member, and name it whatever your user name is, in this case heres2me.
Robin

203/130/130
Reached goal in August 2006
Added BodyBugg in May 2009
New ticker: 136.6/123.2/130
DogMa
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby Mike » June 12th, 2008, 7:26 pm

Hi there. I have to say it is definitely not the greatest thing to see, but gratefully, you are here.

So, lets get this thing going for ya. You know you can do this, ya just gotta get past those things that have been keeping you from it in the past.

We are here for you.

(give us a call).

;)
Pre WLS 460
Low after WLS 300
Start of MF 350
Previous MF low 280
Restart MF 330

I have to be careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business.
Mike
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby heres2me » June 13th, 2008, 8:17 am

Thanks Robin and Mike. I had to have a really long talk with my husband about all of this morning. He is overweight, too, but his BP, Cholesterol, etc. are all in check. We are newlyweds (married in December 07). I love to cook for him and he really enjoys eating out. He can eat like a horse. I can eat like a bird and gain weight. It seems so unfair. He's always telling me to eat b/c I rarely sit down and eat unless we're out. But I manage to get my calories in by nibbling or having wine or whatever. So, now I'm here. Praying for some help and trying to get it to click. I told my hubby that I can't continue to overlook my weight problem. He wanted to go out to eat tonight and I just can't do that right now. Too tempting. Anyway, enough of that.

Today I had MF eggs for bkfst. I plan to have a shake, soup, pudding, Salmon and some veggie and then a shake tonight. I feel really crappy today. I guess it's sugar withdrawal. My head is pounding.

Evenings used to be the toughest, and I don't think that has changed. Any suggestions on lean and greens or other things that have worked for you?
heres2me

Postby DogMa » June 13th, 2008, 8:25 am

Sorry about the hubby issue. With him, too, I'd definitely stress the health aspect. I'm sure he finds you beautiful as is, but he should be on board with you trying to improve your health.

As for evenings ... I worked nights most of the time I was on the plan, so it wasn't much of an issue for me. But I also made sure to have something for my L&G that I really liked, so I'd look forward to it and not feel deprived. And I'd save pudding or oatmeal for my last meal (after dinner and before bed), so I'd have a nice, sweet, comforting treat before bed. Or hot cocoa sometimes, if I wasn't hungry.
Robin

203/130/130
DogMa

Postby heres2me » June 13th, 2008, 8:38 am

I've been reading alot of posts on various forums. It seems like the more I read, the more confused I get.

So, how many snacks (like crackers) can we have. And, we can have two fast soups or boullion right?

I'm thinking about cutting out the bars; they seem too high in carbs. Your thoughts, DogMa?

And finally, what's the rule on iced tea. I live on it and I use splenda or sweet-n-low. Is that okay?
heres2me

Postby DogMa » June 13th, 2008, 8:59 am

The plan has changed so much since I was on it, I'll leave those first questions to someone else, like Mike. It was one snack a day at that time. Don't know about the fast soups because I never ate 'em.

Tea's OK, but I think they say to limit it to three caffeinated drinks a day, which would include tea. The rest should really be water. Lots and lots of water. So much water that your trips back and forth to the bathroom could be counted as cardio. LOL

The bars ARE higher in carbs, which is one reason you're supposed to limit them to one a day. Are you having trouble losing? If yes, I'd try cutting out the bar. But if not, go ahead and enjoy 'em. I was always happy to have something to chew, plus it was nice to have something I could keep in my purse or eat without having to prepare it. Although at some point along the way they became too sweet-tasting for me. But if you enjoy them and are losing, I'd stick with them. (I also objected to the high fructose corn syrup in them, but it's my understanding that the bars no longer contain that.)
Robin

203/130/130
DogMa

Postby Mike » June 13th, 2008, 11:44 pm

One snack a day.

3 caffeinated drinks a day

64 oz untreated, unflavored, pure water a day

Bars are higher in carbs.... so some do have a shake instead.

Have a wonderful tomorrow.

;)
Pre WLS 460
Low after WLS 300
Start of MF 350
Previous MF low 280
Restart MF 330

I have to be careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business.
Mike
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Return to The Weight Room