Regular vs. Transition shakes

All that hard work and now what? Let's talk about how to keep those pounds off...

Regular vs. Transition shakes

Postby Diet Diva » June 22nd, 2005, 4:10 pm

Hi folks,

OK, I know I'm a bit ahead of the game, and I'm not quite ready to transition but am wanting to prepare for when I do get there... I've read about how it's suggested that you have 3 medifast products a day to maintain, (once you've gone thru the actual 'maintenance' program.) So I'm wondering, when they talk about having shakes, do they mean the regular medifast 55's or are they referring to the maintenance shakes that are highter carb, fat, and calories.
Are any of you using the maintenance shakes? What are your thoughts, or what seems to work for you?

I guess at this point it's still a bit fuzzy as to what 3 products to use during the permanent maintenance. Are the mfast 55's only to lose weight, or can they ever be used as a regular snack one you get to your goal? Or can you mix and match between the two?

Thanks for the help.

Diet Diva
Diet Diva
Trusted Member - #90 Club

Postby dlr2424 » June 25th, 2005, 10:12 am

Diet Diva...... :D .....great question....... :hmmm: ........although I don't have the answer...... :huh: ........however I do know that Nancy uses the regular supplements......oatmeal...chai....shakes on her maintenance plan if that's of any help................for me I will probably stick with the regular supplements as well
donna....dlr2424

There's nothing to great that God won't provide me the strength to endure...all I need to do is ask Him
dlr2424
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby Nancy » July 15th, 2005, 9:20 am

Dear Diet Diva ~

Sorry I didn't see your question here. Donna is correct-a-mundo. I do use the regular 55 shakes. On occasion I use the 70 shakes. Usually the Chocolate Women's Health or the RTDs (55's) plus Chai Latte & French Vanilla Oatmeal.

Personally, I have only ONE client that uses the Take Shape Shakes and he never used Medifast for weight loss, he uses it just because he has IBS and the soy protein provided the nutritional intervention to help him. The Take Shape shakes are perfect for his breakfast and mid-afternoon snack. He uses one other Medifast product packet a day. The three daily packets keep the IBS away.

For maintenane, folks usually use a combination of products- whatever their favorite choices are - some use a couple of shakes and a serving of oatmeal or two shakes and a bar a day plus two low fat/low cal regular meals and vegetables or fruit for snacks.

The BeSlim Plan keeps us trim and happy.
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club

Postby Sablebaby » July 15th, 2005, 12:18 pm

I have been thinking about this same subject and I'm not even the slightest bit close to maintenance. :D I really like the idea of keeping a few supplements in my diet as they are so filling, nutritious, convenient, and yummy! :tongue: I might try the maintenance shakes so they can boost my cal requirement when that time comes. I don't like meal planning so if I only had 2 meals that I would have to prepare and "worry about" I might do very well.

I can't wait! :mrgreen:
Heather
Sablebaby
Trusted Member

Postby Nancy » July 15th, 2005, 12:36 pm

You are on your way, SableBaby!
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy

Postby Guest » August 18th, 2005, 4:43 am

When in maintenance do you have to have the shakes or can it be any suppliment? Do you have to be on a "Low Carb diet" or is it what works best for you. I have a long way to go but was wondering.
There seems to be more food commercials than usual.....Also watched a infomercial for magic bullet. I got one last year because it looked great this time I was focusing on the food this time!!!

Postby Nancy » August 18th, 2005, 8:01 am

:shock: Boy, howdy! There ARE a lot of food-oriented TV and radio commercials!

It is amazing how we become aware of them when we are trying to make changes in our lifestyle, eh? :lol:

Ignore their lies! :twisted: :twisted:

During maintenance, you may use any of the Medifast meal replacements that you want to - any combination is fine. It is really personal preference. I happen to love the oatmeal - I like warm or hot things better than cold things. I have 1-2 servings of Medifast oatmeal every day. I'm a member of Menopause Manor (I'll be 57 in two months) and I like the Women's Health shakes - they have black cohosh, chaste tree berry, and echinacea purpurea that seem to help me with my "unannounced personal summers" (okay, Folks - I have hot flashes!). They have 20 more calories than the 55's, are bit sweeter (2 more grams of sugar) and the Super CitriMax seems make the shake stick with me a little longer. (less chances of me cruisin' the cupboards) :lol: It also has pycnogenol and co-enzyme Q10. :cheers:

I use the Take Shape shakes only once in a while. They are rich and creamy and higher in calories. The Take Shape shakes are a good source of nutrition and ideal for people who do not have weight issues - like for busy people who want a quick but nutritious snack, for an older person who has difficulty preparing meals for one or for a youngster. They are super mixed in the blender with a piece of fruit for a quick nutritious smoothy - good for a teenager who :snooze: sleeps late and is in a hurry to catch their ride to school.

As the BeSlim Philosophy teaches us, the important things for weight maintenance include eating breakfast every single day - have a low sugar small meal within the first hour of getting up to start your metabolism off right - bagels, waffles, Pop Tarts, Sugar Pops and Snaps, etc. are way too carby=sugary. A soft-boiled/hard-boiled/poached egg and a whole grain slice of toast or half of a bagel with a small piece of low fat cheese or some home cooked oats is a great way to start the day but how many of us have the time on work days to prepare that? :whistle:

We all want to sleep as long as we can or we hear the traffic report and discover we need to leave 15 minutes earlier or the baby barfs on our suit and we have to start over with Plan B for our outfit and day care adventures - a serving of Medifast oatmeal or a shake look real good!

It is important to have a daily food plan before the day begins - prevent failure. Have your food prepared so you don't grab something :twisted: and if you have a big foody event on the weekend, during the week stick to lower calorie foods to compensate for the weekend pizza.

We need to continue to eat every three hours and to choose foods that are low in fat, sugar, carbohydrates and calories. Remember, we need a balance of protein AND carbs - just about a one to one ratio of both protein to carbs (maximum of 1:2). Eat 5 or 6 times a day. Drink plenty of water.

Moderately exercise most every day and monitor our weight frequently - we do not have to weigh daily, but as Dr. Andersen suggests, use a pair of great-fitting jeans (not those baggaloons that many people wear) and when the jeans get snug in the waistband, get back on the program for a few days.

Be accountable to some one - your :stroll: partner, your health practitioner, your Health Advisor - send a weight report each month to your HA. I love to have my clients check in with me so I can help them if they get into trouble before it gets too :redhead: BIG of a problem. It's a whole lot easier to go on the program for a month than it is to do it for 7 months! ;)
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy

Return to Maintenance