Regarding Mushrooms...

Questions/Comments about Weight loss Products.

Regarding Mushrooms...

Postby ascicles » March 20th, 2006, 9:52 am

While I was looking through the protocol, I was curious about mushrooms, since it only mentions them to be used sparingly on salads. As a huge mushroom fan, I was curious about how I should use them when cooked. Here is the answer I received (the part about cucumbers is from another question I asked).

I know that there is a lot of debate about this issue, so I thought I would bring it to the attention of everyone. This is great news for me, because I am a HUGE mushroom fan. I could be happy eating them as my "green" every night.

Derek,
Hi, The recommendation about using mushrooms sparingly is an old recommendation. You can use them as your 1 1/2 cups cooked vegetables. If you are using them on your salad is when we suggest using them sparingly. You can also use cucumbers as your "green" part of your lean and green meal. The cucumber would be 1 1/2 cups raw. I hope this information helps and if you have any further questions please let me know. Have a great day!

~~Amy
ascicles
Preferred Member - #110 Club

Postby DogMa » March 20th, 2006, 9:57 am

That's great news! I know you've been struggling with the veggies.

I've had portobellos as my "green" before, despite the talk on here about using 'em sparingly. Mushrooms have hardly any calories or carbs, so I didn't really understand what could be so wrong about 'em. Same with cucumbers.
Robin

203/130/130
Reached goal in August 2006
Added BodyBugg in May 2009
New ticker: 136.6/123.2/130
DogMa
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby ascicles » March 20th, 2006, 10:03 am

DogMa wrote:That's great news! I know you've been struggling with the veggies.

Yeah, this is huge news for me. I can now eat mushrooms half of the time and cucumbers half of the time, and be perfectly happy. I was getting sick of cucumbers every single night.
ascicles

Postby Lauren » March 20th, 2006, 11:30 am

That is great news for you, Ascicles! Like Dogma, I also never understood the mushroom thing, and I've been using them as my green for months.

A mushroom treat I love: I often buy a big batch of raw white-button top mushrooms, put your desired amount into farberware (microwave safe bowl), add a couple teaspoons of low-sodium soy sauce, spray the bottom with PAM olive oil flavor, and drizzle a bit of water and pepper over the top, and then cover it with lid, put in microwave on the "fresh vegies" button (usually cooks for quite a few minutes), and then continue to let it simmer in its own juices for a while. I drain the "juice" and have a wonderful, tasty, flavorful treat!

FYI, that is the MOST work I will ever do for my food, so consider yourself lucky for getting a "recipe!" ha! Some recipe! hahah

Have fun!

Lauren
Lauren
Preferred Member - #170 Club
Preferred Member - #170 Club

Postby MusicalMomma » March 20th, 2006, 12:50 pm

Thanks for checking that out ascicles!!! My hubby was VERY disappointed that he couldn't have 1.5 cups cooked mushrooms as his green! Like you, he could eat that as his green every night. He will be thrilled! Again, thanks for looking into that and sharing it with us :)
MusicalMomma
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby Nicki » March 20th, 2006, 4:22 pm

Oh happy happy day!!!!! I've been switching back and forth between yellow squash and cabbage ... and now I put my beloved mushrooms in the rotation!! Thanks for the info. :D
Nicki
started 9/19/05

Nicki
Preferred Member - #120 Club

Postby FluffyNoMore » March 20th, 2006, 4:26 pm

That's good to know. I was eating them anyway...LOL! I just made an omelet with mushrooms and spinach and topped with diced tomatoes. It was good, although there was way more veggies than egg. The eggs basically let everything stick together and I ate a mushroom and spinach patty. LOL! But it was still good.
FluffyNoMore
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby ascicles » March 20th, 2006, 5:31 pm

I'm going to try an omelet this weekend. I have never tried to make one before, much less with only two eggs...but it's worth a shot.
ascicles

Postby Loribug » March 20th, 2006, 8:35 pm

marinated portabellas cooked on the grill are fabulous
Loribug
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby falisamarie » March 20th, 2006, 8:52 pm

Oh you mushroom lovers!!! I am surrounded by them!

I just can't get my mind around eating fungus!!

I will try mushrooms......Imagewhen pigs fly

In all seriousness though I am happy for all of you who are mushroom lovers...you must be ecstatic

Lisa
Start date 1/15/06
falisamarie
Preferred Member - #100 Club
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Postby Loribug » March 20th, 2006, 8:54 pm

FUNGUS AMOUNGUS! :mrgreen:
Loribug
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby Diana » March 20th, 2006, 10:28 pm

The only think I miss about mushrooms is the sauted version with, oh, a whole stick of butter...

Perhaps that's where the caution regarding mushrooms originates.

You know, some garlic, perhaps some tomatoes, 3.5 oz of grilled chicken and 1/4 c of low fat cheese atop a decent sized portabella (but less than 1.5 c to allow for the tomatoes) and baked sounds like it would be a tasty L&G. hmmmm.....
Here's to our mutual success! :buddies: --Diana
Diana

Postby bzlife1967 » March 20th, 2006, 10:32 pm

Diana, Try saute-ing the mushrooms in a little bit of water with butter extract and your seasonings. I did this last night with asparagus it was quite buttery tasting!!
Friends are angels that lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly!
Highest 289
MF 250/216/150
Restart 02/27/07
bzlife1967
Preferred Member - #30 Club

Postby THINKTHIN » March 21st, 2006, 5:10 pm

Stuffed mushrooms are one of my favorites! i use ground white turkey meat, onions, s & p, garlic, and whatever comes to mind! Of course, it's not like the ones we know, but it sure kills the "i wish i could eat that" saying! I also use a bell pepper this way!
THINKTHIN
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Tonight's Dinner with Mushrooms

Postby lan » March 22nd, 2006, 8:11 pm

Tonight, I took some buffalo (it is extremely lean and tastes just like beef), sauted it, added some sliced mushrooms and zucchini. After steaming them all together, I added some curry powder and just a little splenda. Boy it was good. The mushrooms were fantastic. It made such a large amount, I am saving some for a later meal.
Lan
Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined. - Henry David Thoreau

lan
Trusted Member - #70 Club

Next

Return to Weight Loss