Reflections - Especially for those who have not yet started!

Post your weight loss successes or failures here...:)

Reflections - Especially for those who have not yet started!

Postby LongWay2go » November 28th, 2004, 10:04 am

Hello, especially to those who are still contemplating starting the MediFast program. I would like to share with you my past 6 months as motivation for you to get started and convince you that MediFast WORKS!

6 months ago:
I could barely walk. Even a trip to the bathroom took 45 minutes. 30 minutes to "prepare" for the pain of the trip and 15 to actually make that short walk there and back. I was taking 8 pain killers per day just to bring my pain level down to a level that was not horrible to me. Sometimes it would take 6 or more attempts to get out of my chair before I was able to stand. I had to use a handrail and a dining room chair, carefully positioned, to stand up. I had to use a cane even for one step and a wheelchair to go further.

5 months ago:
Things were getting better. I was down to 4 vicodene a day, but still in a tremendous amount of pain. I could move my legs without crying out though. That was a definite improvement. I was able to walk to the bathroom with a cane and using the wall for support but getting up from the chair was still difficult and painful. I began to shower again instead of taking sink baths. It was exhausting and not something I could do every day, but I tried. I did have to have help turning the water on and off though. Even sitting in a chair beside the tub, it was too painful to reach over to the handles. I had to sit in front of a fan to dry off. I could not reach below my waist. The pain was too severe.

4 months ago:
I started MediFast thanks to the blessing of having found Mike (explorthis) posting on this board. I began emailing him and he convinced me that I COULD do this.

3 months ago:
I lost nearly 40 pounds in the first 4 weeks. I was amazed! I was walking again. I was showering daily. No more sink baths! I was feeling better and around about that time, I retired my cane. I no longer needed assistance to get up from my chair either!

2 months ago:
I started shopping again, for the first time in several years. I had lost over 60 pounds in my first two months on the program. I was feeling better than I had in at least 5 years. It felt so awesome just to be able to leave my house - something I had not done the entire year except for doctor or emergency room visits. I bought a new BMW to celebrate.

1 month ago:
Time to start planning vacations! I made reservations for a trip to Las Vegas, one of my favorites - having lived there for 8 years prior to moving to New England. I'm going in January. I've also made tentative plans to go to Europe next summer and to take a Mediterrean cruise next year for my birthday. I will also have the honor of meeting LW (Nancy), her husband Terry, Unca Tim and RavenKat in Baltimore in about a week.

Today:
83 pounds lighter than when I started. Moving about freely. Making plans to enjoy the rest of my life instead of living in pain and misery. I'm currently making plans to fly down to St. Croix, Virgin Islands to look for a winter home. I'll probably do that in February.

Conclusion:
Exactly what is it that you have to think about? There is life after "fat" and the path is called MediFast! Join us today and make your life a celebration again. This is not a "paid" endorsement and I have nothing to gain whether you join us or not except the personal satisfaction of hoping that I may have influenced someone to change their life - for the better!

~Gerald aka Spidey
08/06/2004
on hiatus until "Vic the Vac" goes away!

WARNING: Don't try this at home, kids...
Euphoria may result!
Is this fun, or WHAT?!?
LongWay2go
Preferred Member - 90# Club

Postby MomJackieLee » November 28th, 2004, 10:21 am

Thanks so much for your story and your honesty. You have also been a big inspiration on my deciding to come back to medifast. I am 37 and also had to take daily meds for pain for a long time (Vioxx - yikes!!). I know I don't want to have to take daily meds for the rest of my life!!! When they pulled Vioxx, my Dr. offered Celebrex, but I decided to try it for a while without the meds. After the 30 lb weigh loss I made it thru in the summer, I find I can make it thru the day without meds. (I have a neck injury and premature arthritis in the spine that is worsened by the extra weight). I know most of my health problems would be greatly improved with more weight loss and that keeps me motivated. I also see the wonderful before and after stories of those who have made it through and that also keeps me focused.

I had Thanksgiving at my house (10 year tradition) and saw my family members eating WAY past the point of fullness even though they are diabetic, have high blood pressure and high cholestorol. It was a point of turnaround for me, because I see myself in them and think, "I don't want to spend the rest of my life like this!!!" So, I started back the next day.

Into day three and doing fine...Again thanks so much for your posts!!!
MomJackieLee
246/222/160
MomJackieLee
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby Nancy » November 28th, 2004, 10:40 am

MomJackieLee ~

It is wonderful that you have eyes to see where you were headed had you not made the decision to change the course of your future.

Spidey, you are a man in process and it is so rewarding to read about the changes in your health and life as you recount your journey to wholeness.

Medifast changes lives, one shake at a time.

It is difficult to express the joy that LIFE holds when we decide to let go of the pull of FOOD and grab hold of the hands of LIFE. Medifast is a gift that brings newness and a deep appreciation of life. Join us on the Medijourney!

:stroll: :stroll: :stroll: :stroll: :stroll: :stroll: :stroll: :stroll: :stroll: :stroll: :stroll: :stroll: :stroll: :stroll: :stroll: :stroll: :stroll: :stroll: :stroll:
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club

Postby shineface » November 28th, 2004, 1:37 pm

Gerald ---

How awesome are you --- I just read your "loss in a nut-shell" and I am so thankful you found Mike and MF - I have also gone through some huge changes and this forum combined with the MF is what make the difference - it did for me. Like most foodies I too have tried it all - the difference with MF is the High Quality of the product yes BUT it is this room, the people, the sharing, the courage and support that has truly sustained me during these times of success and blips.

WE WILL DO THIS TOGETHER!!!! :stroll:

PS - I'm thinkin' we don't live that far away from one another - maybe we can meet someday too.
Pam -"I AM the ME in MEdifast"
Start = 1/24/04 70 down 60 up
5/1/05=279.6
You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf. - Unknown
shineface

Postby LongWay2go » November 28th, 2004, 1:59 pm

Pam, if you can get the 6th-7th off, you should go down to Baltimore with me to meet Nancy and RavenKat! I'm driving down and going through CT, you can't be too far out of the way!

Otherwise yes, we'll definitely have to arrange a little meeting. We have Sarah (Berkshiregrl) and TamiL right here in our neck of the woods too!

~Gerald
08/06/2004

Euphoria may result!
Is this fun, or WHAT?!?
LongWay2go

Postby Karen » November 28th, 2004, 2:53 pm

Gerald and Jackielee, after years of on again off again diets and failures, reading stories like yours has helped motivate me to DO IT this time! I appreciate so much your willingness to share your stories. You have no idea how helpful it is to me, what it means to me. I KNOW I can do this, and do it for good and forever. Thanksgiving was actually easy for me. I cooked a little and read on here a LOT. By the time dinner was ready, I was very comfy with my wild rice soup and a bit of turkey and green beans. (I have to do the 5 & 1.) I must admit, I didn't fix some of my very favorites, but no one really missed them. All four kids and spouses enjoyed the meal even without half the calories, carbs and fats that I usually make. We had lots of fun, laughter and togetherness. No one had to "sleep off" an overindulgence and we had as good a time as any T-day before. You all please keep posting.... I have a feeling it will take a good bit of reading to get thru Christmas..... Thanks and congrats to all of you.
5'3 50 y/o Married
Started MF 11-08-04
Renewal experience 7-16-05
Karen
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Postby Nancy » November 28th, 2004, 4:45 pm

Karen, I think you are just beginning to catch a glimpse of the enormity of it all - Medifast works, it is the family-ness of the Forum that assists you to keep on going when foody issues arise and we (foodies) must learn to focus on other things besides food.

We had lots of fun, laughter and togetherness.

Yup, it's all about the family/friend togetherness not the food togetherness! You are on your way!

Yeah, Shiney and others...we will be at the Embassy in Baltimore on Dec. 6th about 6 PM. I wanna meetcha, Kids!
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy

Postby MomJackieLee » November 28th, 2004, 6:33 pm

Karen -

I am on the first 1/3 of my journey but now see that I want to just get it done. Hang in there and all of us will get there.

My new motto from the Blue Collar Comedy Tour - Get 'R Done!!! 8)
MomJackieLee
246/222/160
MomJackieLee

Postby Nancy » November 28th, 2004, 11:39 pm

Yup! I call it the Quick and Dirty!
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy

Postby SusannaRosannaDanna » November 29th, 2004, 9:29 pm

Oh GERALD!

:hug:

You just make me wanna hug you! My everlovin' hubby will be glad to know that you are all the way up there, as I tend to be effusive and impulsive when I am as THRILLED with life as I have been these last few months. Hearing you articulate it so well just stretches my smile a bit further still!

I hope you find the PERFECT winter nest! When I'm at goal, I'll be so tiny you won't notice me stowing away in your luggage!
:roflmao:

Susanna
Started 8/2/2004
297/234/140
Next goal: 220!

Wow. That's all I know to say.
SusannaRosannaDanna
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Postby LongWay2go » November 30th, 2004, 5:17 am

SRD, hehe

We've been warned that we must find a house with several guest cottages. I think that is a "must have". :roflmao:

~Spidey
08/06/2004

Euphoria may result!
Is this fun, or WHAT?!?
LongWay2go

Postby shineface » November 30th, 2004, 4:52 pm

Hi Gerald ----

I would've loved to go to Baltimore with you to see LW & Co. -- I checked today and it's not going to work here at work --- unfortunately Tues and WED are my most critcal days here because I run the Inn while the Innkeepers get some "down" time --- I have to plan pretty far inadvance to make it work. You are right though, I'm just a hop off of I-95 and again, I would have loved to go. Thanks for the offer.
Now, what's this about Vegas Vacation with LW et al?

Thanks

WE WILL DO THIS TOGETHER!!! :| :stroll:
5/1/05=279.6
shineface

Postby LongWay2go » November 30th, 2004, 5:24 pm

Well, I'm going there from January 5 to the 16th. LW, Unca, Terry and our infamous Mike are planning to be there something like the 9th and 10th, I think. There's a post somewhere from Nancy with those dates. My first few days are work days, then a week of fun! You wanna go?

~Gerald
08/06/2004

Euphoria may result!
Is this fun, or WHAT?!?
LongWay2go

Postby Nancy » November 30th, 2004, 7:04 pm

Pam,

:tears: I am bummed...I so wanted to meet you, Little Darlin' - in the skin! :thumbsup: We shall just have to plan on it some other time.

I want to see New England some day - especially in the fall. I love the beautiful colors of autumn trees. I collect and press leaves. I have bowls and baskets of pressed leaves and little mossy craggy twigs and sticks. Weird, eh? Better than collecting boxes of truffles...

Shiney, we shall miss you but when RavenKat, Spidey and Terry and I meet we will be thinkin' about skinny you! :shades:
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy

Postby shineface » December 1st, 2004, 6:57 pm

Gerald ---

Again, I would love to go --- funny I was just looking at what great rates there are out to Vegas and I'm thinking seriously of jumping ship for a long weekend to somewhere warm - maybe over New Year's weekend - even if I have to go alone!!!! But, unfortunately, the Innkeepers I work with are leaving on Jan 10th for 15 days in Hawaii and I have to move in lock, stock and barrel and run the Inn for a couple of weeks.... drats, again another missed opportunity to shmooze with LW and Co.

LW - I'm stalking you now --- I will find a time that we will be in the same place and do a little shakin' together!!!!

Thanks Gerald ---- we will meet - I can feel that Northeastern Medifest coming into plan!

WE WILL DO THIS TOGETHER!!! :stroll:
5/1/05=279.6
shineface

Next

Return to The Weight Room