Really Concerned

Questions/Comments about Weight loss Products.

Really Concerned

Postby Marseilles » July 8th, 2004, 10:48 am

Hi all...

I had previously posted this in response to something Tamil had written and due to the fact that it has me very concerned and it received no response where it was, I have decided to run it as a new post..

Has anyone else had this same problem? Does anyone have any suggestions or advice? ANY help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

I should note that in addition to what I had posted previously, I have also tried implementing a lean/green meal as suggested by someone on the MMT team, in hopes this would alleviate the problem. Unfortunately, its been a couple weeks now and it has not. I also have ceased losing weight altogether..

Wondering very much if my effort is worth it, at this point.
-M.

Hi Tami..

I too have had a TON of hairloss and quite frankly, it concerns me to no end. Its gotten almost out of hand, to where I am wondering whether or not to see a Dietician to find out exactly what my body has been lacking while on medifast and so I can transition early or an MD to find out what exactly is wrong with me.

I too said I would rather lose a bit of hair than be fat but this is out of hand..I am losing handfuls of hair and it scares me. I am seeing my medifast days as truly numbered as a result of it.

Now thats not to say that I will not continue to try and lose weight, but I am wondering if MF is still the best place for me. I have gone from 220 to 165lbs so far and would like to lose another 30 pounds or so..but Ive pretty much convinced myself I can do it with a different means and keep my hair in the process.

Consider as well (for others reading this) that while being on medifast I have been under a Dr.'s care the whole time, have taken an additional vitamin/mineral supplement at his suggestion as well as B12/B6 injections weekly and have also taken Omega 3's. I have taken all the preventative measures in order to AVOID the hairloss and still have a ton of it..

Thanks for letting me rant..
-M. the concerned
:cry:

**Scratch that, I went and weighed in today and I am officially at 160lbs**
Marseilles
Preferred member

Postby Carrie » July 8th, 2004, 11:01 am

M.-

I'm sorry to hear you haven't found the solution to your problem - it would worry me a lot as well.

Did you call the MF nurse? Have you called MF directly - perhaps you can recruit Nancy or Tim to help you get the help you need directly from MF. What does you Doctor say?

PLease let me know what happens,
Carrie
Now: 2/5/07: 233.6/220.0/145
1st time: 3/1/04, from 266.5 to 195.4
Carrie
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby justme » July 8th, 2004, 1:31 pm

Hi,

I would surely go to the doctor and find out what is wrong...I mean the only thing I can tell you is that female hair loss runs in my family and my both of my aunts on my mom's said started losing their hair in their thirties...just a thought maybe it isn't the Medifast maybe just a coincidence. Good Luck and keep us posted if you find out anything.

Carli
Start Date June 15, 2004

253.5/247.5/140
justme

Postby Ria » July 8th, 2004, 1:47 pm

Here is an article I found...

Hair Loss

Causes of Excessive Hair Loss

Improper Hair Cosmetic Use/Improper Hair Care - Many men and women use chemical treatments on their hair, including dyes, tints, bleaches, straighteners, and permanent waves. These treatments rarely damage hair if they are done correctly. However, the hair can become weak and break if any of these chemicals are used too often. Hair can also break if the solution is left on too long, if two procedures are done on the same day, or if bleach is applied to previously bleached hair. If hair becomes brittle from chemical treatments, it's best to stop until the hair has grown out.

Hairstyles that pull on the hair, like ponytails and braids, should not be pulled tightly and should be alternated with looser hairstyles. The constant pull causes some hair loss, especially along the sides of the scalp.

Shampooing, combing and brushing too often, can also damage hair, causing it to break. Using a cream rinse or conditioner after shampooing will make it more manageable and easier to comb. When hair is wet, it is more fragile, so vigorous rubbing with a towel, and rough combing and brushing should be avoided. Don't follow the old rule of 100 brush strokes a day-that damages hair. Instead, use wide toothed combs and brushes with smooth tips.

Hereditary Thinning or Balding - Hereditary balding or thinning is the most common cause of hair loss. The tendency can be inherited from either the mother's or father's side of the family. Women with this trait develop thinning hair, but do not become completely bald. The condition is called androgenetic alopecia and it can start in the teens, twenties, or thirties. There is no cure, although medical treatments have recently become available that may help some people. One treatment involves applying a lotion, minoxidil, to the scalp twice a day. Another treatment for men is a daily pill containing finasteride, a drug that blocks the formation of the active male hormone in the hair follicle.

Androgenetic Alopecia - male (L) and female (R)

Alopecia Areata - In this type of hair loss, hair usually falls out, resulting in totally smooth, round patches about the size of a coin or larger. It can, though rare, result in complete loss of scalp and body hair. This disease may affect children or adults of any age.

The cause of alopecia areata is unknown. Apart from the hair loss, affected persons are generally in excellent health. In most cases, the hair regrows by itself. Dermatologists can treat many people with this condition. Treatments include topical medications, a special kind of light treatment, or in some cases pills.

Alopecia Areata

Childbirth
- When a woman is pregnant, more of her hairs will be growing. However, after a woman delivers her baby, many hairs enter the resting phase of the hair cycle. Within two to three months, some women will notice large amounts of hair coming out in their brushes and combs. This can last one to six months, but resolves completely in most cases.

High Fever, Severe Infection, Severe Flu - Illnesses may cause hairs to enter the resting phase. Four weeks to three months after a high fever, severe illness, or infection, a person may be shocked to see a lot of hair falling out. This shedding usually corrects itself.

Thyroid Disease
- Both an over-active thyroid and an under-active thyroid can cause hair loss. Your physician can diagnosis thyroid disease with laboratory tests. Hair loss associated with thyroid disease can be reversed with proper treatment.

Inadequate Protein in Diet - Some people who go on crash diets that are low in protein, or have severely abnormal eating habits, may develop protein malnutrition. The body will save protein by shifting growing hairs into the resting phase. Massive hair shedding can occur two to three months later. Hair can then be pulled out by the roots fairly easily. This condition can be reversed and prevented by eating the proper amount of protein and, when dieting, maintaining adequate protein intake.

Medications - Some prescription drugs may cause temporary hair shedding. Examples include some of the medicines used for the following: gout, arthritis, depression, heart problems, high blood pressure, or blood thinner. High doses of vitamin A may also cause hair shedding.

Cancer Treatments - Some cancer treatments will cause hair cells to stop dividing. Hairs become thin and break off as they exit the scalp. This occurs one to three weeks after the treatment. Patients can lose up to 90 percent of their scalp hair. The hair will regrow after treatment ends. Patients may want to get wigs before treatment.

Birth Control Pills - Women who lose hair while taking birth control pills usually have an inherited tendency for hair thinning. If hair thinning occurs, a woman can consult her gynecologist about switching to another birth control pill. When a woman stops using oral contraceptives, she may notice that her hair begins shedding two or three months later. This may continue for six months when it usually stops. This is similar to hair loss after the birth of a child.

Low Serum Iron - Iron deficiency occasionally produces hair loss. Some people don't have enough iron in their diets or may not fully absorb iron. Women who have heavy menstrual periods may develop iron deficiency. Low iron can be detected by laboratory tests and can be corrected by taking iron pills.

Major Surgery/Chronic Illness - Anyone who has a major operation may notice increased hair shedding within one to three months afterwards. The condition reverses itself within a few months but people who have a severe chronic illness may shed hair indefinitely.

Fungus Infection (Ringworm) of the Scalp - Caused by a fungus infection, ringworm (which has nothing to do with worms) begins with small patches of scaling that can spread and result in broken hair, redness, swelling, and even oozing. This contagious disease is most common in children, and oral medication will cure it.

Hair Pulling (Trichotillomania) - Children and sometimes adults will twist or pull their hair, brows, or lashes until they come out. In children especially, this is often just a bad habit that gets better when the harmful effects of that habit are explained. Sometimes hair pulling can be a coping response to unpleasant stresses and occasionally is a sign of a serious problem needing the help of a mental health professional.

Ria
Ria
Trusted Member - #30 Club

Postby Nancy » July 8th, 2004, 6:44 pm

:x Hair Loss IS the pits...I experienced it. Thus I got my fur cut really short and spiked it up - now I choose to wear it that way because it looks cute!

However, I realize that not everyone wants to look spiky! :shock:

It seems as if you have done everything that I know of to do.

BTW, just in case there are some people out there reading this about hair loss and worrying about it, NOT everyone experiences hair loss.

It is temporary, the hair DOES come back and in most cases, it returns thicker and better than ever before. My hair has always been stick-straight and since using Medifast, no kidding - my hair is wispier - it actually curls a bit! Medifast didn't change the color of my eyes but I think it DID change the texture of my hair a tad bit. Weird, eh?

I know of several men that started out follicularly challenged prior to starting Medifast have actually ended up reaching their goal weight and having thicker hair than before they started using Medifast! Cool, eh?

Now let's discuss your issue. Some people are more prone than others to experience hair loss. The body is busy shedding the stored fat and when the bod thinks it is not getting enough food, it saves its energies for other things. Thus less effort goes into replacing or growing new hairs while the body is burning the fat.

Like you, I was getting concerned about my hair loss, too but I was willing to wear scarves and hats if it meant I'd be thinner. Now I know that my attitude may not be your attitude.

In my previous weight loss experiences, I lost hair, too. When I was on some of the major national weight loss plans - Diet Center, Nutrisystem, and JC, I lost hair...it came back and so did the flabbage...

I feel that it will take a few weeks for the Omega 3s, Oil of Evening Primrose, Biotin or the B Vits to really begin to be effective so give it a while to work, check for new hair growth along your hairline. Please know that if I could shake a magic shaker jar and have your fur all return, I would gladly do that for you! I :x hate it when my people are not happy.

I'm sure you are already being really gentle with your hair as you comb it and wash it.

Wish I could hold your hand and pat you and have everything instantly be all better. It WILL get better. xxxooo
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club

Postby AJ » July 9th, 2004, 1:31 pm

The book, "Success in a Shaker Jar", also talks about hair loss and some possible helps. Like Nancy said, the author also states that the hair loss will stop.
Good luck, AJ
AJ
Regular Member - #20 Club

Sorry about hair loss!

Postby Dogsade » November 19th, 2004, 8:56 pm

I would read the "success" book. I think one of the side effects of MF is dry skin and possible hair loss which scared me. The book suggests taking flaxseed oil or even borage oil which contain the Omega 3,6,9 fatty acids. I also take a multivitamin. So look into that. Best to you and keep positive.

Cuffy
Dogsade

Postby SusannaRosannaDanna » November 21st, 2004, 10:00 pm

:(

This is my biggest concern with being on Medifast (and that's not saying much, because I'm not that worried--more like a nagging, niggling "thing" in the back of my mind).

I have very thick, slightly wavy hair--the type of hair that was perfect for the Eighties, because a set of hot rollers and a can of AquaNet Ultra Hold made me the belle of the ball when great BIG hair was the rage! LOL

I've always "dealt" with this hair, and when big hair went the way of the dinosaurs, I was at a loss--my hair is just BIG. Even without rollers, and after banishing all AquaNet products, my hair is just thick and wavy...go figure.

It's falling out. In gobs. My hairbrush is jammed with hair, and it seems most of what's hanging on is gray. :scratchhead:

I haven't lost so much that I LOOK any different--I think it just looks shocking when you pull what appears to be a woodchuck pelt out of your shower drain. I'm monitoring the issue, but not that worried..I've been through it three times before (not related to weightloss), and it always comes back.

I'm sorry it's upsetting you this much, and I really hope you can find a supplement or other solution that will do the trick!

Susanna
Started 8/2/2004
297/234/140
Next goal: 220!

Wow. That's all I know to say.
SusannaRosannaDanna
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Postby TamiL » November 22nd, 2004, 4:25 am

Susanna and M-
what I WOULDNT give to go back to Last march/April and have stayed FAITHFUL on this program...to never have slipped and been struggling since then to stay on track!! I COMMEND those who from Day1 never slipped up....because it is so hard to get back on track after you fall off the train to thinville...Ive been struggling with it...countless times!! but Ive never given up and threw in the towel alltogether!! and I WONT!! thankfully..I have maintained my weight loss...on the scale anyhow, but at times I do notice extra flab in places I have never seen it!! that is from the up and down and extra calories not being burned off!! excersice will help that..and remaining true to my shakes this time!!
BUT THE HAIRLOSS did happen to me as well...and IM sure it will return once I have been shakin for about a month with NO CHEATING!! what I started to do back then was to take (similar supplements as Nancy Mentioned to take above in her earlier post) Evening Primrose oil Capsules before bed...1,000 millgram and extra B vitamins during the day! I also got a shampoo called "nisium" its on line if you do a google search for it...its supposed to help with Hair loss and It did help me....its expensive..but that may help you as well!! Its alot like Rogaine for woman!! I would try the vitamin avenue first....try having a lean/green meal too instead of the full fast...that may help!
see a nutritionist if you can....get thier insight on it or call the AWESOME crew at Medifast and see what they have to offer for advice...HANG IN THERE!! I know its scary when you see lots of hair coming off your brush!! but we also GROW hair back everyday....just try different avenues...see what works for you!! ;) If I hear of any other solutions..Ill be the first to HOLLAR AT YOU!!
Tami
ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE IF YOU BELEIVE!!!

Medifast RESTART 13 March 09
150/my goal weight is 130
TamiL
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Postby Nancy » November 22nd, 2004, 1:26 pm

Susanna ~

Yep, it does happen to some of us. I never had BIG HAIR and surely would love to experience that just once in my life! Hair loss stops and new ones return once you reach transition and maintenance and begin to eat other foods. Treat the situation nutritionally with some of the things I mentioned above. Flaxseed oil, Oil of Evening Primrose, Omega 3, B vits, or Borage may be of help. Although technically the complete fast program does not include any regular food whatsoever, I feel that by having a small green salad a day with low fat dressing is helpful in two ways - it keeps the stomach actively digesting raw food and the slight amount of oil addresses the dry skin and perhaps aids our hair. When I was on the weight loss program, the protocol was 5 Medifast products; now it is 6 products - again, I believe the additional protein may assist the hair loss situation and the weight loss remains steady and true.

I lost my hair when I was going to the Weight Loss Clinic Program, the Diet Center, Jenny, Nutrisystem, too.
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy

Return to Weight Loss