Quit Torturing Yourselves

Give us the skinny in the losers lounge.
(Anything off topic)

Postby Ct. Yankee » January 3rd, 2007, 1:12 pm

Excellent posts, Karli. :) Much 'food' for thought! Thanks for your wisdom and insight.
Joan
Ct. Yankee
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby Karli » January 3rd, 2007, 2:45 pm

Just to be clear, I am not even disagreeing with alpha. As a matter of fact, I agree with just about everything you have said. Also, I am not suggesting that I think it's a good idea to enter into this program (on whatever 1st day it may be) thinking one will be compliant when one feels like it and all the other times just eat what one wishes. I know that being fully ON is the "easiest" choice. I am not trying to wriggle mine nor anbody else's way out of that.

However --and I will admit that I am ultra sensitive about it sometimes-- I take issue when it seems there is a sense of condemnation toward others whom don't start the program and never step off until their goal is reached. Condemnation just doesn't solve anything nor help. Most likely no condemnation was meant by this thread, and this is my own trip. Probably this thread was meant to be encouraging, and maybe even especially to those whom feel they need the encouragement. So I apologize if I have taken it as it was not intended. I know that misunderstandings can be very frustrating when somebody's intentions are actually good and thoughtful.

I guess I just feel like it's my right, as well as anybody's, to be thoughtful throughout this process if that's what one wishes, and to even take a break if that is what one needs. There is more than one way to go about one's journey to optimal health. It's also my right to make mistakes, to make the wrong decision, and to have setbacks. And actually, the way that I am wired, the more freedom I give myself to make either decision with regard to my eating, the easier it is for me to make a good one. That's me. If I feel like I am being improperly shoved into something and have no choice in the matter, chances are, I will rebel. It's just a matter of really understanding what the consequences are of our actions, and I belive that's what you are tyring to get people to see.

But, just in closing, I will always advocate for complete compliance if one is wishing to lose the weight. It is the only way to actually lose the weight. All I am suggesting is that losing the weight is not *always* the foremost important decision, sometimes bigger things are at stake.

Anyway, cheers,
Karli
Karli

Postby alpha femme » January 3rd, 2007, 3:04 pm

Karli wrote:I take issue when it seems there is a sense of condemnation toward others whom don't start the program and never step off until their goal is reached. Condemnation just doesn't solve anything nor help. Most likely no condemnation was meant by this thread, and this is my own trip. Probably this thread was meant to be encouraging, and maybe even especially to those whom feel they need the encouragement. So I apologize if I have taken it as it was not intended.

no, i don't think you've misinterpreted anything. in fact, i titled it "quit torturing yourself" because it was gentler than "quit whining or knock that crap off."

however, that does not imply that i am codemning anyone in any way. i applaud people who get back on the horse after slipping. at the same time, i think it is vital for people to acknowledge that nothing "just happens." food (except in the movie se7ev) is a choice. consider this a loving (albeit tough love) post. it's like the saying, "sorry isn't enough when you do something stupid on purpose." our bodies will say the same to us when they speak up. and as people who are fat know, bodies speak with every creaking knee, every aching foot, every popped button.

so! i challenge anyone who is offended by this post to move 30 minutes more every day; eat like it's fuel, not comfort; live like they want to, not like they feel they can. and then come back and tell me to kiss your skinny, healthy butt.

:D
alpha femme
Preferred member

Postby Karli » January 3rd, 2007, 3:10 pm

ha ha... how hilarious. Suddenly I have gone from feeling defensive to completely inspired and ready to kick a$$ :twisted: 8)

Inspiration is one of the only ways to get me ;)

Karli

all good

Postby LAwoman » January 3rd, 2007, 3:24 pm

Hey All,

I have, okay, want, to chime in again here.

This post really spoke to me today in regard to the big picture of making choices that are best for us.

If people can reach goal on MF by never "slipping up" and being 100% compliant along the way, then kudos to them, they should be proud of themselves, after all, that was the way the program is designed. I certainly admire the strength. And from personal experience, I also know this way works best.

Of course that doesn't take away from each person's strengths, be it restarting, here for the first time, or whatever. The fact that we're here, taking control and being responsible for our lives is much to be proud of, another example of strength.

So on to a wonderful and successful MF-year where each of us reach all our goals. :D
Last edited by LAwoman on January 3rd, 2007, 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LAwoman
Preferred member

Postby Serendipity » January 3rd, 2007, 4:10 pm

Speaking for my self, I have never condemned anyone for how they do this program. If you want to take the long way around, go for it. In all honesty, it does get a little frustrating, reading about those of you who are not compliant (not singling anyone out here), and who have major cheats, also complain when the weight isn't falling off in huge chunks. We can't have it both ways. Let's be honest here.....there's alot of cheating going on and from my view, it does seem to be condoned.

Those of us who are compliant just wish to let you all know about the short cut that's available to anyone who is willing to suck it up and just do it. We want to let you know that the true easy way is compliance. Lately, I would say there's been more talk about how we've cheated and "jumped right back on" than about how we are sticking to the program as it is written in the Quick Start Guide. I know it's the holidays and all, but many of us have survived the holidays without wrecking our diets. It can be done and it should be put out there as an option.

There will always be those who cheat and those who don't, we just need a happy mix. We all have the same goal, right?

So, Alex, I understand where you're coming from, and Karli, I understand your reasoning, too. The bottom line is - the success you have on this program is up to you. No one can flick the switch for you, it has to come from within.

Hugs to all......you know I love ya!
jo
276/135 since December 1, 2006
"Grandma, how did you make yourself so little?", My grandson, Jake
Serendipity
Preferred Member - #140 Club

Postby eskwyre » January 3rd, 2007, 4:30 pm

Well said.
eskwyre
Regular Member - #10 Club

Postby nickieluv » January 3rd, 2007, 7:06 pm

I agree, Jo, well said. I was one of those whiny "why-aren't-I-losing-I-only-skipped-one-meal-and-had-cheetos" cheaters on every diet I've ever been on, so I know exactly what you're talking about. But in my earlier post, I didn't mean to imply that stopping and starting was the best path, just that coming back takes strength, too. I sincerely hope everyone who comes back is planning to stay compliant - it's not OK to be on-plan five days out of seven, or two out of three, or whatever, on purpose. But if you're sincerely trying and you have a setback, it's much better to start again than to give up.

Sometimes I know what I mean, but no one else does.
nickieluv
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Postby Karli » January 3rd, 2007, 7:12 pm

Serendipity wrote:In all honesty, it does get a little frustrating, reading about those of you who are not compliant (not singling anyone out here), and who have major cheats, also complain when the weight isn't falling off in huge chunks. We can't have it both ways. Let's be honest here.....there's alot of cheating going on and from my view, it does seem to be condoned.

Well, I thought I was done in this thread but here I find myself typing in again. I guess I feel like there is a little exaggeration going on here and I have to say, if "cheating" has ever been condoned, I have just plain missed it. Yes, I think hopping back on is condoned, and I think it should be. And, I also don't think there has been a whole lot of mystery for people in why they aren't losing weight if they know their habits need a little belt-tightening.

If I keep talking at this point, I think I would only be allowing my personal thoughts and feelings to get into the way, and instead of saying something I will regret, I will just let this be. Overall, I very much respect and appreciate the example that other successful MFers have been. That won't change. I think we just see things differently and I feel that I have been pretty successful on this program as well. I am just not going to allow anybody to take that away from me or even cheapen it for me (and nobody can) with this talk of who has done what and so on. We all deserve our own successes just as much as anybody else, whatever they are and however we reach them -- and they are valuable.

Cheers,
Karli
Last edited by Karli on January 4th, 2007, 10:14 am, edited 5 times in total.
Karli

Postby Serendipity » January 4th, 2007, 3:52 am

nickieluv wrote:ISometimes I know what I mean, but no one else does.

I have the same affliction. :mrgreen:
jo
276/135 since December 1, 2006
"Grandma, how did you make yourself so little?", My grandson, Jake
Serendipity

Postby bikipatra » January 4th, 2007, 5:02 am

Serendipity wrote:
nickieluv wrote:ISometimes I know what I mean, but no one else does.

I have the same affliction. :mrgreen:

Me three!!! I go to a guy who gets 225 bucks an hour to listen to my innermost thoughts and I leave his office thinking he didn't understand a word I said!
Restart Date: January 1, 2010
12/31/09 226.8
226.8/218/135
bikipatra
Preferred Member - #100 Club
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Previous

Return to What's Shakin'