Questions from a Paranoid & Anal Newbie ;)

Questions/Comments about Weight loss Products.

Questions from a Paranoid & Anal Newbie ;)

Postby LosingIt » January 29th, 2007, 9:58 am

Hi Everyone,

I introduced myself a couple of days ago and I warned everyone I'd be here asking questions. :mrgreen:

Question 1:

I'm spacing my meals about 2.5 hours apart because I don't really like eating that late at night. So, my schedule is:

8:30am, 11:00am, 1:30pm, 4:00pm, 6:30pm, 9:00pm

I notice that most people do 3 hours apart. Does this make a difference at all or is my schedule fine?

I said I was paranoid & anal right? ;)

Question 2:

I am having a hard time finding the various syrups (Da Vinci, Torani, etc.) here in Canada. Is just using extracts comparable or do the syrups enhance the flavor of the shakes significantly better?

I've got friends in the US who would be willing to buy them for me and then ship to Canada but I don't want to bug them if the difference is only minor.

Question 3:

I read on a another forum (not medifast) that the diet requires we limit our carb intake to 80-85g per day.

But when I count up the carb intake on some of my plans of 5 Medifast Meals (Limiting to 1 bar), I'm already at 78g. For example:

Beef Vegetable Stew = 14g
Chocolate Pudding = 15g
Vanilla Shake = 13g
Hot Cocoa = 14g
Oatmeal Raisin Bar = 22g

1.5 cups of veggies in my L&G is going to add up to at least 10-15g depending on the type so obviously, that would put me over this supposed recommended range.

Was this poster just misinformed or is this a guideline we should be abiding by?

Those are all the things that are weighing on my mind at the moment. (Excuse the lousy pun ;) )

I would appreciate any feedback/help you can provide.
LosingIt

Re: Questions from a Paranoid & Anal Newbie ;)

Postby TonyR » January 29th, 2007, 10:05 am

LosingIt wrote:Hi Everyone,

I introduced myself a couple of days ago and I warned everyone I'd be here asking questions. :mrgreen:

Question 1:

I'm spacing my meals about 2.5 hours apart because I don't really like eating that late at night. So, my schedule is:

8:30am, 11:00am, 1:30pm, 4:00pm, 6:30pm, 9:00pm

I notice that most people do 3 hours apart. Does this make a difference at all or is my schedule fine?

I said I was paranoid & anal right? ;)

Question 2:

I am having a hard time finding the various syrups (Da Vinci, Torani, etc.) here in Canada. Is just using extracts comparable or do the syrups enhance the flavor of the shakes significantly better?

I've got friends in the US who would be willing to buy them for me and then ship to Canada but I don't want to bug them if the difference is only minor.

Question 3:

I read on a another forum (not medifast) that the diet requires we limit our carb intake to 80-85g per day.

But when I count up the carb intake on some of my plans of 5 Medifast Meals (Limiting to 1 bar), I'm already at 78g. For example:

Beef Vegetable Stew = 14g
Chocolate Pudding = 15g
Vanilla Shake = 13g
Hot Cocoa = 14g
Oatmeal Raisin Bar = 22g

1.5 cups of veggies in my L&G is going to add up to at least 10-15g depending on the type so obviously, that would put me over this supposed recommended range.

Was this poster just misinformed or is this a guideline we should be abiding by?

Those are all the things that are weighing on my mind at the moment. (Excuse the lousy pun ;) )

I would appreciate any feedback/help you can provide.

Question 1

In the quick start guide it says to eat your meals 2-3 hours apart so you should be fine. The thing is, what time do you get up? you should be eating no later than 1 hour after you get up!

Question 2

Syrups give you much better flavor than extracts so I would say get some syrups....Mike on here has found a web site www dot syrup2you dot com....check that out and see if they ship to Canada.

Question 3

It does say somewhere and I think Unca could maybe help find it that you should try and minimize your carb intake to 80-85 grams, but as I always say, if you are seeing results that are good then don't worry about it, but it is when you STOP seeing results you need to re-evaluate what you are eating and adjust accordingly!

hope this helps! :)
Start 5/1/06
Goal 3/1/07
TonyR
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Postby LosingIt » January 29th, 2007, 10:19 am

You are fast & fantastic TonyR! Thanks.

I get up at 8:15am or so and the first thing I do is prepare a Medifast meal - usually oatmeal.

I work from home so I can be a bit indulgent about sleeping in. ;)

Thanks for the advice on the syrups. I checked out that website and they do ship to Canada - woohoo! I am going to place an order today.

I balanced out my Medifast meals based on the 4 week variety pack that I ordered. Right now, based on the schedule I have in place, my Medifast carb intake would range between 72 - 78g/day.

So, it seems like no matter what, I will always be at risk of exceeding the 80-85g range once I add my L&G.

Unfortunately, I can't really base it on my results as today is only my 5th day on Medifast. I'm trying to be good and only weigh myself once a week but I did take a peek yesterday and the scale is down by about 8 pounds.

Probably just water weight but made me happy to see it. :mrgreen:
LosingIt

Postby Serendipity » January 29th, 2007, 10:26 am

I never worried about the carb count as long as I was continuing to lose. I believe what you are referring to is the suggested limit if you are having problems. You could achieve that by cutting out the higher carb supplements and being careful to use the lower carb veggies.

In a nut shell.......don't worry about counting your carbs unless you're majorly stuck.
jo
276/135 since December 1, 2006
"Grandma, how did you make yourself so little?", My grandson, Jake
Serendipity
Preferred Member - #140 Club

Postby TonyR » January 29th, 2007, 10:33 am

your welcome, and glad they ship to canada!! Just keep it up and as we always say, work the plan and the plan will work for you! :)
Start 5/1/06
Goal 3/1/07
TonyR

Postby LosingIt » January 29th, 2007, 12:24 pm

Thanks again Tony & you too Serendipity.

I won't sweat it unless it seems like something isn't working.
LosingIt

Postby horsey girl » January 29th, 2007, 9:06 pm

LosingIt,
If you look at the total carb count on your foods you will see it is broken down into dietary fiber and sugars. We cannot digest the fiber. It only passes through us so to get your effective carb count you subtract the fiber from the total count. This should put you in the correct range for your daily carbs. Hope this makes you feel better! The Medifast products usually have several grams of fiber and so probably do your veggies! Remember it's the fiber that keeps you from being 'anal retentive'. Relax and happy shaking.
;)
Ad Astra per Aspera
horsey girl
Preferred Member - 90# Club

Postby MerryMary » January 29th, 2007, 10:26 pm

horsey girl wrote:LosingIt,
Remember it's the fiber that keeps you from being 'anal retentive'. ;)

:lol: Hahahahaha! :roflmao:
MARY
Started MF 11/6/06; reached goal 9/27/07.
MerryMary
Preferred Member - #110 Club
Preferred Member - #110 Club

Postby LosingIt » January 30th, 2007, 9:07 am

horsey girl wrote:LosingIt,
If you look at the total carb count on your foods you will see it is broken down into dietary fiber and sugars. We cannot digest the fiber. It only passes through us so to get your effective carb count you subtract the fiber from the total count. This should put you in the correct range for your daily carbs. Hope this makes you feel better! The Medifast products usually have several grams of fiber and so probably do your veggies! Remember it's the fiber that keeps you from being 'anal retentive'. Relax and happy shaking.
;)

Thanks horsey girl! I did not think to look at it this way. Very helpful information and I defnitely feel better now.
LosingIt

Postby Sojourner » January 30th, 2007, 4:35 pm

horsey girl wrote:Remember it's the fiber that keeps you from being 'anal retentive'.

:point: Hey, doesn't "anal-retentive" have a hyphen??

:roflmao:
~*~*~*Sojourner*~*~*~

Shake it gone, babeee!!!
Sojourner
Preferred member

Postby Serendipity » January 30th, 2007, 6:18 pm

:roflmao: OMG, you kill me, sojo.
jo
276/135 since December 1, 2006
"Grandma, how did you make yourself so little?", My grandson, Jake
Serendipity