Question about staying on Medifast

Introduce yourself to the forum.
(Guests Welcome)

Question about staying on Medifast

Postby Guest » April 16th, 2006, 8:15 pm

I am thinking of trying Medifast again. My question is: How do people go from overeating (that's why most of us are overweight) to being able to limit themselves to the Medifast regime? It takes so much willpower to stick to a plan like this, so what prevents most people from just applying that same willpower to eating right and losing the weight that way? The last time I tried Medifast, I would get such cravings for real food that I wasn't able to stay on it. I really need to lose 60-70 lbs. and I'm the type of person that has to see quick results or I won't stick to it. I would really appreciate everyones feedback before I spend a ton of money again and then not stick to the plan. I've tried every other diet out there and couldn't stick to any of them. Hopefully someone will be able to give me some feedback that just might help me be able to do it this time.

Thanks

Postby lise » April 16th, 2006, 8:23 pm

I've been in your shoes.

I stick to plan and never cheat because I can't afford to. The food for me is really expensive but I made a lot of sacrifices in order to make this plan work. I made a commitment to myself to see it through. After the first week and having seen results, I know the plan works.

Try a 2 week sample pack to begin, you will see if you like it, after the first week, if you like it, order the 4 week sample pack. They really are more economical than ordering products individually.

You need to put yourself in the right frame of mind to do it. I've been temped every single day at work and at home with people eating the wrong foods but I stuck with my plan.

I am leaving for the Carribean for 3 months and will taking MF with me. Just because I am not at home, does not mean that I need to quit. I eat better, I sleep better and my clothes look a lot better on me.

Hope this helps you!

Lise
lise
Trusted Member

Postby supermom » April 16th, 2006, 9:54 pm

For what it is worth, with all of the new flavor sprays that are out there and available to us now, it makes it really easy to perk up the food on the lean and green and even the flavor of the supplements to make them seem more like "real" food. For example: Have a vanilla shake with the birthday cake spray. If you made the shake in the blender with Ice, it will EASILY fill a 24 ounce cup, if not a 32 ouncer. With the birthday cake spray, it tastes more like a shake or a daquiri or something. Try the parmesean spray on your veggies. It will just pump up the flavor. Then, when you have lost your weight, go off of the plan slowly. You may even want to consider continuing with 2 supplements a day for a long time after reaching goal. You see, when your body spends a lot of time at a certain weight, the more used to that weight it becomes and the harder it is to alter that weight. Therefore, if you have been overweight for a long time, it will take a little longer to lose the weight (it will go fast at first, but then slow down). By the same token, if you can reach goal and maintain for 2 years, then it will increase your chances of staying at the lower weight. I think the whole point of the medifast plan is to keep your body in a CONSTANT calorie burning phase. Since you are eating every three hours, your body doesn't have a chance to stop burning up calories, and thus burns up more fat. Why?? Because with MF you are not consuming as many calories and you are burning. Funny thing about soy protein!! I am not a doctor, and I am not a health advisor. I am just a mom struggling with her weight and trying desperately to understand what is going on with my body. You are fortunate to have found the site before buying the products. I did that too. I stayed on the forum for a couple weeks, made some "friends", and then bit the bullett and bought the products. My advice: Join the forum. It is free. Get a Health Advisor. It is also free. Talk to your health advisor. They will call you, you can call them, you can email them. Get comfortable and get committed BEFORE you spend the money. Anything in life worth having is worth fighting for. That goes for your health too. Having a healthy body is worth the fight. When you are ready to "strap on the gloves", then go for it. We will all be right here cheering you on one step and a time, 100% of the way. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
supermom
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby Guest » April 16th, 2006, 10:04 pm

Thank you both so much for taking the time to give your replies. I put in an order. Now I pray I can stick to the program this time. I think I'll have to use this forum ALOT to get through this!

Thanks

Postby MusicalMomma » April 17th, 2006, 5:32 am

I'll add my two cents. For me, it was just the right time in my life. I had finally dealt with issues and came to a place that I was emotionally ready to do it. I have NOT been 100% compliant, and for me, that has been OK. I emphasise "FOR ME" it's been OK. For some, one cheat sends them in a tail spin and they can't quite seem to recover because they need those quick results and can't handle an upswing of the scale. I used to be like that and that is why I failed every plan I tried. But this time was different. This plan was so easy for me to return to after a day or two off program AND I am happy with my 3 pound per week average, that this is just working for me.

I like that there is not much 'thought' needed for this plan. You make your five packets, have a lean & green from the approved list, maybe a medi-approved snack and wha-la! I don't have to count calories, carb and fat. It's all there.

Is it easy? no. Everyone here has good and bad days. I guess that is why this forum is the added medifast accessory that completes the program. There is support, advice, ideas and healthy debate.

So, congratz on trying again. Please register here on the forum and join our group of losers. We're glad you're here :)
Last edited by MusicalMomma on April 17th, 2006, 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
MusicalMomma
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby falisamarie » April 17th, 2006, 5:32 am

I am really glad to hear that you ordered. If you can stick to the program exactly as written for two weeks the hunger will subside as do the cravings after a while. The difference between this program and conventional "dieting" in my opinion is the nutrition you receive coupled with the quick results, and those quick results are what keep me motivated. I know that for me personally being extremely overwieght that trying those other programs and diets did not work because to see only .5 to 1pd losses week after week made it seem like it would have taken forever to get the weight off that I needed.

I know you will love this program and at first it can be difficult but I will tell you that after 3 months of sticking to it that it has been more than worth it!

I look forward to getting to know you better

Lisa
Start date 1/15/06
falisamarie
Preferred Member - #100 Club
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Postby vacationak » April 17th, 2006, 7:48 am

I needed to lose forty pounds, which because of my height, may well be roughly equivalent to the 60-70 pounds you say you need to lose. I lost some weight before I went on Medifast, but needed the most rapid weight loss I could healthfully do because I don't have the patience to think about dieting, counting calories, and nutrients for the long time it would have taken me to get the rest of the weight off.

From reading this forum, here are my observations. I think the ability to stay on the program is a combination of many things, with one or more things weighing more heavily for different people. True hunger does seem to be helped by the soy protein's natural appetite suppressant qualities. I personally can tell a difference in my hunger levels after eating the products that have more soy protein rather than the whey protein. The rapid weight loss compared to other diets seems to help so much to stay on the program. The ease of the program for many by not having to count calories or points to any great degree seems important. On the Lean and Green plan, you do get to have real food (at least meat and vegetables) once a day. The unusually high weight loss the first week or so on the program (primarily water loss, but still heartening) helps so much psychologically to get and keep the enthusiam level up at the beginning when cravings and habits may be at their strongest. Then clothing starts to be looser. Then compliments from other people noticing the weight loss start being heard. Then a mini-goal is reached. I think these things, coming one after another, help keep people going. The help and encouragement given by this forum can't be underestimated. At some point, old eating habits may be broken or at least controlled - I am the most skeptical about this. I am very concerned about maintenance myself. Lastly, and probably most importantly, you simply have to be ready mentally to do what is necessary to lose your weight, and lose it for the reasons that are important to you. I guess what I am saying is that, because of all the above, I believe it takes less willpower to stay on Medifast than to stay on other diets.
vacationak

Start 1-15-06 145
Start MF 2-3-06 135

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]
vacationak
Regular Member - #30 Club

Postby Arklahoma » April 17th, 2006, 5:03 pm

Welcome to the group! I hope that you'll register on the site and become a regular poster b/c the sense of community that this forum provides is at least half the battle. Best of luck!
Arklahoma
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby kmr » April 18th, 2006, 8:31 am

Thanks everyone for the great feedback. The posts were very inspiring. This forum appears to be a rare find with so many wonderful people on it.
kmr
Preferred member

Hi

Postby dede4wd » April 20th, 2006, 7:38 pm

Hi,
For me it was a choice. I did MF a year ago an lost over 30lbs in six weeks! I started listening to the 5-year-old that lives inside me though. "why can't I have this, that's NOT FAIIIIR." I fell off the wagon, then I got dragged behind the wagon, then the wagon backed over me...twice.

Every week I'd say I'd start again Monday. I never did. I finally said, "that's it, I've had it, I CAN FIX THIS! I found a plan that works and I'm gonna do it!" Then I started...On a TUESDAY!

Right there, I made a commitment that I was going to be 100% compliant to Medifast for ONE MONTH...no cheating, no doctoring, no nothing and see what happened. Know what happened? 27lbs gone happened! I'll tell you what, I didn't need to make that deal with myself the second month!

I'm glad you ordered and I'm glad you registered. We will ALL be here with you to walk through this journey. I promise you, do the plan as written (I suggest 1 month, but 2 weeks is okay!), and you'll do well. No one that knows me believes this, but I now have to set an alarm to remind myself to eat every 3 hourse. Hunger is gone, energy is up, everything's great! It can be for you too. Work the plan and the plan will work for you!

DeDe
Last edited by dede4wd on April 21st, 2006, 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dede4wd

Postby kmr » April 21st, 2006, 7:21 am

DeDe,
Thank you so much for your post. It came at a time when I really needed it. In your post you sounded like me the last time I tried M.F. I kept saying I was going to restart on Monday, but I didn't even get as far as you did losing 30 pounds. Today is the start of day 3 for me and I was really starting to doubt myself. I was thinking, "ok day 3, only between 150 and 180 more days to go until I'm hopefully at a healthy weight!" Then I thought again, "ONLY 150-180 more days??? I barely made it through yesterday when I was cooking dinner for my sons. How the h*ll am I going to do this for 5-6 months?" If I didn't have to be tempted by "real" food when cooking for my family members everynight, I think it would be alot easier, but that's not the case. I know I'm not the only one with this problem. Just hearing from you that it does get easier and the hunger does go away really helps. I think that your goal to just stick to the plan for 1 month is a very smart one. I am going to make the same goal for myself. I see our weight goals are pretty close. Would you mind if we could be Medi-fast buddies and P.M. each other if we needed to? Let me know and thanks again.
kmr
Preferred member

Hi

Postby dede4wd » April 21st, 2006, 7:26 pm

I am HERE FOR YOU! Any time you need me! PM me or my other info is in my profile. You CAN DO THIS!

DeDe
dede4wd

Return to Come on in.