question about seafood

Add your favorite recipes.

question about seafood

Postby lise » April 16th, 2006, 9:55 am

I sometimes see frozen grilled salmon being sold in the supermarket. I'm tempted to try it but not sure if it's legal. I've had a lot of chicken adn turkey (and occasionally beek) but want more variety. Is frozen cod good as well. and mussels? (I love mussels!!)
lise
Trusted Member

Postby Shana » April 16th, 2006, 10:09 am

If you're referring to Salmon in the seafood case, 7oz is legal - if you're referring to something in the Frozen Foods section (like Gortons), just check the nutritional values & ingredients to make sure there are no added fats, sugars, etc. The same is true for cod.

I think Mussels are allowed, and I love them too! BUT... to be perfectly honest, I don't love them enough to take all the little suckers out of their shells and weigh them! I think you would need at least 1.5-2lbs of mussels on the shell to get the full 7oz of actual protein. If you're up for doing all that work, I think you should be fine :)

Start Date: Thursday April 6th, 2006
Age 27
Height 5'2 (and 1/4, thank you very much!)
Shana
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Postby Pashta » April 17th, 2006, 6:20 am

Tilapia (fish) is GREAT, doesn't taste fishy and is extremely low cal and almost no fat. Give that a try too. :)
- Tonia

Start: 03/20/06 (restart 3/19/07)
3 kids: 3 mos, 18 mos, 11 yrs old
Month 1: -4.4,-0.8,-4.0,-2.2 (-11.4, -7 in.)
Month 2: -1.6,-1.6,-3.4
Pashta
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby Nancy » April 17th, 2006, 10:53 pm

Pashta, I agree with you about Tilapia - thumbs up! :thumbsup: I usually broil it or George it on our Foreman grill. It's gr-r-r-eat! We had it baked inparchment paper with vegetables at Red Lobster and I duplicated it here at the old MakeMeThinner Cottage.

I put some green pepper, onion, broc, zuke slices, some spices, a slab of Tilapia and three thin lemon slices, fold it over, twist the edges and bake for 15-20 minutes. Yummuh!

Shana, you are :hi5: right-on when it comes to reading the labels on frozen entrees. Many prepared food items are breaded and we don't want to add extra carbs to our meal plan as it can put us out of the fat-burning state.

Try to select fresh fish whenever possible. It doesn't take long to cook fish so it makes a healthy meal in a hurry.

We try to cook fish outdoors on the barby whenever possible but the weather here has been so :lightening: skanky that I have to wrap Terry in a plastic sheet to keep him dry and tether him to the deck to keep him from blowing in the breeze!

:hmmm: The only thing I don't like about indoor grilling/baking with fish or seafood is to have our home smell ishy-fishy. Gagga-mun-do!
:puke:
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club

Postby SPMUSTANG » April 18th, 2006, 8:55 am

We eat tons of fish, especially salmon. I get it at Sam's Club in bulk. What I do is spray both sides with Pam, then sprinkle both sides with seasoned salt (one without sugar) and garlic lemon or lemon pepper seasoning (go light on the lemon pepper seasoning or it will be nasty). Bake for about 20 minutes until it flakes with a fork. Our girls (ages 2 and 4) LOVE it and request it often. I make tilapia the same way or will lightly "sautee" it in a skillet (with Pam) and put on a squirt of I can't believe it's not butter. The girls call tilapia "white salmon" and they also ask for it often.
SPMUSTANG
Regular Member - #70 Club

Postby MusicalMomma » April 18th, 2006, 9:01 am

How long do you cook Tilapia on the George Forman and at what temp? I have a Hamilton Beach grill that has low-med-high settings (and settings in between). I've never been a fish eater, but everyone tells me that Tilapia isn't "fishy" and has a wonderful flavor. Help me out with my first fish endeavor please :)
MusicalMomma
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby Ct. Yankee » April 19th, 2006, 7:11 am

On the Foreman, cook tilapia(3/4 inch thick) 5 minutes on the grill for well done, 4 minutes for medium. So says the booklet which came with my new Foreman. I, lightly Pam-spray the grill first. Hope this helps! :D

Joan
Ct. Yankee
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby Nancy » April 20th, 2006, 11:19 pm

Yup, it doesn't take very long at all for fish on the George. 5-7 minutes usually. I like mine a bit crispy, my husband prefers his moist so his filet comes off the grill first.

The thickness of the filet determines the length of time. I try to get filets that are uniform in thickness so it cooks evenly. Mazola makes a nice olive oil non-stick spray and I like it.
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy

Return to Lean Cuisine