Possible health risks ?

Introduce yourself to the forum.
(Guests Welcome)

Possible health risks ?

Postby donna jean » March 16th, 2004, 3:42 pm

Hi everyone,

I have a question that I need answered and I was wondering if anyone out there could help me.
I have been reading alot about Medifast and I am sooooooo Happy with my results:)
But....... I keep reading that if you are on the complete fast that you must have a doctor to watch you due to possible health risks?
Okay here is were I need your help. What risk are there,and If there are risks,what exactly are the risk of the complete plan?
I've been faithful to this plan for 29 days now and I have my blood presure taken everyday, not to mention my blood sugar. All looks great but the more I read that line that states health risks, I tend to start worrying.
I had all my blood work done but I'm still wondering what they mean.
If anyone knows the answer to this I would be so Happy:)

Thank You,
Hope everyone is doing great :D [/b]
Donna Jean
donna jean

Possible Health Risks

Postby Lisa CHA » March 18th, 2004, 11:09 am

Donna Jean,

You can call the TSFL Advise Nurse to get medical answers at 877-270-5704, but I'll try to answer the best I can. I am a Certified Health Advisor with Take Shape for Life (a division of Medifast). I am also a 30 pound loser that has an auto-immune disorder and a former low-thyroid sufferer.
With any weight loss program it is recommended that you see a doctor before starting. Anytime you make drastic changes in your exercise or diet you are altering your body chemistry. Since the complete program is a more drastic change, a doctor should be made aware of the program you are on, so the doctor can monitor how it affects your body, especially if you are on medication.
Actually, it's a positive that you should be supervised by a doctor, because the most common "problem" that patients experience is reduced or eliminated medications. If you continue to take the same doseage as before starting the program and your diatetes or blood pressure medication needs to be reduced and/or eliminated, but you continue to take it, you will feel some unwanted side-effects.
The other thing that can be a concern on the complete program is suddenly going off the program with fatty foods. This can be really hard on the digestive system. Make sure that you talk to your Health Advisor about the Transition plan. You can also find information on this Forum.
Your electolytes could also get out of balance if you don't drink enough water, so make sure you drink at least 64 ounces a day (throughout the day).
Personally, everyone I know on the complete Medifast program (including 9 of my family members), have had only improved health from going on the program! So, your main reason to go to your doctor, is to be on the safe side. But, what will most likely happen, is the doctor will be impressed by your progress and congratulate you!

The health benefits have been overwhelming in my family. So, just look forward to your new health and lifestyle. :D

Here for your success,
Lisa CHA
Lisa CHA

Postby Jeanette » March 18th, 2004, 12:06 pm

What happened here??????????
Jeanette :star:
(340) 325/300/180
"Discipline is simply choosing between what you want now and what you want the most."--Unknown
PROGRESS, not PERFECTION
Jeanette
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Postby HD » March 19th, 2004, 2:51 pm

Jeanette wrote:What happened here??????????

I'm with you Jeanette, What Happened Here?
Jackie (HD)

01/24/2004
193/151/124
HD
Trusted Member - #40 Club

Postby swedishgirl » March 20th, 2004, 9:24 am

Donna Jean-
I understand your concerns about your health. I, too, had concerns before I started the full program on January 2nd, 2004. I was suffering from knee pain that had almost become debilitating, extreme fatigue and blood pressure so high, my doctor was concerned about me experiencing a stroke at any time. I had a complete physical before beginning, required by my doctor, she researched the Medifast product and was comfortble that the program was safe and offered me more and better nutrition than my poor eating habits were providing. I started on high blood pressure medicine for the first time in my life three weeks before I began Medifast and after just two weeks on the program coupled with the medicine, my blood pressure had dropped 40 points. After one month, she cut my medicine dosage in half. I just had my monthly physical on Tuesday and my blood pressure was 110/70. My doctor said that if the reading is that good next month, she will take me off the medicine. My knees feel better than they have in years and I have lost 60 pounds! Logical thinking says nothing can be worse for your health than being obese and even a small loss will improve your health. Work closely with a doctor and you will feel even better about the program. Best of everything to you!
Swedishgirl.
swedishgirl
Regular Member - #80 Club

Postby Unca_Tim » March 20th, 2004, 12:06 pm

Thanks for the reply Lisa...:)

Jeanette wrote:What happened here??????????

The cyber bugs got in here and duplicated Lisa's reply. I removed the dups.

Unca
Unca_Tim
Site Admin

Postby Jeanette » March 21st, 2004, 7:45 am

Thanks Tim--the clean-up is appreciated!
Jeanette :star:
(340) 325/300/180
"Discipline is simply choosing between what you want now and what you want the most."--Unknown
PROGRESS, not PERFECTION
Jeanette
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Return to Come on in.