Plateaus - a fact of life

Post your weight loss successes or failures here...:)

Postby TheShadow » July 21st, 2006, 3:31 pm

Jo,
Thank you so much for that info. It really helps. I'm doing a little plateau of my own right now and I wasn't planning to freak out, but now I feel that I am just that much more re-inforced. You are such an inspiration to see how far you have come. Your example of patience and perseverance will help me along the way.

Tammy
200.5/179/132
TheShadow
TheShadow
Preferred Member - #30 Club

Postby Serendipity » July 21st, 2006, 6:38 pm

JennP wrote:So Jo what keeps you strong? How do you not get discouraged when you have gone 10+ days with no change? I know now you probably have hindsight on your side but when you first started what made you stick it out?

Jenn,

At first it was desparation. I simply had to find a way to lose weight and after I decided to use Medifast again, it was a no brainer that I would stick to it. I had to stick to it because in my mind, it was my last chance. My mind was in the right place, so it was easy.

Then as the weight came off, my motivation was that I was feeling so good, so much better, and I was shrinking. I guess I had an advantage in that I knew that Medifast works because I had used it before. I didn't question it.

The plateaus were just part of it. I found, as I weighed daily, that there was a pattern....kind of related to my cycle. Go through this cycle enough times and plateaus became nonevents.

I didn't even realize, until I posted it here, that I had a plateau in July. I couldn't tell you how many day's it's been since I had a loss because I don't think about it. I'm just a little happier on mornings when there is a loss. Other days, I just get on with my day and don't think about it.

I know it's not that easy for everyone. I think that some people aren't prepared mentally for this huge change in lifestyle. I took years to get where I needed to be mentally. I am a slow learner, I guess. I periodically kick myself for waiting so long, but really, would it have worked so well for me if I had started sooner? I'll never know.
jo
276/135 since December 1, 2006
"Grandma, how did you make yourself so little?", My grandson, Jake
Serendipity
Preferred Member - #140 Club

Hi

Postby dede4wd » July 21st, 2006, 8:50 pm

Jo,
Your post was amazing! I was the biggest whiner during my first plateau (I know...you remember!) My second...I had to send the scale away because I was obsessing. Now I know that plateaus are part of the process and I'm okay with them. I may not like them, but I know I'm readjusting and that it's all good, thanks so much for going to all that trouble and thanks for the inspiration!

DeDe
dede4wd
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby Serendipity » July 22nd, 2006, 6:59 am

I slept on my above answer and feel the need to add:

After the initial 20 pounds or so, there was an overwhelming sense of hope that I hadn't experienced in my years and years of trying other things. The feeling that you are really going to succeed is a great motivator!
jo
276/135 since December 1, 2006
"Grandma, how did you make yourself so little?", My grandson, Jake
Serendipity

Postby Prancer » July 22nd, 2006, 7:25 am

Thank you Jo for your reply. I really find the knowledge of the long time users like you so helpful (Man I just made you sound like a crack addict or something, sorry). I think one thing that all of us newbies take time to learn is that the scale is part of what is weighing us down in the begining. It almost holds me back at times. Staying the same day to day or gaining can derail us if we dont have an attitude like yours. Thank you for posting all this
Prancer
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby Diana » July 22nd, 2006, 10:05 am

Serendipity wrote:After the initial 20 pounds or so, there was an overwhelming sense of hope that I hadn't experienced in my years and years of trying other things. The feeling that you are really going to succeed is a great motivator!

That's it right there, Jo! And the reality that my sister, who had started about 2 months ahead of me, had lost about 50 lbs. And compared with my progress on other plans, I'm SOARING!!

I am armed and ready, though, for when the plateau comes. I know it won't be permanent. Besides, aren't plateaus great places to jump from for such great adventures as, say, hang gliding??

Again, thanks, Jo, for your generous spirit and delightful wit!
Here's to our mutual success! :buddies: --Diana
Diana
Preferred Member - #120 Club
Preferred Member - #120 Club

Previous

Return to The Weight Room