PICKLES

Add your favorite recipes.

PICKLES

Postby katieb920 » July 15th, 2006, 5:26 pm

I love Pickles I just bought 2 of the gigantic ones from the local deli. Am I aloud to eat pickles (the pickles are for my son but they look so good)
:)
Katie
katieb920
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Postby DogMa » July 15th, 2006, 5:36 pm

I believe the current rule is two spears a day as your snack.
Robin

203/130/130
Reached goal in August 2006
Added BodyBugg in May 2009
New ticker: 136.6/123.2/130
DogMa
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby sidrah » July 15th, 2006, 6:36 pm

I just bought a Boars Head one from the deli and sliced it up and am having some of it as I type!!!!!
Don't really care as long as everything's better than yesterday was...

@}---- @}---- @}---- @}----
sidrah
Preferred member

Postby electra000 » July 18th, 2006, 10:29 am

I tried the Vlasic Bread & Butter pickles sweetened with splenda last night for the first time. They tasted too good to be legal ! Just wondering if these are o.k. to have??? :?:
electra000
Preferred member

Pickle Girl

Postby alohacate » July 18th, 2006, 1:11 pm

I am such a dill pickle girl! I can't answer your ?, but I think the rule is to eat just a spear (this is my weakness and I eat the whole pickle). I'm working on this!!
Height: 5'10 Age: 38 Start Date:6/24/06
51 pounds gone forever -I'm bringing sexy back
alohacate
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby Janae » July 18th, 2006, 2:45 pm

Electra-
I know Nancy has mentioned eating those Bread and Butter pickles you mentioned...but I'm not sure if it's OK on the weight loss or just for maintenance. Is the nutrition count much different than dill pickles?

Janae
Janae
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby electra000 » July 18th, 2006, 3:27 pm

Hey Janae, I will have to look on the jar tonight. It seems like the serving size was 5 pieces and they had 5 calories and 1 carb. I will look tonight when I get home and let you know ! :D
electra000
Preferred member

Postby Nancy » July 20th, 2006, 7:27 am

Hi there, Pickle Fans!

Yes, those of you on the weight loss phase may certainly enjoy those Vlasic Bread & Butter Pickle spears sweetened with Splenda. They are large spears with 5 cals per spear and 1 carb. 2 or 3 if you are desperate are ok.

Medifast suggests 1-2 dill pickles for a snack. Just remember having the extra sodium will cause some people to retain fluid. Drink plenty of water to flush it out. Some dills have as much as 900 mg of sodium...

Regarding those big hog deli pickles...those are humongous!

Sheesh! If ya have to cut the thing to get it into your mouth, it's way too big! When we say 1-2 dills, we're talking about the 'normal' size pickle here...that's like my husband looking into the refrigerator for a snack and seeing a bowl of Jell-O and eating the entire bowl - "Well, Baby, it was just a SINGLE serving..." (When I make Jell-O, I make a double batch - his 'single' serving was really meant for 8 people. The deli dills are meant for several people, Folks! Or for several servings. I’d say there are three days worth in one of those!

Please do not write and ask me if you can have one third of a deli dill or one half of a deli dill...just use common sense here.

Look at a 'normal' dill - I home can killer garlic dills and mine are quite large - I get cukes that are about 4-5 inches long and as big around as a couple of my fingers pressed together. The jar of store-boughts in my refer are Mrs. Neusihin's natural no preservatives Kosher dills. The stats: 3/4 pickle (1 ounce) 5 cals / 400 mg sodium/ 1 gram carbs It is rather typical and what we're looking for. If ya have some of the Vlasic Tabasco dills (Oh, they’re good!), have 2-3 of them just like the Bread & Butters.

Happy noshing!
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club

Postby electra000 » July 20th, 2006, 7:57 am

Thanks Nancy !! I love the bread and butter slices ! :lol:
electra000
Preferred member

Postby Janae » July 20th, 2006, 10:02 am

Ditto the Thanks, Nancy! Now...where's my grocery list....? :)

Janae
Janae

Pickle Girl

Postby alohacate » July 20th, 2006, 10:18 am

Pickle girl thanks you for the info!
Height: 5'10 Age: 38 Start Date:6/24/06
51 pounds gone forever -I'm bringing sexy back
alohacate
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby Aerie » July 21st, 2006, 5:45 am

Tabasco Dills? How on earth did I not know about these. Yikes! I going to the store right now.......
Aerie

Postby Sarya » July 21st, 2006, 6:21 am

what I need to find are sweet and hot garlic habenero pickles (cucumber pickles with the rest as flavoring) made with splenda. This place in Ohio called Grandpa's Cheesebarn makes these pickles (with sugar) and they are my absolutel favorite. I love eating them with Grandpa's pickled beets, and sharp cheese. MMM. Maybe I should figure out how to make my own, but I'm not sure. I've never been one to experiment with preserving foods as in pickling, making jam, etc. But it could be fun.
Sarya

Postby Nancy » July 25th, 2006, 10:54 pm

Oh, those sound excellent! I love hotsy totsy things. Yummer sweet & hot pickles. I have never had habanera pickles - yet...I use several red chili pepper per quart when I make mine. I’ll have to try some habaneras. I don’t make sweet pickles, just dills. We buy habanera stuffed green olives at the farmers market here in Vancouver from the Olive Lady. They are great. She also sells habanera flavored onions – excellent! It takes just one or two to brighten your day and to burn your buds off!
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy

Postby supermom » July 25th, 2006, 11:21 pm

It is really easy to make your own sweet hot pickles. Just buy a jar of hamburger dill slices. Depending on the size of the jar you buy will determine the amount of splenda to add. I buy the big gallon jar and add 4 cups of splenda. Yes, it is a lot, but that is a lot of pickles, too. Then, you add your hot stuff. Use tabasco sauce, dried chile peppers, habanero sauce, whatever you like. The more you add, the hotter they are. I add a whole bottle of habanero sauce. You will need about 2 cups of water for the gallon size jar. Drain all the juice from the pickles. Add the splenda, and push through with a wooden spoon. Alternate the sugar and the pepper. Last, add the water. Only add as much water as the jar will allow. Put the lid back on the jar and close tightly. Put in a cool dry place and every day, rotate them. (Day one, right side up, day two, upside down, day three right side up, etc.) Do this for 10 days. At the end of 10 days, you can seal them up in your own smaller jars. They are easy to seal. The instructions are on the box. You can buy a 12 pack of pint jars with lids and rims here at the dollar store for $3. These are really good, and sooooo easy. I give them as gifts a lot of times.
supermom

Next

Return to Lean Cuisine