An Open Letter to all the "Newbies"...

Need a lift? Drop in to see some of our most popular posts.

An Open Letter to all the "Newbies"...

Postby mellowmom » January 8th, 2007, 8:29 pm

There are so many newbies joining this month. It reminds me of where I was this time last year. Maybe some of the other "old timers" would like to add on this and let those just starting out know whats helped us get to where we are today.

I was going to be going to a convention in Orlando and was going to extend my time away for a little R & R in Disney World. What I learned on that trip was the ugly truth. I could barely carry around my 300+ pound body around one of the parks, let alone all four. Wound up having to rent one of those electric carts to take me around because there was no way I was going to be able to walk around the park without going on oxygen or having to sit down and rest every few minutes.

I remember being embarassed to have to rent one of those electric scooters...everyone else that seemed to need them were a good 10-20 years older than me. So, I'd mutter something about having "knee surgery" (<--a lie), to the cashier as I paid for my ECV to carry me through the different lands. I even developed a fake limp!!! That's what being so overweight and out of shape had reduced me to...lying and limping to cover up my embarassment at needing assistance to get around Disney World. (Walter Brennan would've been proud... ;) )

Whenever I thought of giving up on this Medifast program, (and despite my success so far, there were many times when I'd feel like chucking the whole thing and going back to the "good old days" of fried foods, and rich chocolately desserts and bread and chips,) I'd remember how I felt that day in Disney World, and how I never wanted to feel so badly about my physical shape again that I needed to lie to cover up my embarassment.

I guess what I'm saying is what's helped me to get as far as I have is to hold on to that one really embarassing moment last year, when I realized that I was no longer just "big boned", or "pleasantly plump" (and pleasing more people every day...), but rather in a serious life and death battle to not just "look good", but to be healthy and able to live life as it is meant to be lived, as an active participant and not someone just sitting on the sidelines with some pompoms, a beer and a hot dog.

And it's worked so far. And the time has flown. When I started in March of '06 I'd planned to be at goal by Thanksgiving, but it's past that, and I'm still on it, and I'm fine with that. If you stick with it, then the time it takes to get to your goal will take a back seat to how great you feel while getting there. Half the fun is enjoying the compliments and the NSV (non-scale victories) that will come each day. The longer you stay at it, the more they will come your way.

Sorry to be so long-winded, but I'm seeing all these newbies out there and I wish I could fast forward you to where I am right now...but again, it's all been worth the wait and the ride...enjoy it, live it, shake it and be stirred.

Carmel
Shaken AND Stirred
3/24/06
5'8" 334/213/165
Re-started 1/7/09
5'8" 325/165
mellowmom
Preferred Member - #120 Club

Postby 2getskinny » January 8th, 2007, 8:33 pm

Thank you for sharing that! It reminds me so much of last summer vacation when we went to California and did Walt Disney and Sea World and the dreaded Beach. I am so glad I have re-started today. Everything you said is SO TRUE! I want to be healthy again and feel good again!

Thanks so much for sharing.
2getskinny
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Postby Lucy » January 8th, 2007, 9:02 pm

I for one thinks this needs to be saved in the elevator or at the top for all to read. I know I for one have been in the same embarrassing state...I REALLY appreciate your honesty and motivation. Thank you!
Discipline is the art of choosing between what you want now, and what you want the most.
Lucy

Postby Loribug » January 8th, 2007, 9:21 pm

VERY INSPIRATIONAL!

been there done that

Did you also notice how people treated you in that hov-a-round chair? I rented one at sea world 2 years ago and the people were so rude.
Loribug
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby mellowmom » January 9th, 2007, 9:39 am

Hi Lori,

Yes....it was very demeaning. I felt like they were judging me because of my size, and dismissing me as a fat woman who was merely too lazy to walk. And they treated me accordingly.

It was very painful, yet, turned out to be a crucial turning point for me, a trigger of sorts. While it hurt at the moment, I'm grateful that it did happen and caused me to weigh (no pun intended) my options and decide to head down the Medifast path to health.

Carmel
Shaken AND Stirred
3/24/06
5'8" 334/213/165
Re-started 1/7/09
5'8" 325/165
mellowmom

Postby MusicalMomma » January 18th, 2007, 7:56 am

Hey Carmel! What an inspiring letter!! Thank you! You are such an inspiring lady in every way!

I too had to rent a scooter at Disney last march, on the last day of our vacation. And I had been on medifast and was around 250 at the time. I had been so sick for most of the vacation, my husband insisted that I get on or else we would skip the park that day. Well let me tell you, I too suddenly developed a limp! It was so embarrassing, but I just couldn't let the kids down. You would think that would have been enough to keep me on program! I keep thinking how I would be at goal now and feeling wonderful if I had stuck to it! But, I am resolved, that by my 40th birthday (Aug 2, 2008) I will be FIT and forty...not FAT and forty!!!!

Thanks again for the inspiration... I am in serious carb withdrawal right now and your letter is getting me through it :)
MusicalMomma
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby Serendipity » January 18th, 2007, 9:29 am

Reading this reminded me of one of my most embarassing moments.....

Friends had a birthday party for me at their home on the river. We went out on their speed boat. My friend's husband kept looking back at the back of the boat with a puzzled look and after several minutes, asked me to move to the middle of the boat from my seat at the side. (OMG, I wanted to jump off) I was one of the most awful moments in my life. To make matters worse, the boat started taking on water.....I'm not sure if it was me or not that caused that, but you all know that I blame myself.

Prepared for any and all future boat rides!!!!! :mrgreen:
jo
276/135 since December 1, 2006
"Grandma, how did you make yourself so little?", My grandson, Jake
Serendipity
Preferred Member - #140 Club
Preferred Member - #140 Club

Postby hulagirlfromhawaii » January 19th, 2007, 12:50 pm

Speaking of Disney! My experience was this summer when we took the kids. First of all, I had to buy all new clothes for the trip because none of my pants could zip, I was so fat. Even the new pants I wore on the plane were digging into my stomach because the waist was still too tight ( I was in denial about how much bigger size I was, thinking I would lose weight on the trip, HA! :| ) I should have bought pants one size bigger!!! :roll:

When we got there, everyone went on a shopping spree at one of the outlet malls.. What did I buy, a new pair of walking shoes and some gel soles in them, because my heels were hurting so badly, and we didn't even get to the park yet...... HOLY CAMOLY!!!! THAT IS PATHETIC!! The whole time, I avoided the camera and recorder, cause I did NOT want to be in any pictures to remind myself how fat I was. I regret it now, because I had to search far and wide for a picture for my before and afters.

I was so miserable and disgusted with myself that I started MF as soon as we came back from that trip, and I never looked back. It has been the best thing I ever did for myself! Did I tell you I love MF! :mrgreen:
Kanani

165/146.5/125
hulagirlfromhawaii
Preferred Member - #20 Club

inspirational

Postby oregonrose » August 25th, 2007, 2:57 pm

Thanks for your honesty. I think we all have the moments we want to forget - till we use them to motivate ourselves to lose the lbs! I work at a school and several of the kids started calling me Mrs X -by mistake - I realized it was because I was the same size as her! - It was like seeing myself in a mirror - I also recently had to go on blood pressure meds - an eyeopener for sure.
Knowledge is power
oregonrose

Re: An Open Letter to all the "Newbies"...

Postby Health4Me » January 1st, 2012, 3:19 pm

This is an older post, but new to me, and I'm glad I found it. So inspirational! I hope mellowmom is still enjoying her success! :wave:
Health4Me

Return to The Elevator