Numbness/Soreness in My Left Arm

Questions/Comments about Weight loss Products.

Numbness/Soreness in My Left Arm

Postby LosingIt » February 13th, 2007, 12:41 pm

Your LEFT arm you say - Yikes!

Well, seems like my heart and blood pressure are just dandy so no big worries about the ole ticker.

Yesterday evening I started feeling soreness in my left forearm. During the evening it spread upwards to my elbow and finally all the way to my upper arm.

I know I really should have gone to see someone right away but I didn't have shortness of breath or a rapid heart beat so I decided to sleep it off.

When I woke up this morning, it was pretty much gone except for some lingering soreness.

I decided to see a doctor this afternoon and told him about my arm pain and also told him about the diet I am on.

He measured my blood pressure (turned out fine which shocked me given my weight and the fact that I smoke) and also checked out my heart and gave that a passing grade as well.

He has asked me to come in tomorrow morning for blood work and to provide a urine sample. I have to fast for 10-12 hours before this which is why I have to wait until tomorrow.

I am doing the 5+1 but eating only chicken breast, salmon, tuna steaks or shrimp for my lean portion. These are always in the 5oz range even though I know I can go to 7oz. I've been having at least 1 cup of veggies every day as well. I know I should be doing 1.5 cups but measuring some of these veggies is impossible with a measuring cup and I'm trying to err on the side of "not knocking myself out of ketosis".

I am drinking LOTS of water. Between 140-160 ounces a day. I've increased my water intake because I'm having a hard time dropping the kids off at the pool if you know what I mean. I'm also taking 2 teaspoons of sugar free Metamucil a day.

Anyhow, I'm not overly concerned now that I know my heart and blood pressure are fine. I will obviously wait for the results of the blood work and follow my doctor's advice for adding any supplements to my diet.

I was just curious - has anyone else experienced anything similar to this? Do any of the health professionals on the board have some sense as to what this might be?
Start Date: 01/25/07
LosingIt

Re: Numbness/Soreness in My Left Arm

Postby Mike » February 13th, 2007, 1:16 pm

LosingIt wrote:I am doing the 5+1 but eating only chicken breast, salmon, tuna steaks or shrimp for my lean portion. These are always in the 5oz range even though I know I can go to 7oz. I've been having at least 1 cup of veggies every day as well. I know I should be doing 1.5 cups but measuring some of these veggies is impossible with a measuring cup and I'm trying to err on the side of "not knocking myself out of ketosis".

I was just curious - has anyone else experienced anything similar to this? Do any of the health professionals on the board have some sense as to what this might be?

First, congrats on the healthy heart and good BP. As for your lean, if you are reducing your protein intake to 5 oz instead of 7, or 5 oz of lean hamburger or something like that. You may want to think about getting a little more protein in. Perhaps a small amount of lowfat parmesan or something. We need that protein to ensure that we do not lose muscle on this plan. Another option might be to have a 70 shake instead of a 55.

Second, the veggies are an important part of the diet. I really doubt that 1/2 c of veggies (unless its all onion, which again, I doubt) would knock you out of ketosis. Especially if you are following the plan, and drinking ALL of that water. Veggies are also important, especially the green ones, for helping cholesterol. They provide much needed fiber, fatty acids, and other things to maintain your system properly.

Third, I'm not sure how many people on the board are actual health professionals... I know there are a few nurses. As for the numbness, I did experience migraines when I was a teen that involved numbness spreading up my arm, then tunnel vision, then a really bad headache. Since you didn't experience the tunnel vision and headache, I would guess that's not it. Can't really say I have any idea what it was, other than perhaps a temporarily pinched nerve.

Hope this helped.
:mrgreen:
Last edited by Mike on February 13th, 2007, 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pre WLS 460
Low after WLS 300
Start of MF 350
Previous MF low 280
Restart MF 330

I have to be careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business.
Mike
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby LosingIt » February 13th, 2007, 1:31 pm

Thanks for your reply Mike. I will try and be more accurate with my L&G measurements as you suggested.

My doctor did some groping on my arm and I got the impression he was ruling out a pinched nerve which is why he ordered up the blood work.

Anyhow, I was wondering if maybe this is a common symptom of a lack of certain nutrients. But I will wait for the results of the blood work and see what turns up.
LosingIt

Postby Ct. Yankee » February 13th, 2007, 4:35 pm

Hi, nurses ARE health professionals! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anyway, it is good that you sought advice from your doctor, Losing It. The blood work can rule out many problems, one being cardiac. Pain in the left arm is not always present in many cardiac conditions, nor are abnormal vital signs. There are many diagnostic perimeters which must be ruled out. Glad you and your physician are keeping check of it, and I wish you well, in that everything will be found to be absolutely normal. Bless! :)
Joan
Ct. Yankee

Postby GucciGoo » February 13th, 2007, 4:44 pm

You are drinking 20 glasses of water a day???
BETH formerly known as Dark & Stormy
GucciGoo
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby bikipatra » February 13th, 2007, 5:25 pm

DarkAndStormy wrote:You are drinking 20 glasses of water a day???

Does seem un peu de trop. Water is great in large amounts but in too large amounts it washes away things we need.
Restart Date: January 1, 2010
12/31/09 226.8
226.8/218/135
bikipatra
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Postby LosingIt » February 13th, 2007, 5:29 pm

Well based on my weight, I am drinking a minimum of 130-140 ounces. I've seen it posted on here to take your weight and divide by two.

I added extra because of my constipation problem and also because I've got a bit of the cotton mouth thing going on.

Maybe I will try to cut back a bit on my water intake.

Thanks for the words of encouragement Ct. Yankee. I'm hoping it will turn out to be nothing too.
LosingIt

Postby bikipatra » February 13th, 2007, 5:32 pm

Rather than listen to our opinions, I would check with my doctor about water intake, specifically in mind of the symptoms you have been having. Hate to get too graphic but if water was going to help your constipation, as it does for many, I imagine the first 100 or so ounces would do it.
Last edited by bikipatra on February 13th, 2007, 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Restart Date: January 1, 2010
12/31/09 226.8
226.8/218/135
bikipatra

Postby Mike » February 13th, 2007, 5:36 pm

Ct. Yankee wrote:Hi, nurses ARE health professionals! :lol: :lol: :lol:

After going back and re-reading how I posted that, I feel bad. I know that nurses are health professionals, and I am aghast that I said it the way I posted it.
My bad :oops:
Pre WLS 460
Low after WLS 300
Start of MF 350
Previous MF low 280
Restart MF 330

I have to be careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business.
Mike

Arm numbness and water

Postby fairladyj » February 14th, 2007, 2:11 pm

I would second those who voiced concern about the amount of water - too much water can unbalance the electrolytes (minerals) in the blood, which can disrupt the heart. It is possible to die from drinking too much water in a short time period - it is called "water intoxication". Not meaning to scare anyone, and not speaking as a health professional, but please make sure you communicate ALL the info to your Dr.
Jennifer in Michigan

If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got!
fairladyj
Trusted Member - #10 Club

Postby Mike » February 14th, 2007, 2:25 pm

I would say that the rule about drinking water in the amount of ounces per day equal to half your body weight is a good idea for someone who is at a good functional weight. A 6' man weighing 200 lbs, 100 oz is about right. However, a 6' 400 lb man drinking 200 oz a day can definitely be dangerous.
Just be very careful with the excessive water intake. For someone overweight, 64 oz should definitely be a minimum and then upwards of 120-140 oz would probably be a good limit. Don't overdo it, as you wash out the potassium and sodium which is extremely important in neural transmission systems.

This is my own opinion, as stated, check with your physician.

:mrgreen:
Pre WLS 460
Low after WLS 300
Start of MF 350
Previous MF low 280
Restart MF 330

Mike

Postby LosingIt » February 14th, 2007, 4:36 pm

Thanks for the additional advice. I will discuss my water intake with my doctor as soon as I see him again. I have cut back a bit today so I'm drinking no more than about 120 oz.

I couldn't go in for my blood work today because of the snow storm so I will do it tomorrow.

Doing Medifast is the best thing I've ever done for myself and I just don't want to screw up and cause myself any physical ailments.

If one good thing came out of this, it has scared me into finally quitting smoking. And all day I've been pretty much :x

If anyone else has successfully quit smoking while on Medifast, please assure me I will survive. ;)
LosingIt

Return to Weight Loss