Nova

1 Thread per registered User.

Postby Nova » January 5th, 2007, 11:15 pm

Something else I've been doing lately is telling myself that I'm normal. In whatever situation I find myself, I think in my head, "I'm normal. I look like a normal person, I'm a normal size, I'm eating what a normal person eats." At dinner tonight, I didn't worry about walking between the crowded chairs because I knew I would fit. As I sat down with my little soup, salad and half sandwich, I thought to myself, this is a normal, healthy eat-out meal. (ANd I skipped half the bread on the sandwich).

I admit to stopping at Godiva and buying a single piece of chocolate because I still kinda wanted that slice of cheesecake that I passed by earlier tonight. But I know it had a lot less calories than the cheesecake would have. And I didn't feel guilty or self-conscious buying the chocolate. I felt like no one was judging me, saying to themselves, what's that fat chick doing buying chocolate? She shouldn't be stuffing her face with that. She should be out running.

Those thoughts and fears are almost entirely gone, and it's so incredibly freeing. As for the Godiva chocolate, it really wasn't that great. It was tasty, but it wasn't the orgasm of chocolate love I had been expecting after no chocolates for 10 months. I think I could easily pass up chocolates again for a long, long time. I enjoy eating my fruit salad and clementine oranges more.
244/171

Would you rather eat what you want, or wear what you want?
Nova
Preferred Member - 80# Club

Postby Serendipity » January 6th, 2007, 2:28 am

I'm loving clementines.....they're so nice right now.

I always read your journal, Nova, trying to get some motivation to exercise more. I've got to admit that I can't relate to much, if any, of your exercise enthusiasm, but it may rub off somewhere. I'm just a weak girly girl.
jo
276/135 since December 1, 2006
"Grandma, how did you make yourself so little?", My grandson, Jake
Serendipity
Preferred Member - #140 Club
Preferred Member - #140 Club

Postby bikipatra » January 6th, 2007, 3:22 am

Nova wrote:Those thoughts and fears are almost entirely gone, and it's so incredibly freeing. As for the Godiva chocolate, it really wasn't that great. It was tasty, but it wasn't the orgasm of chocolate love I had been expecting after no chocolates for 10 months. I think I could easily pass up chocolates again for a long, long time. I enjoy eating my fruit salad and clementine oranges more.

Did you have one of their truffles? Now those are the best!
Restart Date: January 1, 2010
12/31/09 226.8
226.8/218/135
bikipatra
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Postby Nova » January 6th, 2007, 7:59 am

bikipatra wrote:
Did you have one of their truffles? Now those are the best!

Yeah, I had a small bite of my husband's truffle. I have to admit, I like Lindt better. Or I did. Been a long time since I had those either.
244/171

Nova

Postby Nova » January 6th, 2007, 8:48 am

Serendipity wrote:I'm loving clementines.....they're so nice right now.

I always read your journal, Nova, trying to get some motivation to exercise more. I've got to admit that I can't relate to much, if any, of your exercise enthusiasm, but it may rub off somewhere. I'm just a weak girly girl.

Well, the one who really inspires me is Lauren. She says she runs 6 times a week. And I know another woman doing MF who's lost over 120 pounds and she does yoga, lifts weights and does cardio 6 times a week. They're inspiring to me. I'm just trying to make it a part of my life, like brushing my teeth.
244/171

Nova

Postby Nova » January 6th, 2007, 7:16 pm

I finally watched _Super Size Me_ tonight. I'd heard about it, but I watched it tonight and wow. My eyes were :shock: the entire time. ANd to think, I almost went to McD's today for lunch thinking I could get a salad. (I know. Just this week I was talking about how I'd never go out for fast food, but I ran out of time this morning to prepare) Anyway, I thought about it, but we kept going til we found a BBQ place and I had smoked turkey and cole slaw, the best veggie they had. Now I'm resolved that I'll go hungry for days rather than eat at McDs or any other fast food place, with the possible exception of Subway.

If you haven't seen the movie, rent it. It'll kill your fast food cravings dead.
244/171

Nova

Postby Karli » January 6th, 2007, 7:39 pm

Ooooohhhh, thanks for the tip, Nova. I haven't watched it yet but your suggestion makes me want to go out and rent it right now for tonight !

Sounds like you did great today :).

Cheers,
Karli
Karli
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby Nova » January 8th, 2007, 5:56 pm

Started week 5 on my running program. It was walk 5 minutes, run 5 minutes, walk 3, run 5, walk 3 run 5, walk 3, run 3, walk 3. Something like that. I did that pretty easy today. I'm worried about Wed's program, where i'm supposed to run 8 minutes twice, but we'll see. I've been pleasantly surprised at how well I've done on the program so far. I think I'll have to pick up some dedicated running shoes soon though. Don't want to mess up my knees.

Counted up my calories and ratios when I got home. I did okay on calories today, but my ratios were way off. 70% carbs. Bleah. So my after-work snack wasn't fruit salad like I'd wanted. I had LF cottage cheese with half a scoop of chocolate protein powder and 1 tsp peanut butter to up the protein and fat. Turned out to taste decent enough. Got my carb percentage back down to 50%, and I'll have steak and spinach tonight for dinner, so that should help.
244/171

Nova

Postby DogMa » January 8th, 2007, 7:47 pm

Is this a set program, Nova, or something you've designed? I was making such great progress on my running, but with everything going on, I haven't been doing nearly as well.
Robin

203/130/130
Reached goal in August 2006
Added BodyBugg in May 2009
New ticker: 136.6/123.2/130
DogMa
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby bikipatra » January 9th, 2007, 5:04 am

You take this so seriously and are so scientific about it. I admire that. When we're still in losing mode, we have most of the work done for us-we just have to comply. But you have turned into Ms. Wizard! Congrats on your dedication.
Restart Date: January 1, 2010
12/31/09 226.8
226.8/218/135
bikipatra

Postby Nova » January 9th, 2007, 6:08 am

Robin, I'm following a set plan. Go to coolrunning dot com, click 'training' at the top, then 'new runners' on the left. Check out the Couch to 5K Running Plan. Lots of folks on another forum have used it to successfully start running.

Biki, heh. I'm an engineer. I love facts, laying out programs, tinkering with them, etc. Besides, the MF program doesn't give a lot of guidance for maintenance. I've been doing a ton of research on nutrition, diet and exercise lately trying to figure out what's best for me.

I've been following a 1700 calorie diet plan for the last 4 weeks, aiming for a 40/30/30 split of macronutrients. Usually I get there, although yesterday was a little off. But I'm still not getting the results I want, and the culprit is probably diet. I'm gonna do some more research this week and start making some changes in 2 weeks. I'll keep you posted. :)
244/171

Nova

Postby Nova » January 10th, 2007, 7:24 pm

Not much to report today except I did well on my running program. warm up, 8 min run, 5 min walk, 8 min run. The last couple minutes were tough, but I made it. Friday looks like a big jump though. warm up, then 20 minutes straight.
244/171

Nova

Postby Nova » January 11th, 2007, 4:50 pm

Did my heavy weightlifting at lunch today. Lost track of how many squat sets I did. I think I did an extra set at the end, on the heavy side, so my legs were toast afterward. I grabbed a sleeveless t for my exercise clothes today, and I was actually checking out my arms in the mirror in the gym. I still have some bat wing action going on, but up on top, I love how they look. I have defined shoulders, bicep and another muscle that I can't remember. They look good. I was actually flexing. :)

The afternoon wasn't so good. Got really frustrated at work, to the point where I had to walk out of a working meeting before I snapped at people and said something I'd regret. Went to another building and did a switcheroo on someone for an office space, since we're scheduled to move in there this week. Took his name off and put my name on and loaded some of my file folders and coffee cup in there. I'll just say the cleaning staff must have moved or lost his little stickie note. :twisted:

I was still grumpy and upset when I got home, and I wanted chocolate, but I've learned. It won't make me feel better. So I made some chocolate coffee and put some horrible SF chocolate syrup in it. As soon as I started drinking it, I wanted potato chips. :x

Oh, it finally dawns on me. PMS. Okay, I can handle it now that I know what's going on. It's still a new thing for me. Hubby thinks because I have so much less mass now, that the hormones have a greater effect on me. Sounds good to me.
244/171

Nova

Postby DonicaB » January 11th, 2007, 5:54 pm

Nova wrote:Oh, it finally dawns on me. PMS. Okay, I can handle it now that I know what's going on. It's still a new thing for me. Hubby thinks because I have so much less mass now, that the hormones have a greater effect on me. Sounds good to me.

PMS is a new thing for you? Lucky girl! :scratchhead:

Hi Nova, you really seem to have a great workout. Congratulations on being 80# down. That is fantastic! Thanks for showing me it can be done. You're a true inspiration!

DonicaB :bananadance:
DonicaB
Preferred member

Postby Nova » January 12th, 2007, 10:00 pm

Today was a big day on my running plan. I was supposed to do a warmup, then do 20 minutes straight jogging. On my way to the gym, I was coming up with schemes I could do because I just KNEW there was no way I could do 20 minutes straight. So I figured I'd do 10, walk 5, run 10. I've run for 10 minutes before, so I could manage it. Actually, 10 minutes was my previous max.

When I started running, I thought it was going to be an awful day. I was tired and my knees were sore in the first minute. I didn't even think I'd get to 5 minutes running. Finally, I just said in my head, "F**k it, I'll go as long as I can. Maybe I'll surprise myself."

I did. I ran for 20 minutes straight and could have kept going! :D My heart rate was only 148 at the end. I was thrilled.

My in-laws are visiting today, so we went out for dinner. I'd given myself permission to have the weekend off. I'm not going to count calories, I'm not going to sweat anything. I'll eat what I want, but it has to be what I want, not eating junk just because I gave myself permission.

I did really good tonight. I had smoked salmon and a double serving of veggies instead of rice. I allowed myself a glass of wine. I did really good until the end. I had a piece of bread, and then I had a second piece. I didn't really need it, wasn't hungry. It just tasted so good and I hadn't had it in months. Oh well, not a total disaster. ANd I really did enjoy eating my veggies a lot more than having rice.

So overall, I'm happy. Seems like my eating habits and preferences have permanently changed for the better. As long as I don't force myself to eat junk food and relearn bad habits, I think I'll be okay.
244/171

Nova

PreviousNext

Return to My Journal