Newbie Rantings

Questions/Comments about Weight loss Products.

Newbie Rantings

Postby pinkgeek » March 25th, 2004, 9:23 am

Hi everyone! Welcome to all the new members. I wish you all the very best. The first few days are really tough, but worth it. Remember that there are a lot of knowledgable, helpful, and supportive people here cheering you on. That said, I'm on to ranting :)

I have been on the Medi-hoping for 4 full days (I'm on day 5) and I hop on the scale multiple times per day...bad bad bad! But, I guess it's better than eating pringles and zingers that many times per day. I dunno why I do it. I am thinking of having the hubby hide the scale and only bring it out on Sundays. Afterall, one of the reasons I waited until Sunday is so I could join roll call with everyone else :) Well my frequent trips to the scale are getting me down. Logically, I absorb all of your comments about fluid levels, etc, but when I see that I have dropped ONLY 5lbs in 4 days, I get upset b/c I was hoping to lose like 10-12 lbs in the first week. I think, poor ole me..I have been cold, and tired, and a tad hungry (this is hard for me at night) and for what? 5 measly pounds...and then I think..well that's 5lbs more than I would have lost snacking on junk and feeling lethargic b/c I'm doped up on sugar and bad carbs. And I have noticed a tiny bit of difference in my clothes....I guess I'm just cranky :) I know that in the big picture this is really good for me and I'm doing something positive for myself and by the trickle down effect, for my husband, too. I guess I need to vent to people that understand this :boing:

This of course leads me to more questions (wouldn't be one of my posts w/o begging for the wisdom of team Medifast). I'm a sipper by nature, so my shakes last me a long time...I'm talking 1-1.5 hours. I chug water, but everything else gets sipped. Does anyone think this will slow down my weight loss? Also, thanks to the recipe ideas, I have finally discovered that a teaspoon of instant coffee, a dash of cinnamon, and some ice in a blender is enough to make those vomitous French Vanilla shakes go down :tongue: I bought some Atkins sugar-free cherry syrup in a pinch last night. This did nothing for the shake except sweeten it a bit (I put like a teaspoon in). So I put a tiny bit on my fingertip and tasted it...I doesn't taste like cherry at all..just a lil liquid Splenda. I want to buy some of the DaVinci syrups, but don't want to spend the money on them unless I know that they are going to add FLAVOR and not just sweet. Is a teaspoon enough?

I bought the starter pack which contained soups, oatmeals, and bars in addition to the shakes. Those bars are EVIL, especially the oatmeal raisin bars. I dont' think I will buy them again. It's like having this lil goodie I'm not supposed to have and it's gone before I know it and then I am pretty hungry shortly afterwards. I usually have a pickle and/or cup of bouillon between a bar and my next shake. The soup is okay, but I'm thinking maybe I should just rely on bouillon, pickles, and shakes b/c the soup isn't that souper-ific. I'm a huge fan of soup and while the soup is oki, it just doesn't compare with a big bowl of French Onion...yikes! I shouldn't get myself started. The oatmeal wasn't so good....do I HAVE to put in 8oz of water? I like that kind of oatmeal you can fling across the room and it will stick to the wall. When I added 8 oz of water, it was like soup....and it needs a boost...like a splenda packet and some cinnamon. I will definitely finish my supplements b/c I can't bear to throw out anymore "diet stuff" that I paid good money for. Will I lose weight faster if I do just the shakes/bouillon/pickles thing? I guess if I get cranky when Aunt Flo visits, I still have the option to Modifast (adding the mean lean/green)?

One final question and I'll shut my yap for the day (at least stop with the questions): Does anyone else have PCOS that is Medi-hoping? Please let me know as I would like to see how your experience went. Thank you all again for being here and answering questions and cheerleading. I hope to be a veteran/old hand at this soon. :kool:

~Angela
~Angela

Start date: 3/21/04
195.5/159.5/115
After a week off: Restart 6/7/04
164/154.4/115
pinkgeek
Trusted Member - #40 Club

Postby Jims Chick » March 25th, 2004, 9:41 am

Angela,
I too was a little disappointed that I didn't lose as much as I saw everyone else losing in the beginning. In fact...my loss has been very slow. But I have lost inches. In fact...I was bustin' out of my size 18 pants and I'm already getting comfortable in my 16's. I bought a treadmill and walk alot....and it has trimmed down my hips, booty and legs tremendously. I still get wierd over the scale some times....probably because I expect so much out of the little bugger. But I will say that I feel better than I have in a long time. I am more active and I am slimming down even though it feels like the scale is rejecting me. I am a food sneaker....and that has hindered my progress a bit...but those were choices I made and I have to live with that. I am working on changing the way I deal with all of the sneaking and cheating I have done.... (Thanks to lectures from Mike and Jeanette). This is working for me, I love this program and I'm thankful for the message board. Sometimes when I need additional motivation I go searching around the internet for Medifast success stories...and there are plenty. It is very motivating. Try not to get hung up on numbers....I've seen more change in my measurements than the scale.

Julie :lol:
"I can do all things through Christ"

Start Date: January 10, 2004
243.5 / 218 / 140
25.5 pounds gone forever
Jims Chick
Regular Member - #20 Club

Postby Carrie » March 25th, 2004, 9:44 am

Hiya Pinky, aka Angela!

A couple weeks ago I started a thread called "I want it and I want it now" in the 'Weight Room", you might get some relief (or just commiseration) reading that ...... a bunch of us voiced our own frustration about that very thing.

Next ............ you're right about the soups. That's why most of us dress them up a bit. You can find lots of good 'legal' upgrade ideas in the lean cuisine section. But for my own personal purposes I add some chicken bouillon to the cream of broccoli and chicken noodle as well as some (1-2 T) of chopped onion and cabbage and then I season the heck out of em with mrs. dash, pepper, salt, etc. They are perfectly palatable then. I also dress the chili (which has become my favorite soup) I add 1-2T chopped tomato, a snort of salsa, onion, some hot sauce, a bunch of chili powder, garlic, and seasonings. This makes a very tasty and satisfying dinner. Some days I'm crying by the time I finish it, LOL!

I gotta agree on the shakes, I don't bother with anything other than the RTD chocolate. I bought some of the davinci syrups, but I find they leave an aftertaste and I just prefer to have my shake plain. They do in fact flavor things, I bought the german chocolate cake one and it definitely 'chocolated' up my shake. Most of the people here really swear by the syrups, so you may want to try em.

I'm not sure on sipping your shakes over that long a period of time. It may have some implications on how it affects your blood sugar and therefore your feelings of hunger. I'd fire that one off to Nancy and get a professional opinion on that one.

Hang in there, you can do this,
Hope some of this helps,
Carrie
Now: 2/5/07: 233.6/220.0/145
1st time: 3/1/04, from 266.5 to 195.4
Carrie
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby Starloser63 » March 25th, 2004, 9:50 am

Angela,

I don't think it would effect you weight loss to be a sipper. I can't imagine taking that long to drink my shake. I chug mine down probably entirely to fast.

But my word girl 5 pounds in 4 days! What do you want? I think that is great, you will probably lose more come the end of the week. I weigh everyday. But I only let my head count my Monday weigh in.

I think your doing great! Keep shaking.

Hugs,
Susan
Through Christ all things all possible.
Susan F
246/216/150
3/23/04 2nd x
First Goal 199
Starloser63
Preferred Member - #30 Club

Postby auntjanot » March 25th, 2004, 2:00 pm

Angela,

I agree with you about the vanilla shakes but the swiss chocolate is even worse. I also ordered the starter pack and when I first tried the bars..well...gag!.. :tongue: I do have to say though, I did get used to them and now I even look forward to them. You have to eat them very slowly taking very small bites and chewing for a long time. I guess this is training for maintenance.

Love, Janet
auntjanot
Regular Member - #60 Club

Re: Newbie Rantings

Postby HD » March 25th, 2004, 2:24 pm

pinkgeek wrote:ONLY 5lbs in 4 days,

~Angela

Oh My GAWD!!!! Angela, your doing great!!! I saw 5# & 4 days and decided since I couldn't reach out and shake you that I'd just have to settle for writing really big. Honey, you are doing fantastic and the loss is much better than I did so you put a huge smile on that face and do a jig :exercise:
Jackie (HD)

01/24/2004
193/151/124
HD
Trusted Member - #40 Club

Postby TamiL » March 26th, 2004, 8:03 am

Angela
you are doing great!! keep it up...dont stress over the numbers on the scale...that will GET YOU DISCOURAGED faster than anything!! I give everyone on this forum credit for being able to weight themselves every day and stick to the program..if I paid that close attention to the scale and didnt see a loss for a few days...I would be off the program by now!
I find that weighing myself only once a week or every few weeks..and going by how my clothes feel...works for me!! the numbers just get the best of me..and if you let them get the best of you, then perhaps you should not weigh every day!! our bodies flucuate so much..you will see that by reading others posts...especially if you have aunt flo visiting or have any type of hormonal problems, you just cant count on what the scale says!! find a pair of jeans..perhaps an old pair you can barley get on...and measure with those...its BODY FAT that counts..inches lost that shows up instantly...not so much the number on the scale!!
so dont get discouraged my friend...find what works for you..as far as the bars..I cant have them in my house anymore!! I even tried the diabetic bars..that werent so sweet and didnt have sugar in them...and I ended up eating way too many in one sitting and paid dearly for that cuz of the sugar alcohols in them...stomach wasnt the same for days!! I find that anything I can CHEW that tastes like candy..or has a chocholate coating or sweet taste..gets me introuble every time..I just cant have it right now!! but thats okay....keeping any type of temptation out of my reach is working!!

Hang in there!! your doing just fine!! dont worry about how fast others loose or dont loose...we are all different..just keep the BIG PICUTRE in mind..your goals..and know that sticking with this...in a few months..youll see a huge difference!! we didnt gain the weight overnight....and its not coming off overnight...over time...IT WILL COME OFF!

happy shakin...glad to have so many new people on board...our family just keeps getting bigger and bigger..as we are getting smaller and smaller!! awesome!! ;)
Tami
ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE IF YOU BELEIVE!!!

Medifast RESTART 13 March 09
150/my goal weight is 130
TamiL
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Postby lorriehartley » March 26th, 2004, 10:21 am

I ordered the months starter pack. I took everything out of all the boxes and put them into 28 piles. After I got my months supply into daily amounts I put them in baggies, so when I leave the house in the morning I just grab a bag for the day. It has everything divided and I don't have to make any decisions. When my bag is empty I am finished eating for the day.

I have been on so many diets that the bars are exactly what I expected.
God's mercies are renewed everyday.

Lorrie
178/173.5/120
lorriehartley

Return to Weight Loss