New Year Resolutions (or any other kind of resolutions)

Give us the skinny in the losers lounge.
(Anything off topic)

New Year Resolutions (or any other kind of resolutions)

Postby sydney_gavin » January 16th, 2007, 12:06 am

This was sent to me today by one of the myriad self improvement sites I subscribe to - it is an old story (and as I heard it previously, it was Demonthenes not Socrates) but a very relevant one.

There is nothing like motivation to see you reach your goals.

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take - but by the moments that take our breath away." --
unknown

Now that we're a couple of week's in from the start of the new year, I've been surprised at how few people have made any new year's resolutions this year. The reason seems to be that people don't believe that they will achieve them, so they're not bothering to start and risk failure.

Of course, the truth is that most people don't achieve their resolutions. However, this is not a valid reason not to have resolutions or goals at all.
It's just a reason to not belong to the majority that either can't be bothered to set any valuable goals or lack the tenacity to follow through.

It comes from the decision that this goal or resolution is so important and valuable that you are going to do whatever it takes to make this a reality. That's a commitment. Just wishing isn't going to do it.

A young man came to Socrates seeking great wisdom and enlightenment. He asked the young man how badly he wanted this knowledge in which the man expressed his deep desire.

Socrates took the man down to the river and told him to look at his reflection in the water. Upon doing this Socrates grabbed the back of the man's head and shoved it under the water. Dismayed, the young man holding his breath, waited or the crazy sage to pull his head back up to reveal some enlightening lesson.

After a short time he began running out of breath and t appeared that this master had no intention of loosening his grip and was trying to drown him.

So the young man finally using every ounce of his strength and being freed himself from this death grip. After gasping for air Socrates looked at the young man and asked "What thoughts were going through your mind just before you freed yourself?" He replied all I could think about was getting that breath of air."

To that Socrates replied is how strong your desire has to be for enlightenment.

And this is true of manifesting any of your goals. If you don't really want it all that badly nothing much is going to help you.

You simply must have a burning desire unbridled by any shame or guilt.

My personal philosophy is quite simple - when the desire comes from within you can achieve anything you set your mind to.

Kind regards

Gavin

Act as if it all depended on you; pray as if it all depended on God.
sydney_gavin
Trusted Member - #50 Club

Postby hulagirlfromhawaii » January 20th, 2007, 3:55 pm

Thank you Gavin!! I agree 100% with you. Your passion and desire to reach your goal must be unwavering. You gotta "burn the boats" and go toward what you want.

That is exactly the attitude I had when I started this program this time. The first time I "tried" MF and quit after losing 10 pounds. My desire was not strong enough to withstand the temptations and the frustrations of not seeing the scale move as fast as I wanted, so, I quit. This time, I had a burning desire to reach my goal, and it soon turned in to passion. As I saw the results of sticking to the plan, I started to love MF because it was working for me.
Kanani

165/146.5/125
hulagirlfromhawaii
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby Lucy » January 20th, 2007, 5:28 pm

Gavin THANK YOU! I hope you don't mind I quoted you at the bottom of my signature, things like that really help...a simple truth that can not be argued.

Of course if you don't wish to be quote just reply STOP COPYING ME YOU PLAGARIZING PARASITE :mrgreen:

I am sending a note to my struggle buddy as well.
Discipline is the art of choosing between what you want now, and what you want the most.
Lucy
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Postby sydney_gavin » January 20th, 2007, 5:59 pm

Hi Lucy,

I am flattered immensely that you would like to quote me. I have been trolling through the posts the last few days copying down signature quotes (indeed, there aren't that many :cry: ) and had intended to post them as a collection - short pithy epithets often carry a lot of weight.

My all time weight losing quote has to be: Nothng tastes as good as slim feels" - I think Nancy uses a variation of that one. now if I could only come up with something as hard hitting as that....

One of the observations I have made in life is that no external forces can induce someone to change - true change comes form within - I remember being harangued to give up smoking (NOT by my lovely wife I might add)and everytime I heard the blessed words I would reach for another ciggie... but once I had decided smoking was something I no longer wished to do it was easy.

Thanks for the compliment.

Kind regards

Gavin

Act as if it all depended on you; pray as if it all depended on God.
sydney_gavin
Trusted Member - #50 Club

Return to What's Shakin'