new form new York

Introduce yourself to the forum.
(Guests Welcome)

new form new York

Postby maryelizabeth » June 24th, 2006, 5:35 pm

I ahve been lurking for weeks and I am torn between committing and worrying. it is hard. A friend of mine is in Nutrisystem and she says it is exactly the same thing. Is it?

I am not sure if this is where I should start a new post about this. I jsut would like to haev some comparisons. I see so much succes on here, but then again I see success with her, so I am confused.

Like I am wathcing the commercial and it seems like the same thing. But, they look like they have mroe actual meals and not so many soup and shake kind of things.

Can anyone who did both at some time give any opinion. if you are on here I would guess you have chosen this. But, for me, who is deciding, what makes Medifast more approachable than Nutrisystem? Please help

Thanks, so much,

ME
maryelizabeth

Hi

Postby dede4wd » June 24th, 2006, 6:13 pm

HI ME,

I have not been on NS, I'm sure someone who has will be along shortly. There is a reason I didn't go on NS. I don't want "their" version of cheesecake or fettechini, I want to Re-learn what I should be eating and what portions I will be eating them in.

That's my problem with some other programs. If I eat WW cake, I can have cake. I KNOW I shouldn't have cake on a daily basis and I'm teaching myself to eat more times a day in a balanced way.

I am also lazy! I don't want to count points. I don't want to THINK about the program. I want a laid-out program that I can follow to a T. That's how my personality works. I have lost A LOT of weight on MF and think it has given me my life back. I'm a little biased.

I don't want to pay for food AND support and program fees. I have a personal health advisor that guides me EVERY step of the way and is only a phone call away.

Just my 2 cents, but I haven't been on NS, so I hope someone that has can answer your questions better!

DeDe
dede4wd
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby GucciGoo » June 24th, 2006, 6:36 pm

My mother tried NutriSystem and went off after 3 days because the food was SO bad that she thought she would throw up. The medifast shakes and soups are actually quite tasty in comparison.
BETH formerly known as Dark & Stormy
GucciGoo
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby alpha femme » June 24th, 2006, 6:41 pm

you know, this is the only "diet" that i have ever been on.

the reason i even began doing it is because when i searched the internet, i could find NO reason not to. the only bad things i saw were some people didn't like some foods. big whoop. that happens with anything-- from broccolli to birthday cake.

but i know the johns hopkins study was pretty convincing. the number of mds that support it is great. and i cannot tell you how many people have said they succeeded wth mf when they failed on other plans.

so... that didn't really answer your question. but, i'm a skeptic-- NOT a lifetime dieter (though i've been fat for life). and this is something i now believe in.
alpha femme
Preferred member

Postby JKSRN » June 24th, 2006, 10:49 pm

Hi, I tried NS and did not like the food at all. I am a slow loser anyway, but on that program, I wanted to see results for my efforts and my money, but the scale hardly moved. I counted up the daily calories of the foods we should choose, and the calorie count would be a daily maintenance calorie count for someone like me, not a 'losing' count. NS foods come in little entree microwavable trays, and little soup containers to nuke, etc.. Their 'shakes' must have originated from 'barfdom'! In this regard, the program is a bit different than ours, which is mainly packets that are reconstituted with water, such as oatmeals, soups, chili, shakes, teas, drinks, also we have great tasting bars and we can have a lean and green meal everyday. The same concept is there for both programs, but I think Medifast wins hands down! I think our food packets taste better, and I am never hungry and must remind myself to eat. Most important, the scale moves for me! It's portable too, and goes with you. You don't necessarily need a microwave near you at all times, because you can 'shake up' a meal, take a bar with you, or a Ready to Drink Shake.

Medifast teaches, what portions you should have, and how often to fuel the body, in preparation for a lifetime of being thin. You can choose the MF foods which are your favorites, all the while losing weight. Learning all about the protein-carb balance, calories, fats, etc.. is excellent preparation for my future. Not having to think about food and meals everyday, allows me time to 'study' if you will, how I am going to incorporate healthy foods into my future. I am not committed to MF to just look better, but for my health and my life and for my grandbaby!

And, when the time comes when you are at goal, or even a little before, Medifast teaches you how to transition to eating all foods again, and instructs on maintenance. I don't think that there is a better program out there. And, if there is, then I am not the least bit interested in it!! :D
Joan
JKSRN
Preferred member

Postby DogMa » June 25th, 2006, 7:42 pm

You've gotten some great answers. I chose Medifast because

1) I AM a lifelong dieter and found that nothing else worked for me anymore. Medifast was my last chance.

2) The Johns Hopkins research was very impressive, and I prefer using a program that I know is medically sound. I want to lose the weight, but I want to do it safely and in the most healthy way possible.

3) Like DeDe, I don't want to eat cake and pasta and whatever else, but in special "diet" versions. I want to learn to choose healthy foods, and I want to learn to deal with emotions without using food as a crutch. On Medifast, I feel like I've done both of those, along with learning to eat small, frequent meals throughout the day. I've learned to control my food, and not to let the food control me. I've learned not to give in to impulse, and to give myself an occasional treat without letting it get out of hand. I've learned that life doesn't have to be all-or-nothing, and that just because I've eaten something NOT on plan doesn't mean I should just throw in the towel and give up. (These last few aren't technically Medifast lessons, since they don't really teach you to cheat on Medifast. Still, I never learned them on any other program I tried.)

Good luck to you, whatever you decide to do.
Robin

203/130/130
Reached goal in August 2006
Added BodyBugg in May 2009
New ticker: 136.6/123.2/130
DogMa
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby Lizabette » June 26th, 2006, 8:43 am

HI MARY E.

I didn't have all the wonderful input you are getting on MF before I began. I just took it by faith and learned all about it later! Maybe not too smart, but it worked for me! I was desperately worried about my health and grasping at straws!

I can't help you compare the two programs since I haven't tried NS. The ads and commercials for NS look great. And it seems very successful for some.

I do, however have a good friend who tried NS for awhile. She had to quit because of the exorbitant costs (plural) and she said the food wasn't all that great! But more importantly, she lost very little weight! She was amazed that for MF, on which I have lost almost 50 pounds, the cost is only for the actual food. Plus we get, as you have read, the most wonderful support group possible, and a Health Advisor who is there for you all the way, free!

Another friend I recently talked to, liked the NS food and lost a lot of weight. Then,she said a stressful event came along and she slowly regained it all back and then some. She is searching for something now.

For me, it is the easiest weight loss/health program I have ever been on and I have tried many, including WW, Atkins, South Beach, etc. and while they may work for others and have their good points I was unable to stick with it, or regained what I had lost, because I didn't learn what to do to maintain. I believe I am learning what to do now, besides losing much faster than I ever did on any other program.

That is my input for what it is worth. I hope you are able to decide soon what you want to do. Our health and well being is at stake.

Thanks for asking,

Lizabette
Lizabette :heart:
195/135 - Reached goal, Aug. 31, '06
Lizabette
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Postby Redhed028 » June 26th, 2006, 11:14 am

I have tried NS and WW and Jenny Craig and Atkins and and and ...... can't even think of all I've been on. Yes, I have lost on all of them. But I have also never gotten so close to goal so quickly and so easily.

I feel like I can do this for the rest of my life. The loss was so consistent and rapid this time that I want to just keep on going.

I can't stress enough how much I enjoy this and how great I feel. Try it. You can always return it and to NS, but I don't think you will want to.

GOOD LUCK. HOPE YOU LOVE MF LIKE I DO. :D

P.S I am a New Yorker, living in NJ for now. But my heart is in NY.

PM me or email me if you need a local friend.

Judy
Redhed028
Regular Member - #60 Club

Return to Come on in.