Medication issue and meal plan advice

Questions/Comments about Weight loss Products.

Medication issue and meal plan advice

Postby Lithia » June 7th, 2006, 8:19 pm

I just ordered my first 4 week supply and I need advice on slightly modifying the diet. Because I take lithium, I need to slightly increase my carbohydrate consumption in my lean and green meal. Ketosis is not particularily good for lithium, but as long as I stay in the pink I should be fine.

Oh and I am ovo-laco vegetarian just to make matters more complicated. So I am looking for meal suggestions to add a wee bit of carbohydrate without blowing the plan completely.

Dropping the meds is not an option.

Thanks,

Lithia
Lithia

Postby Jan » June 7th, 2006, 8:55 pm

Hi Lithia,
If I were you I'd check with my Dr. People who take lithium have to be very very careful. It's a salt and your levels may bounce. Get your Dr's ok and advice. You need to stay on your meds and make certain they are working properly for you.
jan
Jan
Preferred member

Postby Unca_Tim » June 7th, 2006, 10:02 pm

From the Medifast literature:

Current use of lithium (should only be done under close medical supervision with monitoring of labs to determine lithium levels

My bold...
Unca
"Failure is a choice"
~From a dream~
Unca_Tim
Site Admin

Postby Nancy » June 8th, 2006, 11:16 am

Hi, Lithia ~

I am not a physician so I can not make a comment other than Medifast does not recommend the regular 5 & 1 weight loss program for people on lithium for the very reason you site.

However, we do have a client that uses the Senior Meal plan as a resource for menu planning because it includes higher calories than the regular 5 & 1 Program affords. The Senior Meal plan also incorporates the Medifast 70 shakes which has 3 grams more of protein and 10 calories more than the Medifast 55 formulation shakes. The client is totally under their doctor's care, primarily uses the Medifast products as nutritional supplements in conjunction with other regular foods.

I am happy to send you a PDF File of the Senior Meal Plan or the Diabetic Meal Plan which also has higher calorie menus included. Send a PM to Nancy at MakeMeThinner dot com and I’ll zip them off to you ASAP. You would also need to work closely with a nutritionist to meet your dietary requirements.
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club

Postby Guest » June 8th, 2006, 2:25 pm

Thanks for your responses. I did read the lithium warning and am having my levels checked regularly by my doctor. I will look into the seniors or diabetic plans. That's a good idea.

Postby Nancy » June 9th, 2006, 8:12 pm

Guest, please send me a private email with your email address and I will send the Senior Meal Plan and the Diabetic Guide Book to you. They may be of help to you and your doctor when planning a program to meet your particular needs.

Send your email addy to Nancy at MakeMeThinner.com and I'll zip it right back to you.
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy

Postby Unca_Tim » June 9th, 2006, 9:44 pm

Nancy wrote:Guest, please send me a private email with your email address and I will send the Senior Meal Plan and the Diabetic Guide Book to you. They may be of help to you and your doctor when planning a program to meet your particular needs.

Send your email addy to Nancy at MakeMeThinner.com and I'll zip it right back to you.

.......or you can click here....:)

Senior Meal Plan

Diabetic Guide Book
Unca
"Failure is a choice"
~From a dream~
Unca_Tim
Site Admin

Got em, thanks guys!

Postby Guest » June 11th, 2006, 6:01 am

I am seeing my doctor wednesday and will discuss the diet plan. I should get my first package from UPS tomorrow. :D

Postby Guest » June 14th, 2006, 2:33 pm

Good news. My shrink said go ahead and do the regular diet. My dosage of lithium is quite low so he is not concerned in the least!! :)

Postby Nancy » June 14th, 2006, 7:49 pm

That's great that your doc looked at the plan and approved it for you.

Be sure to keep close tabs with the doc regarding your dosage because your weight loss will influence the blood levels. The blood levels for people on lithium have to be carefully monitored during such treatment to avoid toxicity...

Notify the doctor whenever there is a significant change in your weight since the lithium levels in the body may be drastically affected.

The frequency of urination will change and that may also require an adjustment of the dosage.

If you have questions regarding your program, call your Health Advisor.

Although your doctor gave you the approval to use Medifast, our protocol does not support the use of Medifast products for the weight loss program for people using lithium but rather for occasional meal replacement use. Health Advisors are not permitted to treat or diagnose so be sure to call your doctor immediately if you have any unusual symptoms or if you feel wonky. We care about you Lithia and we want you healthy - mind, body and soul!

There are two national conference calls for support as well. Monday evening at 8:30 PM Eastern Time, the nurse's call allows for questions from the field. Nurse Lori Andersen hosts this call and sometimes I fill in for her (I am not a nurse so can only answer questions of a general nature).

Here is the phone number for the weekly TSFL Nurse's call
1 - 646 - 519 - 5860 followed by the pin code 0971 and the # sign.

The Doctor's Support Call is every Wednesday evening at 8:30 PM Eastern Time, same phone number and pin code.
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy

Return to Weight Loss