Measuring

Post your weight loss successes or failures here...:)

Measuring

Postby sidrah » January 8th, 2006, 7:22 pm

Do you guys weigh the meat, fish, etc.... and then just use a measuring cup to fill up for the vegetables??

For example, a cup of lettuce is obviosuly not the same as a half pound.
I have the Gortons fish that measure 7 oz. So, that is fine since I am sure it is less cooked up, right?

How does everyone else measure?
sidrah
Preferred member

Postby DogMa » January 8th, 2006, 7:58 pm

I weigh the protein and usually just eyeball the veggies. I know some are stricter, but I can't imagine an extra asparagus spear or zucchini slice here or there is really going to mess things up too much. In the beginning I measured the veggies, too, though.
Robin

203/130/130
Reached goal in August 2006
Added BodyBugg in May 2009
New ticker: 136.6/123.2/130
DogMa
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Measuring

Postby Jan » January 8th, 2006, 8:51 pm

Hi Sidrah,
I weigh andmeasure everything ( except I know that canned veggies --for instance a can of green beans is generally 1 1/2 cups.)
Your Gortons fish wasn't breaded was it?? As long as it is just plain uncoated fish you are fine. I always weigh my meat because 7 oz of chicken is much more than you might think and 5 oz of beef can be less.
Until you are very certain I would weigh and measure everything. When you measure your lettuce for salad it is perfectly fine to push it down in the cup.
jan
Jan
Preferred member

Postby Lisa Renee » January 8th, 2006, 10:27 pm

There are quite a few little kitchen scales out there that are fashionable and very useful. I used to weigh out everything until I learned what 7oz looks like. Of course, I still have to be careful with the 5 oz of beef, so I usually do end up weighing it. It's important that you know what you are eating for future reference. I know when we get to maintenance, this will be a very helpful tool.

Renee
Lisa Renee
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby Gwenski » January 9th, 2006, 12:06 am

Well, if I am out and about, I ask or guess as best as I can -- error on the side of less is MORE if you aren't sure.

Veggies, I totally guess these days cause after while you just somehow know. Measure until it is second nature to you - it so doesn't take long.

For meats at home, if it isn't a pre-package thing where I know how much something weighs prior to cooking, I ALWAYS WEIGH.

I think I was going to gooble at Thanksgiving and Christmas --- 7oz of fish and poultry is enough to make you cluck!!!!
Gwenski

Began July 6, 2005 & Originally lost 131.19#'s
New Start Date: November 8, 2008
Gwenski
Preferred Member - #100 Club
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Return to The Weight Room