Little white Lie?? will it hurt??

Questions/Comments about Weight loss Products.

Little white Lie?? will it hurt??

Postby TamiL » February 5th, 2004, 5:38 pm

Hello
I know most of you will relate to what I am about to say....that is the good part of this program..I can say whatevers on my mind..and know that someone out there will relate..or understand!!

I am nervous about going back to work tommorrow...before I worked at the Fire Dept. I worked for the Police Dept. dispatching as a 911 operator..its a stressful job, and I worked midnights. that is when my weight gain started...when I started at the PD..I weighed 140 pounds..that was Oct. 2001. after Sept. 11th happened..and going thru my divorce..I was a mess, and used Food to kill and numb the pain.

My family/friends/and both departments Police and Fire (which I consider my other big family) has seen me go from 140 pounds to 185 in just a few years!! and my immediate family has seen me as heavy as 240 pounds back when I lived in Germany and was the miserable lonley military wife!! I have gained and lost so much weight over the last 10 years I cannot even tell you!! Everyone has also seen me attempt Atkins, South Beach, the egg diet...you name it!! they have seen me join the gym and not go...etc etc etc.

I am sitting here worrying about what I will tell them. there are only 2 people so far who know I am doing this program. one of them is my best friend..who suggested something to me tonite.....she suggested if anyone asks..I could tell a little white lie and tell everyone I am doing a weight loss experiment!! she said to just tell everyone that I am doing a weight loss fast/low calorie program as an experiment for a company who is testing certainprograms for overweight females my age...(which there is such a thing)...but that is not being honest..however...its very tempting. I know my family..my parents, and once they find out I am on this..they are going to have a fit about me spending more money on trying to loose weight..they wont get it!!
HELP!! not sure what to do. be honest....and tell everyone to mind whats on thier own plates..or just say screw it and go with the little white lie?
its my life..Im 32 years old and dont have anyone to answer too..I am single and free to do with my money what I choose. I just dont want them to know that I am doing this..they will tell me its not healthy...that it will all come back on after I loose it..etc..I KNOW THEM!! ...and spending more money on weight loss will be an issue.
isnt this silly? I am stressing over what other people are going to say/think...its nuts!!
just needed to get this all out..sorry its a book.
I just keep remembering something my father burned in my head when I was little "Honesty is the best policy" :?

I just re-read this..I think I answered my own question...I am 32 years old..have my own money and no one to answer too... ;)
well see..Im just going to wing it and play it by ear!!
Last edited by TamiL on February 5th, 2004, 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE IF YOU BELEIVE!!!

Medifast RESTART 13 March 09
150/my goal weight is 130
TamiL
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Postby finalstraw » February 5th, 2004, 5:44 pm

Most of us went and/or are going through the same thing. I don't want anyone to know either. Once someone knows you are dieting, they tend to watch every morsel you eat and question you constantly.

You can premix your shakes in a regular drink container and then re-shake them when you are ready to drink them. Same with the soups and stuff. If anyone inquires, you are watching what you eat to feel healthier. You can call your shakes whatever you want, my daughter calls any of the choclate flavors 'choclate milk' and so forth.

I am not telling anyone what I am doing, like you, don't want any criticism about not sticking with it and at this point (you can't even really tell I have lost because I have so much to lose) don't want a million questions.

I would not suggest the 'diet experiment' thing, it could get way to complicated to keep up the story.

Hope this helps, :D
Stephanie

Rom 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes:

1st goal - 199 (I will change when I have met it)
Started 1/18/04 at 284
Currently 251.9
finalstraw
Preferred Member - #30 Club

thanks

Postby TamiL » February 5th, 2004, 5:50 pm

your sooo right steph...this would turn into a snowball lie..one of those that gets bigger and bigger as you go along....

Im just going to try and keep a low profile..and answer as you said..that Im on a program to loose weight and get healthy. acutally ..sometimes keeping everyone guessing is fun!

thanks for the insight!!
what do I have to loose? except weight? lol

;)
ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE IF YOU BELEIVE!!!

Medifast RESTART 13 March 09
150/my goal weight is 130
TamiL
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Postby Jeanette » February 5th, 2004, 7:20 pm

You're right ladies--it is NOT important to tell anyone about what you are doing if you dont want them to know.

I hid it from most people for the first several weeks. Eventually I would share it with selective people. Most of the time, if I dont want to tell someone how I am losing the weight (about Medifast), I just say "I'm watching what I eat", which is true!

Share with whomever you feel comfortable....forget everyone else!
Jeanette :star:
(340) 325/300/180
"Discipline is simply choosing between what you want now and what you want the most."--Unknown
PROGRESS, not PERFECTION
Jeanette
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Postby shineface » February 5th, 2004, 7:41 pm

...and here I was thinking I was the only one dealing with this issue!!!!

Boy does this help. I agree if you get into too complicated a story it's too hard to keep up. I also agree that I earn my own money I am 48 years old and until I ask someone to write me a check to support what I'm doing I think it's my business. I too have decided not to tell people what I am doing - I have a lot of weight to lose and really get sick being under the microscope and bombarded with questions --- BUT if I open the door and share information everyone seems to think this is an invitation to review my life.

Classic story -- right before I was going to start on MF - I said to my Mom- I think I'm ready to start a liquid/balanced fast program - God knows I've tryed everything else short of the surgery which I don't think is the best option --- before I could get the entire sentence outta my mouth I hear "Well, Oprah proved that doesn't work and was just another BS fad diet" --- end of discussion. I placed my order and have told no one. I am so thankful for this forum--- I can talk to all of you and you understand!!!!

At work someone at work saw me mixing a shake - I said it was instant breakfast/vitamin drink - end of story. Someone saw me eating the soup -- I said it's cup of soup -- end of story. I'm not everyone's built in entertainment every time I try to end this madness - and this time I will.

Thanks for starting this thread Tami - and good luck going back to work.
Thanks Ladies - everything you all shared has helped me (again!!!)

Pam
Pam -"I AM the ME in MEdifast"
Start = 1/24/04 70 down 60 up
5/1/05=279.6
You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf. - Unknown
shineface
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby Indigo » February 6th, 2004, 12:07 am

I agree with Pam- people really aren't THAT interested in what we eat or drink, and keeping it low-profile is a great approach- I have my shakes in a metal thermos, and I tell people it's a protein drink, that I'm trying to get healthier. Both are true.

I try to avoid going out to eat, and make get-togethers with friends over coffee instead of food. No one outside of my family has noticed anything, really. The more nonchalant YOU are about it, the less attention it will attract- until, of course, you start looking good :) Then they'll all be asking how you did it!!
Laurie
2/14/04~ :heart:
247/222.4/150, ~modifasting~
Indigo
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby Maisie » February 6th, 2004, 6:33 am

TamiL:

You surely don't have to apologize for spending more money on losing weight because this is a pretty low cost way to do it compared to what we all spent on junk and/or eating out. I'm saving money for sure.

Everything is more difficult when you weigh too much and my body tells me it was meant to weigh a lot less on a routine basis. I suspect you need to be pretty fast on your feet sometimes. Years ago my boyfriend was the President of the Firefighters Union in Chicago. I used to visit the firehouses with him. Part of the problem of being a firefighter is there's lots of downtime on a 24 hour shift and everybody hangs around the house, meal time is a big deal for sure since everyone cooks and eats together. Then all hell can break lose, and you better be ready to move it when that alarm goes off and your joints better be ready to cooperate.

I can see why the peer pressure at the station would be very difficult for you. I think what you are doing is thus very professional and responsible and if you put all that enthusiasm you have to work on this, not only will you get back to 135, but you'll earn the respect of your fellow firefighters.

Maisie

2/2/2004
171/165.5/125
Maisie
Regular Member - #10 Club

Return to Weight Loss