I just need to type this for my own sake

Post your weight loss successes or failures here...:)

I just need to type this for my own sake

Postby nickieluv » June 24th, 2006, 7:21 pm

Hi -

I officially started Medifast a week ago yesterday, and I have officially cheated more days than not since then.

I played a graduation ceremony today and watching all those kids just starting out, and seeing three of them who were already grossly overweight (possibly even weighing more than me) made me so sad!! I kept thinking of both my own graduation, and the day someday when my daughter graduates, and realizing how few years we really have together before she's on her own. (She's only 11 months old, so maybe I was being a little melodramatic, but a mom is entitled!!)

I came right home and rededicated myself. I made a list of 20 things I hate about being fat, and 20 things I wish I felt instead (I think someone here posted that idea - thanks!!). I posted a copy on the fridge, one on the cupboards, one on the phone book (for those weak moments I want to order in), and laminated one for my purse. Just FYI, I'm going to post that list here for a public record. I posted two "before" pictures of myself in the places I usually go to graze. I also had my husband use my cell phone to take a picture of my fat rolls (eeeew!) and made that my phone wallpaper, in case I bypass the phone book and try to call from my stored numbers for pizza!

So, to finish - here are my lists.

THINGS I HATE ABOUT BEING FAT

1. Old lady clothes
2. Sweating
3. Dreading cameras
4. Being embarrassed to eat in public
5. Losing out on intimacy because I feel gross
6. Missing out on things because I’m embarrassed to go out
7. Setting a horrible example for my daughter
8. Seeing pretty young things and being jealous
9. Feeling tired and lazy
10. Feeling ashamed of myself
11. Knowing I’m so out of control with my eating
12. Having my clothes stuck in my rolls
13. Having rolls!
14. Pretty shoes being too painful to walk in
15. Seeing my reflection and losing all confidence
16. Being able to grab handfuls of fat all over my body
17. Having to sit down to tie my shoes
18. Having no balance
19. Looking ten or twenty years older than I am
20. Having my own father weigh less than I do

THINGS I WOULD LIKE TO FEEL

1. Beautiful
2. Confident
3. Sexy
4. Fun
5. Alive
6. Energetic
7. Comfortable in clothes
8. Comfortable with my body
9. Excited to see my reflection
10. Able to go out with my husband and knock his socks off!
11. Able to run and play with my daughter
12. Able to do anything!
13. Free to dance in public
14. Proud of myself
15. Excited to go places and get out of the house
16. Worth a million bucks without a stitch or a gem on my body
17. In control of food and my eating habits
18. Complimentary stares
19. Like my husband would be crazy to look at another woman
20. Like myself again – the way I felt in college, but stronger

Thank you for reading, anyone who did - I hope to be posting some great news soon! I'm only going to weigh-in every ten days, but thank you all so much already for your advice and support. Now I'm going to put it to good use!!!!
nickieluv
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Postby sidrah » June 24th, 2006, 7:41 pm

Hi, I am more or less in the same boat as you. I am so busy I forget to eat for 10 hours at a time. Then, I am starving at night and whatever is there. Mentally, I know, but you know......

I think the list is a great idea. Go and start your own journal in the other room. You can keep adding onto it and this would be a perfect post to cut and paste in there as post #1. You will see it everyday you log in.
sidrah
Preferred member

Postby Unca_Tim » June 24th, 2006, 7:43 pm

Great post Nickie,
Sounds like you're ready for the train to thinsville.

I think the biggest part of this, is getting your head straight and you're there baby....:)
Unca
"Failure is a choice"
~From a dream~
Unca_Tim
Site Admin

Postby Prancer » June 24th, 2006, 7:50 pm

Hey you can do it!! I started on Monday and about the same place you are. Stick to it and soon you can cross those things off your list!!
Prancer
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby wildtrk » June 24th, 2006, 7:57 pm

Thanks for sharing Nickie...many of us have a list very similar to yours. Though I even if I hit my goal I don't think I can get anymore sexier than I am today.... :mrgreen:

Anyway I look forward to reading about your successes!
327/247/199
MF Start Date 4/14/06
10# - 4/26 40# - 5/25 70# - 7/27
20# - 5/04 50# - 6/18 80# - 8/31
30# - 5/15 60# - 7/1

New Start Date 1/22/10
Starting weight 355/345/199
10# - 2/2/10

"How long does getting thin take?" Pooh asked anxiously.
wildtrk

Postby nickieluv » June 25th, 2006, 5:48 am

Thank you again so much for the encouragement.

I did go ahead and start a journal thread, thank you Sidrah.

I hope my head is finally in the right place, Unca - it seems like it has been before, and I just ignored it. I may have found some motivators that will work for me long-term this time.

Jenn, I'm looking forward to crossing things off my "fat" list - as I re-read my list it seems like most of those things are emotional or mental goals, and the only thing stopping me from feeling good about myself right now is me. I'm trying not to think of weight loss as a magic cure-all that will make me the perfect person and never have another doubt about myself in my life - I know that's not true. But it's a big battle and winning it is SURE to send my confidence through the roof!

Finally, wildtrk - oh, to have your fearlessness!! I fight a losing battle every day trying to think of myself as sexy for my husband - I think you're going to be happy with yourself whatever weight you're at, even if you're not happy with your body sometimes. Something I cannot even imagine - being happy with myself.

One last question, and I hope it's not inappropriate to mention on a public board or anything - does anyone else struggle with asking God for help in their weight battle? I feel like I made the mess and I should clean it up - although I also feel that I need His help to make it through the day. Help losing weight or sticking to a diet is the one thing I can't manage to surrender to Him. Any thoughts?
nickieluv

Postby Guest » June 25th, 2006, 7:31 am

nickieluv wrote:One last question, and I hope it's not inappropriate to mention on a public board or anything - does anyone else struggle with asking God for help in their weight battle? I feel like I made the mess and I should clean it up - although I also feel that I need His help to make it through the day. Help losing weight or sticking to a diet is the one thing I can't manage to surrender to Him. Any thoughts?

Hi Nickie :wave:

When I read your list I could have been reading my list...I know exactly what you mean. I rarely left the house because I had only a couple of clothing items that still fit and overall was totally down on myself. Please hang in and tell yourself that you deserve this, you are doing something good for yourself that in the long run you will cross the finish line and x off all the negatives off of your list!! The the junk food is only a bandaid!!!

Of course you can pray for help!! Honestly, I haven't prayed for strength with this diet (I don't know why, I do believe in God and often pray), but now that I think about it, God must be helping me because how else would I have had the strength to follow the MF plan to a tee?? I mean I had NO willpower at all in the past. Now I haven't cheated once and take it one meal at time. If I get ravenous, I drink some water and look at the clock and think, well only 1 more hour, I'll be ok and I'm doing this for the end result! And the results in between aren't shabby either!! (I also do think of the money I've invested in this diet and the fact that I am laid off and my DH is supportive enough to say go ahead with it and the poor guy is working his butt off)

I'm pretty new (started June 8th) and have lost 11 pounds and that's just enough to get me into last summer's clothes. I have a long way to go (49 more pounds and maybe more) but I am so psyched because I can fit into those clothes now.

YOU WILL DO THIS!!!
;)

Take care,
Sherry

Postby Ms X » June 25th, 2006, 7:34 am

Nickie, that's a great question. I tend to ask for strength and determination, rather than asking God to help me lose weight. If I have the strength and determination, I'll lose it myself. LOL But I know what you mean. Even though we can ask for strength, perseverance, etc., ultimately it's up to us to change our habits. But I do think God wants to help us do this, so there is nothing wrong with asking for the help to be healthier! Just my two little cents. :D

Great list, by the way. You and I must have started Medifast around the same day, today is Day 7 for me. I haven't cheated yet, but I've thought about it dozens of times! LOL
Ms X

Postby sherry2232 » June 25th, 2006, 7:34 am

OOPS, the above GUEST is me, I didn't log in...I'll get the hang of this yet!

Sherry
sherry2232
Regular Member - #20 Club

Postby Paradox » June 25th, 2006, 1:26 pm

Great post :mrgreen:

I could have wrote that also ;) Hang in there it's a :x but once you see it start coming off your not gonna want to stop! :D
06/02/06
280/262/150
Paradox
Regular Member - #10 Club

Postby Redhed028 » June 25th, 2006, 9:58 pm

wow Nicky

That really hit home. I have been doing great on Medifast. I have been trying to get my sister to consider the program without being too forceful.

She is really in denial and says she is fine even though she is morbidly obese and can barely walk now. Her daughters and husband have been bugging me to talk to her about the program. I am going to send her your list. I know it had an impact on me and I hope it does on her too.

Keep up the good work and thanks for that great post!!!

Judy
Redhed028
Regular Member - #60 Club

Postby nickieluv » June 26th, 2006, 2:37 pm

Wow Judy - if that post helps in any way I will feel so happy! I know that I've tried so many times to lose weight, but always have felt staying the same was safer, easier, and tasted better! :lol: Denial is strong, though - what you see in the mirror is overpowered by what you feel, and in my mind I still weigh what I did in high school. That's why pictures are always so shocking to me. Does your sister let herself be photographed? Maybe at family functions? Sometimes seeing the truth can be a kick in the pants. I know I had no idea how big I'd gotten until this year's Christmas pictures were developed - ugh!

Thank you all - I feel like I'm saying that a lot but it's true - checking in here I think is going to help me in some weak moments - like, say, now. :) I'm off to journal next!
nickieluv

Postby RoRo » June 26th, 2006, 5:27 pm

Thanks for your post--reading your list reminded me of myself.

I have put a picture of me and my two sons on the refrigerator that I took when I first started. Every month I am going to add a new picture with my sons and I will be smaller but most importantly healthier so I can be here FOR them!!!!

Stay strong and keep shakin'

Ro-

Never argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience
MF Start Date 06/18/2006
300.2/288/245

RoRo
Newbie - #10 Club

Postby nickieluv » June 27th, 2006, 12:04 pm

Ro - my fridge "before" picture is of me and my baby, too. I picked it because I look so darn awful in it - one of those days not too long after she was born and I'm in sweats and it's not pretty - but now when I look at it I will think of sticking around for her and setting a good example. Thank you for the reminder. I just read an article today that said fat parents make fat kids - depressing, and even more reason to change!!
nickieluv

Return to The Weight Room