Just joined

Introduce yourself to the forum.
(Guests Welcome)

Postby Sojourner » May 8th, 2007, 10:57 am

Hey, Donna!
I'd cut the time per day, not the days per week. The basis of having you watch it at all is the lower caloric intake...which is a per day thing. You'll be taking in much less fuel than your body is accustomed to, so it'll need time to adjust. After that, caloric intake is still quite restricted....hence the 45 minute guideline.

There are some real athletes on this board that could prolly answer your question much better than I ~ Lauren, Robin, Karli...anyone?
~*~*~*Sojourner*~*~*~

Shake it gone, babeee!!!
Sojourner
Preferred member

Postby Lauren » May 8th, 2007, 11:24 am

Oh, my heart just went all a-flutter, SoJo called me an athlete! That sounds soooo good! :-)

Sorry, this is about you, Donna, not me! :-)

Congrats on getting on board, Donna, you're going to do great! And don't worry about posting questions here, there, and everywhere, someone will scoot you about if you'd be better served elsewhere.

I guess my question to you would be about your level of exertion when walking the 1.8 miles. Is this a hard walk, are you pumping, out of breath, sweating, etc., or is this a bit more of a casual walk, still exercise, but not as demanding? Because 1.8 miles is different to everyone, and speed is different to everyone. I do agree with Sojo and Pashta that you'd be better served by cutting the time or distance you walk by day, not number of times per week, but I still would like you to look at the extent of the walk. If this is just a pleasant daily activity, with limited effort/sweat/exertion, then there is probably not a need to cut it at all. But, on the other hand, if this is a significant cardio activity for you, then you'd be better served reducing it some.

Here's the best rule of thumb: trust your body, and come prepared. Your body will tell you everything you need to know, during and after your exercise. You may consider bringing a bar or shake with you on the walk, planning to go the full distance, but if you feel shaky or weak, stopping, and eating the MF meal right away instead. That will tell you that perhaps you're not ready to go the full distance. All the guidelines that are established are very helpful tools that you should use, but I PROMISE that when it comes to exercise, your body will tell you what it wants and needs.

I had no desire to exercise initially (but still did a few times a week), and then suddenly, out of nowhere, I had all this energy and pep in my step and I wanted to be active. It will come, just listen to your body, trust what it is telling you, and allow yourself the freedom to have a bit more MF (like an extra supplement) and/or sodium (pickles/broth) to make sure you're feeling well and strong.

Most of all, have fun! It's a great season for walking, definitely don't stop that healthy activity!

Lauren
Lauren
Preferred Member - #170 Club
Preferred Member - #170 Club

Postby bikipatra » May 8th, 2007, 11:34 am

I love my walks. I think they do so much for my mood too. ;)
Restart Date: January 1, 2010
12/31/09 226.8
226.8/218/135
bikipatra
Preferred Member - #100 Club
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Postby Sharon » May 8th, 2007, 11:42 am

Hi Donna
WELCOME!!!!!! This is a great place. Heck I have only been here this is my day 4 and I have got so much support here. You will love it.
I have 113lbs to lose and thats on this short 5' body.lol
You WILL do GREAT just take it one day at a time.
Sharon
Sharon

Postby Donna » May 8th, 2007, 5:03 pm

Thanks everyone! Okay - so I will cut my walks per day. I'm not a power walker by any means. It is difficult and painful to walk, but I feel like I need to do it for my health. I hate to give 'em up, and yessirre they do so help my mood, too! My hub goes with me which makes it a nice time to chat & share some time together, as well.

Here's my BIG news!!!! I just got the e-mail from TSFL! MY SHAKES ARE ON THE WAY!!!!

I can't wait.

I'm not sure if I want to dive in or wait until my scale gets here. I'd like to get an accurate weight at the starting line, but I do want to get going and my scale might take a while.

Donna :)
Donna
Trusted Member

Postby Pashta » May 8th, 2007, 6:17 pm

If you'd like a head start so you don't have carb withdrawal symptoms too badly you should probably start eating low-carb right away. Try doing L&G meals all day long and cutting the caffeine intake down some if you are a coffee or cola drinker.

It'll make it easier on you. :)
- Tonia

Start: 03/20/06 (restart 3/19/07)
3 kids: 3 mos, 18 mos, 11 yrs old
Month 1: -4.4,-0.8,-4.0,-2.2 (-11.4, -7 in.)
Month 2: -1.6,-1.6,-3.4
Pashta
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Previous

Return to Come on in.