Janae

1 Thread per registered User.

Janae

Postby Janae » June 13th, 2006, 7:53 pm

"Food, Glorious Food..."!!!!

It plays one of the primary roles in my life. I don't really want it to be...but I seem to have made this choice long ago....before I knew I even had a choice.

Food has been my best friend when I needed one, my best surprise, my soothing balm when necessary, and the chief element in every party and celebration of my life. Food has been my reason to meet with friends, my family's best event and the hub of a huge portion of my memories. I have favorite foods for every holiday, birthdays, types of weather, seasons of the year, rooms in the house, travel destinations and even certain days of the week.

I can consume huge quantities of time with planning food, shopping for food, cooking food, serving food, cleaning up after food, storing food and sharing food with others.

I have thought of food when I first get up in the morning, I have counted it like sheep to get to sleep...(1 cookie, 2 cookies, etc) and I have dreamed about it.

I love food. I experience it with all sensory inputs. I love the smell of homemade cinnamon rolls and bacon frying and chicken and noodles simmering on the stove. I love the way food looks as it is pictured in Taste of Home and all those food network shows...as well as making it look good when I serve it (presentation is everything) Then there is the sound of it as it sizzles, bubbles, crunches in my mouth and snap-crackle-pops! I guess I even love the "feel" of food. I mean, I am quite sure that I have lovingly held a ding-dong or two and I have tenderly embraced more than one box of Hot Now Krispy Cremes.

Then, finally there is taste. Ahhhh, the ecstasy of my taste buds being tantalized with some new delicacy or old favorite....Whether it's sweet, sour, salty or bitter...I want to give all those buds equal time! I dislike very few things (wouldn't you know) No picky eater here. I seem to have an insatiable appetite for tasty food.....

Mexican, Italian, Chinese, German....I mean...send me around the world. Appetizer-Entree-Snack-Breakfast-Food-Dessert...Every section of the cookbook, every aisle in the grocery, every fast food, slow food and fine dining establishment available.

I just love food. Always have. Always will.

HOWEVER-
I have embarked upon a journey. I am re-casting my life. I have much work to do...and I realize that I am, above all, retraining my mind and thoughts...while I work on retraining my body and impulses.
I have so much to learn and so much to change....The road ahead of me looks long and I can't see all the details down it yet... but, I think I see a glimmering spark way down there...

to be thoughtfully continued
Janae
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby MusicalMomma Reloaded » June 13th, 2006, 8:09 pm

:bravo: :bravo: WONDERFUL!!! I related to every single word!!!! I know this is your journal, but I really appreciate being able to share your thoughts :)

Keep up the good work Janae :)
~Joyce~
Formerly known as MusicalMomma
MusicalMomma Reloaded

Postby Janae » June 28th, 2006, 7:27 pm

OK....now that I have begun by confessing my struggle in too close a relationship with food....I'll move on.

Medifast has been a great experience. I started June 1, 2006 and followed the plan faithfully for 23 days. I did not have much problem adapting...a few headaches and a few hunger pains and then slipped into ketosis about Day 4. Physically, I had no further issues. But, mentally- I did have to fight the battle pretty much everyday. But...it did seem to get a little easier as time went on.

The best thing...and reason for my motivation to continue on, despite food dreams and temptation...was the fact that I lost 20 pounds in that time! I am elated about that. I am very excited at the prospect of continuing.

However........ I am currently not on plan. Not at all. I have developed a nasty rash that is inflamed and itchy and seems to be spreading slowly on my entire body. I will spare you the details, but it is quite annoying and continues, despite treatment from the doctor. So, he advised me to go off MF, at least long enough to see if the soy or possibly something else is causing an allergic reaction. So far, I am off five days and it hasn't gone away yet...but, my doctor says that is not long enough to wait. It could take longer and to be certain we can rule it out...wait.

So...I am doing my best to mimic MF by eating 5-6 small meals a day, keep the cals and carbs fairly low, take vitamins to fill in the gaps...drink all my water, etc. I want to at least maintain my loss, but I have been scared to weigh, afraid I will have gained.

Today was bloodwork and Friday I see the doctor again to get those results and see if they show anything. Meanwhile...I wait and pray that this is something other than MF...but also that it is not something else major. I am diabetic and have some accompanying health issues, so there are always those concerns.

I certainly hope and trust that I will soon be back on Medifast and on the "losing" streak again! I mean...I have all the lists of dates that I have in mind to make certain goals....and if Idon't get back on in a hurry...I may have to amend all that! Oh well...I'll just make new lists. (Lists are one of my things anyway....I love to organize and be organized...though I am certainly not always. Organized.)

I have been so encouraged and uplifted by these boards. I feel like I have made a wealth of new friends and I have learned alot about MF and the plan and gotten recipe tips and great advice and even learned somethings I never knew before...though, I won't ennumerate what those are! ;) I plan to just keep reading and keep contributing where I can and to be able to just keep "in the groove" until I can actually start again.

More next time about my actual life and my experience with e-harmony dot com and my pet armadillo.

J
Janae

Postby Karli » June 30th, 2006, 9:08 am

Hi Janae :git: :mrgreen:

I just wanted to ask how things are going with your mimic plan ?

Best Wishes,
Karli
Karli
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby Janae » July 3rd, 2006, 10:09 am

Thanks, Karli, for asking.

It has been about 9 days now that I have been off the plan. My substitute plan has gone fairly well. I have certainly eaten more calories and carbs than I would have on MF...and it is interesting that, when I eat -even though my food intake is still restricted, I find it difficult to drink all the water I should because I am just too full.

The real proof will be in the scale...and I just have not been willing to get on it! I did after three days, and I had stayed the same.

What I am working toward now is the day I can get back on plan. After the doctor visit on Friday, he concludes that the rash may or may not be caused by an allergy to soy!!! (Didn't I already know that??!?!) Course of action is to try it again when the rash symptoms are gone and see if I can tolerate it. One good thing this has done is it caused the doctor to really examine MF...as I took him the Nutrition breakdown of several of the products I normally eat. He found another potential problem for me...only an issue because of my personal history with the diabetes and various complications.

After some discussion, he determined that I could still go ahead, with some adjustments to my medication and concentrating on certain MF products he deems best for me.

So, thankfully, my rash symptoms are lessening; the itch is almost gone and the actual redness and spots are "nearly" gone. So, I plan to begin again within a few days. I am starting with high hopes and much prayer...

I so want MF to work with my body...because I have already seen the results it can bring and, though I can probably accomplish the weight loss some other way...the reality is that I have not yet done it any other way. I know that losing the weight is a critical issue for my health. Yes, when I lose the weight I will benefit by looking better. I will benefit by a boost to my emotional health. I will enjoy other freedoms that losing weight will bring to me...but none of them mean much at all compared to my health. I mean, a size 8 doesn't really mean alot if it's to fit into a smaller hospital gown or wheelchair.

So, for me...it is truly a matter of life or death...maybe not today or tomorrow....but, probably much sooner than I could imagine without making a dramatic turn from the direction I am currently headed.

I never really thought I would be so desirous of beginning a diet! But, I really am counting the days until I can start again. Yes, I have allowed myself a few favorites these days of being off plan...like....strawberries. I always have been a fruit person! And I had a baked potatoed one day. But, although I enjoyed them...it is true that I did not enjoy them as much as I was thrilled the day I realized I had lost 20 pounds on MF.!! These are things I must remember for later!

Well...I am off today and tomorrow for the 4th...so...time to play a bit!!! I tend to be an All work and no play kind of girl...so...I will plan some play today!!!! While I remember the holiday...and that I am proud to be an American....and that I have many blessings to count and much for which to be grateful!

Till later....

Janae
Janae

Postby Karli » July 3rd, 2006, 11:28 am

Hi Janae :).

Well, it sounds like things are going pretty well then, and I also am quite excited for you to be able to start back on the program (whenever that ends up happening).

Your desire to lose weight is of course a good one, and it just seems to me (from what I have witnessed in Dayna and in other people's posts here... and even in myself) it will provide a person the space to do so. It almost seems like a straight line, whether it would be as fast as we would like or not, it will happen. For me, that's what I needed to be able to put my mind at ease, because like you, I know that I could lose the weight another way, but that wasn't happening.

I guess the thing I am also appreciating about the program is that it helps one learn better habits. And, while the weight is important to lose, VERY important, the good habits are what actually makes the weight come off (and then stay off). And, I think that's ultimately what makes a person feel at peace and good about oneself... they have taken control of their eating habits and as a result, of their health and well-being in many ways. So for me, while I do really want to lose the weight, gaining those habits are more important or I feel I haven't a chance.

I hope whatever fun you have is going to be REALLY FUN (!!!) to help compensate for all the work that you do.

bye bye,
Karli
Karli

Postby Janae » July 11th, 2006, 11:25 am

Just a note today to say..... I finally was able to start MF again today - The rash is finally gone and I am trying it again. I am thrilled to start again, though I was surprised that it was more difficult to start this time than the first. I guess that is a fact to remember...knowing that to go off the program probably means it would be more difficult to restart each time that would happen. Moral: don't stop again, so as not to need to restart!!!

I am praying that things go well, no rash recurrence and that the losing begins again with a similar weight loss experience as I had the first time. I have been off MF for 2 1/2 weeks at my doctor's advice.

My diabetes complicates things a bit further...but I still see Medifast as a road to better health. The John Hopkins studies show it, personal testimonies from several diabetics on the program show it and I am believing that my own personal experience will show it as well!

Quote for today:
"The future depends entirely on what each of us does every day." Gloria Steinem

It is reassuring to me to know that I am shaping my future by the decisions I make and the actions I take...today!
Janae

Postby Karli » July 11th, 2006, 5:15 pm

YAY, Janae !!! :cleader:
Karli

Postby Lizabette » July 11th, 2006, 5:59 pm

JANAE,

I will be on the edge of my (much smaller) seat to hear what happens concerning your rash.

You have done so great trying to stay as close to an MF plan as possible while having to stay off plan. It will no doubt pay off for you.
Please keep us informed how you do...

We'll be cheering you on and pray you will be able make a roaring start on MF now. :drive:

Lizabette :heart:
195/135 - Reached goal, Aug. 31, '06
Lizabette
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Postby Janae » July 12th, 2006, 7:26 pm

Thanks, Karli for cheering me on!

And thank you, Lizabette, for your encouraging words...and especially for those prayers!

It is the end of Day 2, I have been eating the same packets I ate the first go-around...and so far, so good! I had further blood work, results of which should come in tomorrow. Doctor is still looking for other possibilities...plus checking some basic levels that can be a problem for me.

I am being very positive about this...and just expecting things to go well...NO rash! When I compare MF to my "as close as possible" plan...it was easy to get more lax, the longer I went eating other foods. I have obviously got a way to go in curbing my emotional eating and in the sheer discipline it takes to eat thinny.

For now...I am just staying compliant and expecting the best! And...by Sunday, I hope to be brave enough to weigh again! ;)

*off to the freezer for my frozen oatmeal cookies and a cup of hot tea before bed!*
Janae

Postby sidrah » July 13th, 2006, 2:51 am

Jumping in to say, "Hello". Is it possible for you to not have the products with soy in them? You are limited in options, but it is still doable.

Good posts...lots of siimlarities I share. I always wanted to go to cooking school, but teaching won out in the end. They were always neck and neck and I figure I can open up a B and B later on ...

Good luck and good job!
Don't really care as long as everything's better than yesterday was...

@}---- @}---- @}---- @}----
sidrah
Preferred member

Postby Janae » July 13th, 2006, 6:12 am

Teresa-

Thanks for chiming in! I appreciate your words of advice. The non-soy products are a possibility for me, but I am also diabetic-with some complications there. So, the diabetic products that are also non soy based are limited to two of the Cream soups and the Cranberry-Mango and Fruit punch. The other issue that I have to watch is the potassium...for me (due to diabetic complications)- I have to limit my intake of potassium. And the Fruit Drinks have quite a bit of it.

My doctor and I have looked at trying the non-soy route, but I am not sure if I could do it on the limited variety. I mean, I like Cream of Broccoli, but I'm not sure I could have it 5 times a day! :) If I could tolerate the Cocoa/Cappucino/Chai drinks as a diabetic- that would probably get me through, as I could use them cold as a shake and still have some variety.

This is Day 3...I am still keeping a positive attitude!! Thanks, again Sidrah for your post. And I could partner with you on that B & B! I have some marvelous recipes for Baked Caramel Apple French Toast and Baked Oatmeal with Fruit.....*slight pause for foody memories*...guess it is time for my chocolate shake breakfast! Mmmmmm Good!!!

Happy Day!
Janae

Postby Diana » July 14th, 2006, 2:08 am

Hey, Janae!

Glad the rash is gone. And I'm inspired by your determination to make this program work as best as it can for you! Sounds like you have an excellent doctor.

Thanks for the words of advice regarding our impending fair experience. Gates open in 9 hours. And I can't sleep! lol

I will add you to my prayer list. If there are specifics other than what I've read in your journal, please let me know.

Happy Friday! Day 4!! Are you feeling like you're back in the fat burning stage yet? (BTW, when Dayna went off plan, she mentioned, too, that it was much more difficult to get back on. Good incentive to be compliant. Thanks for the heads-up.)

Di
Here's to our mutual success! :buddies: --Diana
Diana
Preferred Member - #120 Club
Preferred Member - #120 Club

Postby Lizabette » July 14th, 2006, 5:49 am

JANAE,
Love your gorgeous avatar! WOOHOO!
Am sending another prayer your way this morning for your complete recovery!
With your comittment and determination, you will make it, girl!
195/135 - Reached goal, Aug. 31, '06
Lizabette
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Postby SharonR » July 14th, 2006, 9:16 am

Hi Janae,

I kept seeing you posting in other's journals and elsewhere and I was like who is this lady? She is so inspiring and encouraging. You have a real soft spirit I can tell. It's refreshing, thank you.

I'm hoping your rash stays away! Good luck to ya! Your first journal entry I thought I wrote myself! :| Food I realized, was and still wants to be my first love....

Thanks for all your kind words and input that you have here on forum. :heart:
Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

Start Weight 326.7 ~ My short term goal will put me at 250!

Started June 19th 2008. First Mini Goal 76.7 pounds.
SharonR
Preferred member

Next

Return to My Journal